2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A very good car and it requires maintenance
By redlude on 05/21/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have 100K miles on the car & have been very happy. I had an electrical issue. It was resolved. Maintenance costs can be cut in half by purchasing the parts yourself & then have a reputable non dealer garage install them. My chosen garage specializes in German vehicles and were rated very highly. I use Lucas and Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatements for injector cleaning & additional injector/fuel pump lubrication. I am gearing up to change my timing belt. I am going to pay $700 instead of the $1200 mentioned on another review here. I researched and purchased the parts online and provided them to my mechanic. I expect to see many miles more.... God willing and the creek don't rise

Good for 79,500 miles
By chrislongo on 11/11/13 07:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was a good car for 79,500 miles. Did all routine maintenance plus a new intake manifold but this was not enough to keep it going. It need a whole new engine after 79,500 miles.

If you want economy, you must pay for it!
By bud8138 on 04/10/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 115,000 miles on it. It gets great fuel economy, is fun to drive, looks good.....BUT....The regular maintenence costs will negate that great fuel economy, especially if you have the 6 speed automatic transmission, which is actually two manual transmissions in one case that is shifted hydraullicly. It requires regular maintenence every 80,000 miles tat makes one think they are buying a new tranny. Add to that a new timing belt at 90,000 miles that will run another $1200. So you see, you pay for that economy. I love the car but will not buy another. Oh yeah, a faulty fuse holder for one bank of headlights is another $520.00.

sehr gut!
By nivek3 on 04/09/12 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW and I really dig this German car. I have always wondered about the people that are fanatical about their VW’s. Now I know. The build quality absolutely kills anything American built. The handling and comfort are excellent. Did I mention the gas mileage? Highway is rated for I believe 42, yeah on bad day. When I travel long distances I get around 50. I really have enjoyed this car and I know see why people get obsessed with VWs.

Driven 11,000 miles since new.
By tappan on 02/24/12 10:48 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Pros: Styling is a homerun. Much better looking than anything else in its segment. It looks classy and expensive even when standing still. Interior is also a homerun. Nice quality material; leatherette (fake leather) looks real, but does not require any special care or maintenance and does not age or crack like real leather. Very peppy 170 Hp 2.5L I-5 engine. Power everything, including both front seats! Cons: Engine technology dates back 30 years to old Audi 5000. It's buzzy, growly, and noisy, especially when cold. Fuel economy is just OK, not remarkable. Great in-town car.

Das Auto!!!!!
By carrao33 on 02/21/12 19:36 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I have owned a couple big ole piece of chevys, and this is our first VW, we absolutely love it! For a small car it has enough power to make the car fun to drive, the handling is good, the tan leatherette interior makes the car feel luxurious. We also love being a part of the VW family, and find ourselves unconsiously parking next to other V-dubs in parking lots. I will probably never own another american car now.

Great Car
By poopoopeepee on 02/12/12 18:27 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car. My car is at 38k miles and the only problem I've had is weak break pads, but that can happen to any car. It is extremely smooth to drive. It has delayed steering, a great suspension, smooth shifting, and a VERY quiet engine. Im pretty young, and I drive manual transmission so I think that the quiet engine is a negative quality of the car, but that is a great thing for a lot of people. And the inside is amazing, I haven't had a person sit in my car and not give me a compliment. With heated seats (not leather), electric Everything, and plenty, i mean PLENTY of room in both the front and back seats, it feels like a $30k+ luxury vehicle. (only paid $14k)

35k Miles
By jettaowner5 on 01/09/12 14:33 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car a month ago with 34k miles. First of all, the exterior design of this car is a beauty. The 2012 Jetta is no where near as nice as this one. In addition, the newer models have backtracked in quality to make Jettas more competitive with Japanese and Korean sedans (another reason why I went with this 2009 Jetta) This 2009 interior is great. It is top notch quality with seat heaters, auxiliary input and soft touch dashboard. I feel like I'm riding a luxury car (which I think it is). Bought it for 14k. I love this car!

Hole on Side of Drivers Seat
By maolra on 12/24/11 23:50 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have enjoyed te car basically. Had front suspesion problemsit was a problem apprantly all 2009 Wolfsburg Jetta had . Service Dept was great rent a car free no problem. But I noticed a hole or abrasion at fist starting on drivers side @10k seat where seat belt comes around. Very noticable when car door is opened now. Now further stiching is is coming apart. Frame of seat pushing against side of drivers seat has created a hole the size of a mans thumb. V>W> is huh ?Calling V.W. North America as it has loded te value of car. I change my own plugs/coil and oil. Also spent the 100 bucks to get Bently manual. But I insist they replace the seat or I spend $225 for friont canvas seat covers.

2009 Jetta Wolfsburg
By brishimmel on 11/13/11 22:30 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I LOVE my Jetta. Before I started having problems with it I swore by VW and said my future cars would be VW's. Well in the past three weeks, that has changed. Once my Jetta hit 25k, everything went wrong. Check engine light always comes on, it has left me stranded two times in three weeks. Both times have been the fuel pump. The first time (3 weeks ago) the dealer said they replaced it, now I am doubting that they did. Now they are saying it is the fuel pump again. I called roadside asst which is still under my warranty and they charged me $250+ to have it towed to my dealer where I live. Again, love my Jetta but be sure you have $$ to fix it when it goes out of warranty.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$138 per month*