Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Still lovin my Jetta
By John

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have owned my Jetta for a year now. I love driving it more every day. I have not had one problem with the car. It is great to drive around town or cross country. I have driven a lot of cars in my life and I don't believe you can get a better value for the money than a Jetta. It may not be the best at any one thing but overall It does everything well. For the price of the vehicle this is pretty hard to beat.

Favorite Features

Interior design is superb. The car is just fun to drive. The trunk is wonderful for a car this small. Acceleration and handling are excellent. Gas mileage has been great. I have averaged 29 mpg combined city/highway.

Suggested Improvements

At this point I have nothing negative to say about the car. Volkswagen put a lot of thought into all the little features that make this car great.

jettas rock
By smitty

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my VW jetta its fun to drive handles like its on rails and runs like a cat especially when we go driving in the mountains

Favorite Features

sun roof , 6disc , 5 setting adjustable heated seats , large trunk

Suggested Improvements

the clutch is a little to tight for my wife to drive it comfortably.

Good Value
By brian_b18

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Have had this car for about a year now and really like it. Jettas had a bad rep a few years ago for electrical problems but that appears to have been worked out. However I do have an annoying rattle on the dash and its a bit noisy on the freeway. It is a very fun car to drive and handles well in snow/ice even though I have low profile performance tires. TIP: if you are trying to get out of the snow then turn off ASR! It's a great safety feature when you're driving but if you need to get un-stuck then you don't want it on! I love the blue lit dash at night and the red lights that beam down from the roof. Very cool. My teenage son loves it and is now a VW fan. Car is very sharp looking.

Favorite Features

Interior is very modern and cool. Heated seats are great in the winter (surprised how much I liked it). Handles great. Nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

More power. 2.5L 5 cylinder only has 170 horse power.

I am wow'd
By Mattwitz1

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

A "career move" put me in the market for a commuter car. My 02 SS Camaro is not fuel efficient (Dont worry, I still have it) I had come to terms with purchasing a New Honda Fit. The deal did not go smooth, so I started to look at other options. I stumbled across an 08 Wolfsburg w 5k, priced at $16.5k on the internet. The next morning, I headed to the dealership and fell in love with it after the first drive. Loved all of the Wolfsburg add ons, especially the 2.0 Turbo! I never thought I would love driving a Jetta, but I do! I find it more fun to drive than my Camaro. To add to that, I have been averaging 30 MPG hwy as well. My only issue is an annoying rattle from the dash moulding.

Favorite Features

The Wolfsburg Edition presents a tremendous value. It gets great MPG, the DSG Automatic and especially the sport mode performance combined with the 2.0 Turbo is fantastic! I also like the Wolfsburg Wheels and Spoiler. I am a fan of the leatherette seats which look and feel good. Great European feel.

Suggested Improvements

There is an annoying rattle that I have pin-pointed to a peice of molding on the dash, between the dash and steering wheel. I have wedged some business cards into it to stop the rattle. The only other issue I would bring up would be with regards to the amount of windnoise during highway speeds.

Very Happy with 2008 Jetta
By Bill Johnson

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife wanted a BMW. This car is as close as u could come without the price. Jetta is tight, quiet and quick. the 170 hp 5 cylinder is quiet, fast and fun but i can get 37 mpg on highway. Wife and I are very different is likes and dislikes. This car came as a GREAT compromise for us. It fits any occasion we have come across so far. I am very happy so far 12,000 and no hint of any problem to take it back to the dealer.

Favorite Features

All of them. intermittent wipers slow down at stoplight, turn signals take just a slight touch to works. cruise is easy to access and work. Sport setting on 6 speed auto is fun to drive. console top slides forward to use as armrest. insnow dash indictor shows when wheels sliding. gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

change the way to recline the passager seat back. When I want to set the seat back to nap in the car on a trip you have a hand crank wheel to turn. It works but just a pain. Bucket seats are just a bit narrow