Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2008 Jetta Wolfsberg Edition
By ilchqb11

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my Jetta brand new at 0 miles and just yesterday I passed 100,000 miles and I have to say this is by far the best car I have ever owned; however, some people don't realize that owning and maintaining a VW takes a little bit of work. In order to make sure your vehicle lasts a long time it is vital that you stay up-to-date with recommended maintenance and NEVER get work done at a location other then a licensed Volkswagen dealership. If you follow those 2 simple rules you will be more than happy. I've heard horror stories about people buying a Jetta and having terrible experiences with it; yet they never really took the effort to take care of it or take it in for routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

My favorite features about the 2.0T FSI engine is the amount of aftermarket work you can put into it that makes it run even smoother and longer including ECU upgrades, exhaust system upgrades (that will NEVER rust), brakes, etc. Personally I would recommend using APR products because of the fact it doesn't compromise daily drivability. The interior is also fabulously built with quality materials; not like the fake noisy plastic you find on most imports.

Suggested Improvements

If there is one complaint about the car that I have to give it would be the suspension. The stock suspension makes you feel every bump/crack on the road which in turn creates a very bumpy ride. I was fooled at first because of my older car but after about 60,000 miles my back began to feel the difference; and now at 100,000 miles I'm beginning to look at new suspension kits to see if I can create a smoother ride. The upside to this though is once I replace it it will last forever. Take care of your Jetta and it WILL take care of you.

Used 2008 Jetta, fell in love on a Sunday!
By geekygirl

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I drove a smart car for three long years. Sunday morning I started searching the Internet, for maybe a new car I was looking for something different but I haven't had before. I ran a cross at 2008 white Jetta, it had no pictures but I ended up going to the dealership before it even opened. The door was unlocked and I fell in love instantly so I traded my 2008 Smart car for the pretty white Jetta. To date I have had 87 cars in the last 15 years mostly high-end I love the ride of the Jetta and the super large trunk which I didn't have with the smart. I am looking forward to many more years and yes cars are cars they all have problems no matter what.

Favorite Features

Look of the interior, as I don't like the new Jetta's. The blue and red gauges. It looks so good in white.

Suggested Improvements

Would've liked to have Bluetooth on this model and also a 12 V plug in the Console.

love the VW
By mpsmith

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have a 2008 vw jetta se. Love it, I also have a jeep but I needed a econ car. It was the only cheap good on gas car that I found that felt better then a wong tong box. It has nice features, heated seats, outside mirrors heated and power, pleather ;), the paint looks way better then my friends hondas or toyota after almost 4 years. I never have anything wrong with it. Its way faster then the competition in its class too, not even close. Drives 80 all day long on the freeway for 4 hours straight I never need to get out and stretch. Has safety and dummie lights for everything, even if you have a tail light out, love that. Full size spare and a HUGE truck, seriously I put my road bike in there

Favorite Features

You can roll the windows down with your key from the outside. Feels like your driving quality, people always like driving it. Huge trunk. Heated Seats, Heated outside mirrors. Windshield wipers that know when you have stopped at a light, so they stop and dont annoy you. Its not a regular old Japanese car

Suggested Improvements

Wish you could remove the back seat :0)

third times a charm??
By 5peedornospeed

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

my mom has had Jettas as her past two cars (a 1997 with 170,000 and a 2002 currantly with 100000 on it) both cars have never given any problems out of the normal range of expected maintanence so i decided on the 2008 jetta s as my next car. so far im very impressed, i got it with 54000 miles on it and it now has 62000. i have only owned the car a month. the first week i had it i took it from RI, to NC to CO(phish) and back to RI. the car isnt old enough for me to judge reliability but so far everything seems solid and the car seems very well built. i will update this review once i have put some real milage on the car.

Favorite Features

the stock stereo is very impressive, solid bass and very clear sound quality. the ride is smooth and the car is extremely comfortable to sit in. the transmition (5 speed manual) shifts smoothly and as with all VW's is very solid. for the cars size and power it gets great gas milage with an average of 34 highway and about 24-27 with city/highway combined. the car is responsive, has great handeling, and excellant pickup. it also has a massive tunk space.

Suggested Improvements

the first day i had the car the rear passengers side door lock actuator stopped working. since the cars systems are all electronic this was a major problem. thankfully the dealership fixed this problem for me free of charge. my only suggestion would be to add the manual lock feature back into the car, this way even if the electronics stop working you can still lock and unlock the doors. getting the actuator replaced would have cost me almost $1000, and in the city i feel that it is important to be able to lock your car. i personaly dont have $1000 floating around to fix a door lock so it would be nice to have a fall back so i could have the time to save up for the repair if need be.

First and last VW for me!
By mallory24

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car was bought for me as a first car and I absolutely loved everything about it. It's super cute, fun to dart in and out of traffic with and it had a great "giddy up" to it. Within the first year I started having mechanical issues with the car not starting. I took it to my local Firestone and got the battery, starter, alternator, and ignition checked out and I got a green light on everything. The next day I made an appointment with the VW dealership and they were just as unconcerned and rude as they could be. For almost two months I have been fighting this battle with VW for almost two months and I'm surely getting rid of this car as soon as possible.