Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Brakes
By Corey

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta. I have driven these vehicles for over 10 years now. This one is nice, but the 5 cylinder burns much more than my last 4 cylinder and without much more pep. My real complaint is the brakes, I am at 23,898 miles and about to change the rear brakes, AGAIN, for a cost of around 370 dollars. Coming from vehicles (VW included) that I went almost 50,000 miles on rear brakes this is disturbing to say the least. Still a great car, a few flaws and electronic issues as every Jetta I have owned or known anyone to have owned has had and would still recommend it if they fixed the brakes. Hope this helped.

Favorite Features

Quick and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Rear brakes first, and as always electrical system.

Love my VDub
By italianbrunette311

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, very safe in the snow. Coming from a sports car to this wasn't very hard because it has so much pep. Bought this car March 2008 and 2 years later I have not had one problem with it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, heated side mirrors, fake leather (real leather is so ugly and is hard to maintain)

Suggested Improvements

Power seats for both driver & passenger. Bigger rims, better mpg. More horsepower.. not exactly the TDI cup edition but come a little closer..

loved my vw jetta se
By bijoupali

2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned a 2008 VW jetta se for one year. I absolutely loved it. It's comfortable. It's fun to drive. It's reliable. The interior is very roomy and sexy. The exterior is also pretty. I drove the car in icy weather and it had very good control. The esp in it actually does work and makes it easy to regain control if you do begin to lose control. The only downfall to this car that I can remember is that the mpg isn't nearly as good as VW says it is. It's closer to 24/25 mpg not the 32/33 mpg that they advertise. Overall, it's a great car and worth every Penny. I'm actually about to buy another one, because I absolutely loved it.

Favorite Features

I loved the fact that I could move from automatic to stick to sports drive in a second. It had Nice pickup and control. It's also a really pretty, comfortable car. The trunk is huge. The six disc Sirius radio is also a definite plus. Once you go Sirius you don't go back.

Suggested Improvements

This is for VW, in general, they need a much better warranty plan. It's only 50,000 miles/4 years whichever comes first. Which really isn't a great warranty. Also the sunglass case could be bigger, because only small sunglasses fit in it. No other complaints. As I said, I'm about to buy another.

Nice power and no problems!
By Steve

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third VW and the best so far. I have been driving my Jetta since July 2008 and haven't experienced any problems. The car has nice power and many features (e.g. power everything, nice stereo) are standard. The only negative is the gas mileage isn't great but not much of a problem for me because I take mass transit to work.

Favorite Features

Engine power is nice. I have a manual and the shifting is smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage but the Jetta is a 5- cylinder.

Should have bought a Chevy
By VW Jetta

2008 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd attempt at owning a VW. The first one a Fox was less than stellar but I figured a lot of time had gone by so I would give VW another shot. So I traded my Honda Accord for a 08 Jetta 5 cyl. 5 spd. it is a lot more comfortable and the gas econ. is about the same. Now a almost a year into ownership and about 12k on the od. the car has developed an issue its missfired on the 3rd cyl. and ate the coil pack a week later and less than 500 miles it did it again although I wont know if its the same problem until it goes back to the shop. I will be looking into the Lemon Law soon. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR JUNK! I had similar prob. with the first one. Its too bad overall a good car.

Favorite Features

Ride room and above all comfort.

Suggested Improvements

build a better engine.