Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

great vehicle until 80,000 miles
By Duke M

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

dealership support has always been an issue. I don't trust them to tell me the truth. After an dealership oil change I left on a long trip. 500 miles from home in the middle of nowhere, loud flapping noises from the engine compartment. I inspected and discovered that the underbelly pan was missing bolts. I limped along at 60 miles an hour for another 500 miles to a town that had a VW dealership. I had to pay to have the missing bolts replaced. Local home dealership denied to refund me the cost of the repair. It appears that it's a myth...Diesel engines are good for 100,000 's of miles. At 100,000 miles, the repair saga has begun. Do I dump and run or do I take my chances that the worst is behind me?

Still Smooth Sailing After 5+ Years
By jasonpdx

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My 2009 TDI SE has treated me very well for over five years and 70K, and I am still happy with it. The build quality on this generation is really, really good (unlike the dumbed down start to the next gen after): the interior is premium and the exterior is quietly upscale and distinctive in a good way. Having heard from some about VW's prior reliability problems when I bought it, I wondered whether I'd be in for some unexpected bumps in upkeep. But this car has been 100% reliable, with no time in the shop except for the regular maintenance, a new set of tires, and (just recently at 70K) a new pair of rear brake pads. And I still get about 43 highway and low 30s city MPG-- above EPA.

Excellent torque and sufficient power with high MPGs! Ride is just a little sporty yet still very comfortable Good looks that age well (I still get compliments, which is nice ;) Quiet (TDI quieter on the road than gasser version) DSG automatic is super fast Upgraded sound system still sounds great Heated seats Good visibility Letherette ages better than real leather Good safety features (lots of airbags and good ratings)

Crawling at slow speeds with a DSG is a little lurchy (unavoidable with dual clutch automated manual but could be refined a bit more) Maintenance costs at dealer are a little inflated Even with cold weather package, cabin takes a good five minutes to warm up on cold days (again, comes with the territory with diesel, but supplemental heating element could be more powerful) I had to install bluetooth for an extra $400! (Fortunately, VW fixed this oversight later I think)

VW should give cars away for free and charge for repair.
By starzyd

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 09 TDI Jetta was the worst car I've ever owned. At 67,000 miles it fell into the exhaust manifold warranty and VW put an entire new system in my car at a value of $8,000. At 78,000 miles the ABS system went out, AC stopped working, Exhaust system failed again, and transmission was slipping. It needed $8,000 in repairs to keep running and was only worth that much for a trade in. I prayed for months that someone hit me so I could dump this car as the trade in value was only $500 bucks with all it needed. I'm severely disappointed in VW. This car cost $23k to purchase and within 4 and 5 years it needed $17,000 in repairs to maintain it barely running. Stay away from this vehicle!

The diesel had a lot of get up and go. It is a speedy little car to get around town.

Stay away from these cars unless you have endless amounts of income to put into repairs. The exhaust on the new models is a nightmare. I wish it had a self destruct button. I would have loved to see this blow up to pieces. Worst piece of crap I've ever owned. Expensive to maintain because of the diesel aspect. My suggestion is to stop making them until you can figure out how to make a good car.

Beware!
By shallquist

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This review is for the 2009, but based on my research affects all TDI models. All TDIs have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) and they are prone to failure when the diesel fuel gets contaminated. My Diesel somehow got water in the diesel and apparently based on the rust in the tank this had been an on going problem. At 107000 miles the fuel system had to be replaced to the tune of $5,800 dollars. Apparently diesel fuel standards in the US are lower than that of Europe and VW hasn't taken that into consideration. Please CONSIDER this when purchasing.

Automatic Trip computer is very useful. I like the panoramic sunroof, but have begun to dread it since the drain tubes clog often and water ends up collecting in foot wells.

Fix the HPFP and put in a system to detect bad fuel!

A very good car and it requires maintenance
By redlude

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have 100K miles on the car & have been very happy. I had an electrical issue. It was resolved. Maintenance costs can be cut in half by purchasing the parts yourself & then have a reputable non dealer garage install them. My chosen garage specializes in German vehicles and were rated very highly. I use Lucas and Stanadyne Diesel fuel treatements for injector cleaning & additional injector/fuel pump lubrication. I am gearing up to change my timing belt. I am going to pay $700 instead of the $1200 mentioned on another review here. I researched and purchased the parts online and provided them to my mechanic. I expect to see many miles more.... God willing and the creek don't rise

Fuel Economy of course!! However, the interior is nice and well designed. Typically German IMO. I love the heated seats during the colder months. The trunk space is amazing for a car that size. In spite of some of the reviews in here, my car has been very reliable, sure there some quirks but I can live with it as it is. After the turbo kicks in, I love the rapid and smooth acceleration as well.

Agree the air conditioner could do better and the turbo lag has proven to be significant, if I do not keep that in mind while i am driving. I usually try to keep the RPMs up a bit and that normally keeps the lag at bay.