2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Nice city car and city hopper
By vwnow2008 on 03/04/09 16:09 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car to drive around the city, peppy engine, whats with the handle bars in the front console, whats with the 5in radio console. mpg could be a better, noisy engine, leather seats on the inside (side towards brake) is cloth ???.

A Lot of Bang for a Little Buck
By Justin on 02/18/09 11:11 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

We bought this car with 5000 miles on it for $17,000. It came with 19" VW wheels and was packed with all the great equipment the Wolfsburg comes with. We cannot believe how amazing of a deal we got. No problems at all. The blue lit up dash interior is great. The heated seats are fantastic and I am 6' tall and the car fits me perfectly. The turbo is smooth as well as the transmission. Plus the 6 disc/satellite radio system is amazing! I love this car!

Wolfsburg 2.0T: quality, fun, value, safe
By GJS on 02/17/09 12:21 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Looked for a commuter car that is not boring to drive. Tested all Honda's, Toyota's and Hyundai's and used Mercedes and BMW in the under 25k range. They had nothing to compare to the Jetta drive quality and feel. Bought mine in June 2008. Initial climate control malfunction which I had to contact the CEO of VW USA Mr. Jacoby, since dealer Bob Baker was clueless. Dealer in Escondido Classic is awesome and fixed problems 100% with the help of factory engineers. It was a faulty temp. sensor in the left vent. Driving over hills to work, 35 miles with 15 miles city driving I get 28-29 MPG at 70-80 and 30+mpg at 65MPH regular gas. Loves the responsiveness at any speed. Handling like Porsche.

Jetta Wolfsburg is the best deal around!
By vwguy53 on 02/09/09 04:59 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Excellent value and features. Wasn't a big fan of the 2005 redesign (looks are too Japanese...), but the 2.0T and 6-sp manual sold me! You get the GLI/GTI powertrain and top-notch build quality for not much more than Civic money. You'd have to spend thousands more to find a car with comparable performance, features, and quality. Herbie made me a VW fan. And owning 25+ VW's over the years have only made me more enthusiastic about the brand.

Excellent but not perfect
By vincef329 on 02/01/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

VW produces 5 Jetta models, the S, SE, SEL, Wolfburg, and the non-Jetta GLI (with the 4T engine). The S manual being the base, the SE Auto the most popular coming in at $21,000. For that hefty tag you get quite an impressive list of options including heated seats, satellite radio (not satellite ready!), 6sp, auto trans, full auto up/down windows (all 4) and a nice sun roof. Remote electric heated mirrors and remote trunk and fuel door. Heated washer nozzles and the newest I-beam wipers. Some say it's expensive but do a hard side by side comparison and you'll see that the Jetta is just a little more. You may not like the Jetta if: you like cushy seats, sloppy steering, need excessive legroom

2008 for the commuter
By longCommuter on 01/29/09 19:28 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just picked up a year end 2008 Jetta 2.5L stick for $15,200. I was on the fence between a Honda Civic & a Camry for a comfortable, yet long commute (90mi ea way). Although I read mixed reviews on the Jetta's gas mileage, and that may be why I didn't consider buying one. However, I've been driving the car and getting good gas mileage, 29mpg mixed driving. I recommend this car if you want a well-engineered car that's responsive, handles like a much more expensive car and is fun to drive.

Love at first sight
By Lindsey on 01/14/09 18:32 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Not only is this car beautiful from the outside it has a great interior. I live in a climate where it snows half of the year (basically) and I have never had a car that handles so well in the snow/ice. This car almost handles like a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the road at the worst of times. The Germans know how to make a great vehicle!

Many problems too fast
By jettasnotrok on 01/02/09 13:32 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a new jetta it seemed to offer good fuel economy and it does. I drive from Michigan to Florida a lot so it seemed like a good car to drive on the e-way with its good fuel economy. Well a week later after returning from Florida the car had 3,000 miles on it and the starter broke. Dealer fixed it free. The tires don't hold air (maybe there is a hole) so I replaced the tire that I filled up every week. But the check tire light was still on. Took it to the dealer and it was broken. When I go to start the car in the morning it revs up to 7,000 rpm for no reason and the slowly will settle back down. After the fuel injector went bad I sold the car with 17,000.

Not for those over 5'8''
By K on 12/28/08 20:08 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I am so disappointed in my car. I am almost 5' 9" and can not get comfortable in my seat at all. I started having back problem within about 2 months of having car and now my knee (which only hurts getting out of my car) It sits way too low. I had a bigger vehicle before this purchase and thought I wanted something smaller and more fuel efficient. I am getting low 20's for is partly due to the way I drive, it I can take off fast I do. This is definitely not the vehicle for me. Oh and I had no idea until someone told me weeks later that I needed premium gas due to the turbo engine. So I am paying the same for gas as I was for my larger vehicle. Very disappoint I chose this vehicle. If tall avoid.

More Fun than an Accord
By Mike F. on 12/17/08 23:53 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was *this close* to buying a Honda Accord. I didn't even look at a Jetta at first because of disastrous reliability - then I found out starting in 2007 things had turned around nicely. I drove the Jetta and dropped the Accord. On the "fun" scale, it just blows the Japanese and American cars away, imo. I also test drove the Audi A4, basically the same car for a lot less money. I noticed very little difference in the pickup and handling. Surprising amount of room - about the same as the old Passat. I have 4 kids, ranging from 9 to 15 and can fit all of us quite comfortably. One annoying thing - my power window switch acts up in the cold. Besides that - I love the car. Recommended!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.