2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Still Smooth Sailing After 5+ Years
By jasonpdx on 03/19/15 12:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My 2009 TDI SE has treated me very well for over five years and 70K, and I am still happy with it. The build quality on this generation is really, really good (unlike the dumbed down start to the next gen after): the interior is premium and the exterior is quietly upscale and distinctive in a good way. Having heard from some about VW's prior reliability problems when I bought it, I wondered whether I'd be in for some unexpected bumps in upkeep. But this car has been 100% reliable, with no time in the shop except for the regular maintenance, a new set of tires, and (just recently at 70K) a new pair of rear brake pads. And I still get about 43 highway and low 30s city MPG-- above EPA.

VW should give cars away for free and charge for repair.
By starzyd on 01/26/15 12:24 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 09 TDI Jetta was the worst car I've ever owned. At 67,000 miles it fell into the exhaust manifold warranty and VW put an entire new system in my car at a value of $8,000. At 78,000 miles the ABS system went out, AC stopped working, Exhaust system failed again, and transmission was slipping. It needed $8,000 in repairs to keep running and was only worth that much for a trade in. I prayed for months that someone hit me so I could dump this car as the trade in value was only $500 bucks with all it needed. I'm severely disappointed in VW. This car cost $23k to purchase and within 4 and 5 years it needed $17,000 in repairs to maintain it barely running. Stay away from this vehicle!

Beware!
By shallquist on 01/15/15 04:25 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This review is for the 2009, but based on my research affects all TDI models. All TDIs have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) and they are prone to failure when the diesel fuel gets contaminated. My Diesel somehow got water in the diesel and apparently based on the rust in the tank this had been an on going problem. At 107000 miles the fuel system had to be replaced to the tune of $5,800 dollars. Apparently diesel fuel standards in the US are lower than that of Europe and VW hasn't taken that into consideration. Please CONSIDER this when purchasing.

A very good car and it requires maintenance
By redlude on 05/21/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have 100K miles on the car & have been very happy. I had an electrical issue. It was resolved. Maintenance costs can be cut in half by purchasing the parts yourself & then have a reputable non dealer garage install them. My chosen garage specializes in German vehicles and were rated very highly. I use Lucas and Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatements for injector cleaning & additional injector/fuel pump lubrication. I am gearing up to change my timing belt. I am going to pay $700 instead of the $1200 mentioned on another review here. I researched and purchased the parts online and provided them to my mechanic. I expect to see many miles more.... God willing and the creek don't rise

Good for 79,500 miles
By chrislongo on 11/11/13 07:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I was a good car for 79,500 miles. Did all routine maintenance plus a new intake manifold but this was not enough to keep it going. It need a whole new engine after 79,500 miles.

If you want economy, you must pay for it!
By bud8138 on 04/10/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 115,000 miles on it. It gets great fuel economy, is fun to drive, looks good.....BUT....The regular maintenence costs will negate that great fuel economy, especially if you have the 6 speed automatic transmission, which is actually two manual transmissions in one case that is shifted hydraullicly. It requires regular maintenence every 80,000 miles tat makes one think they are buying a new tranny. Add to that a new timing belt at 90,000 miles that will run another $1200. So you see, you pay for that economy. I love the car but will not buy another. Oh yeah, a faulty fuse holder for one bank of headlights is another $520.00.

sehr gut!
By nivek3 on 04/09/12 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first VW and I really dig this German car. I have always wondered about the people that are fanatical about their VWs. Now I know. The build quality absolutely kills anything American built. The handling and comfort are excellent. Did I mention the gas mileage? Highway is rated for I believe 42, yeah on bad day. When I travel long distances I get around 50. I really have enjoyed this car and I know see why people get obsessed with VWs.

Driven 11,000 miles since new.
By tappan on 02/24/12 10:48 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Pros: Styling is a homerun. Much better looking than anything else in its segment. It looks classy and expensive even when standing still. Interior is also a homerun. Nice quality material; leatherette (fake leather) looks real, but does not require any special care or maintenance and does not age or crack like real leather. Very peppy 170 Hp 2.5L I-5 engine. Power everything, including both front seats! Cons: Engine technology dates back 30 years to old Audi 5000. It's buzzy, growly, and noisy, especially when cold. Fuel economy is just OK, not remarkable. Great in-town car.

Das Auto!!!!!
By carrao33 on 02/21/12 19:36 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife and I have owned a couple big ole piece of chevys, and this is our first VW, we absolutely love it! For a small car it has enough power to make the car fun to drive, the handling is good, the tan leatherette interior makes the car feel luxurious. We also love being a part of the VW family, and find ourselves unconsiously parking next to other V-dubs in parking lots. I will probably never own another american car now.

Great Car
By poopoopeepee on 02/12/12 18:27 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car. My car is at 38k miles and the only problem I've had is weak break pads, but that can happen to any car. It is extremely smooth to drive. It has delayed steering, a great suspension, smooth shifting, and a VERY quiet engine. Im pretty young, and I drive manual transmission so I think that the quiet engine is a negative quality of the car, but that is a great thing for a lot of people. And the inside is amazing, I haven't had a person sit in my car and not give me a compliment. With heated seats (not leather), electric Everything, and plenty, i mean PLENTY of room in both the front and back seats, it feels like a $30k+ luxury vehicle. (only paid $14k)