2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Luxury for little $$$

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

SEL Sedan (2.5L 5-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Luxury for little $$$
By Vince120 on

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After looking around at many of the comparable vehicles, none could compare and I bought the Jetta. I see a lot of this is great, that is great here so I'll focus on a couple of real quirks I've noticed, but don't get me wrong, I love everything everyone else loves about this car. First off is the visors/rear view mirror. How cheap! While the interior has THE nicest materials in this economy class, the visors are cheap plastic non-sense. The mini- vanity mirrors, with the quirky sliding door and the 1/2 matchstick light bulb are worthless. Center console room front and center is very tight. The rolling knobs for the seats and dash lights are difficult to adjust while driving.

It's great to drive, handles like on rails. 3 mode transmission is sporty. The heated side-view mirrors work great and did I mention that stereo is awesome! I like the style, especially in a market that has very little. The fit and finish, and ride make it seem like a much more expensive car.

Leave the cheapo visors/mirrors in the S or better yet, ship 'em to Japan and get some real material. Instead of the quirky center armrest mechanism, build it taller so there is more room. Get the dash lights all the same color and ditch those funky seat heater and dash dimmer knobs.