2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A step-up from my American cars
By Brandon on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my first german-engineered car and can easily say that it is far above any other American car that I've owned in terms of build quality and standard features as well as safety features. To be fair, the engine seemed under-whelming compared to say even an old Cavalier Z24 that I used to own. With that said however, acceleration at higher speeds is greater but just wish it had more "punch" from a stop. The interior is well-built and controls intuitive. I read about many complaints regarding the exterior looking too "corolla-ish" in the rear and too "audi-ish" in the front. I actually love the look of the vehicle to the chrome grill to the softer body design.

Still unsure
By Love it Hate it, too on 08/16/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The guy who said "love it, hate it" had it right. Love the car, but at 35,000 miles, I've had a LOT of costly warranty work on the transmission and issues with oil consumption that the service writers refuse to talk to me about. Its suspicious but apparently a common problem- Google it. The trans is going to go out again and already has signs of wear a tear.

Love it, hate it
By vincef329 on 07/11/10 05:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

2 years into my 3 year lease on my salsa red SE Jetta/auto now, 26,000 mi. I still love driving the Jetta and enjoy everyday commuting. The interior has worn well but mechanically and the paint have suffered. At one year old the car had a PCU failure and spent a week in the shop, VW reimbursed my partially for the rental. The red paint is very poor quality, chips off constantly. Finding the power through the electronic pedal and the mush transmission can be a challenge. If I had bought this car I would be very mad about the paint. I probably will not buy another VW. With so many nagging common issues, I'm disappointed that VW can't get it together and fix them and really have a great car.

I <3 my Jetta
By jsqaured on 07/01/10 06:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased this car used in April 2009 with 14k mileage. I've put about 11k on it since then and LOVE the car! I test drove so many cars from Civic, Corolla, Prius and Hyundai. I didn't want a jetta due to reliability concerns - but I decided to test drive one for fun and FUN it was!! This car is solid, I feel very safe and for the same price point as the others, it wasn't a comparison. The other cars felt like cheap plastic compared to this! I have no complaints about it after over a year. Well, gas mileage, but I knew that would be lower and I only put 10k miles/yr tops on my car anyway, so it wasn't a big issue for me.

First VW
By First VW on 04/17/10 22:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Love It! Bought it for my wife, but haven't stopped driving it at every opportunity. Fun to drive, fast, comfortable. Only problem is the DSG transmission. Wish I bought the manual. The DSG shifts smoothly but is awkward at a start, and is difficult to start on a hill. It's kind of like driving a manual shift without the benefit of controlling it with a clutch. The dealership says it's received many complaints but "that's the way it's supposed to work". BUT they extended the DSG warranty ;) Bottom line is that there's a problem, they don't know how to fix it, so they extend the warranty to calm the masses. Poor solution. BUT Would definitely buy it again. Most fun car to drive ever!

Brakes
By Corey on 04/09/10 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta. I have driven these vehicles for over 10 years now. This one is nice, but the 5 cylinder burns much more than my last 4 cylinder and without much more pep. My real complaint is the brakes, I am at 23,898 miles and about to change the rear brakes, AGAIN, for a cost of around 370 dollars. Coming from vehicles (VW included) that I went almost 50,000 miles on rear brakes this is disturbing to say the least. Still a great car, a few flaws and electronic issues as every Jetta I have owned or known anyone to have owned has had and would still recommend it if they fixed the brakes. Hope this helped.

Love my VDub
By italianbrunette311 on 03/15/10 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, very safe in the snow. Coming from a sports car to this wasn't very hard because it has so much pep. Bought this car March 2008 and 2 years later I have not had one problem with it.

loved my vw jetta se
By bijoupali on 03/04/10 14:27 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned a 2008 VW jetta se for one year. I absolutely loved it. It's comfortable. It's fun to drive. It's reliable. The interior is very roomy and sexy. The exterior is also pretty. I drove the car in icy weather and it had very good control. The esp in it actually does work and makes it easy to regain control if you do begin to lose control. The only downfall to this car that I can remember is that the mpg isn't nearly as good as VW says it is. It's closer to 24/25 mpg not the 32/33 mpg that they advertise. Overall, it's a great car and worth every Penny. I'm actually about to buy another one, because I absolutely loved it.

Nice power and no problems!
By Steve on 02/14/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third VW and the best so far. I have been driving my Jetta since July 2008 and haven't experienced any problems. The car has nice power and many features (e.g. power everything, nice stereo) are standard. The only negative is the gas mileage isn't great but not much of a problem for me because I take mass transit to work.

Should have bought a Chevy
By VW Jetta on 02/14/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd attempt at owning a VW. The first one a Fox was less than stellar but I figured a lot of time had gone by so I would give VW another shot. So I traded my Honda Accord for a 08 Jetta 5 cyl. 5 spd. it is a lot more comfortable and the gas econ. is about the same. Now a almost a year into ownership and about 12k on the od. the car has developed an issue its missfired on the 3rd cyl. and ate the coil pack a week later and less than 500 miles it did it again although I wont know if its the same problem until it goes back to the shop. I will be looking into the Lemon Law soon. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR JUNK! I had similar prob. with the first one. Its too bad overall a good car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.