Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Dissapointed
By Marc Comire

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When I first drove the car I fell in love with it and immediately bought it. The very responsive engine coupled with 18" performance tires made this car fun to drive. Just two months later and the clutch has way too much transmission feel and the gas consumption is not even close to the quoted technical specifications. Unless my dealer can solve the consumption issue I am estimating that this car will cost me $400-500 more per year than I should expect based on quoted estimates. In terms of the clutch, the feel has drastically changed from when I first took delivery. My dealer is claiming that it is operating normally. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Favorite Features

The look, the responsiveness and the agility.

Suggested Improvements

Meet the quoted fuel consumption.

08 Jetta Manual trans
By Tom in Las Vegas

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The 08 Jetta has very good, solid build quality, good power, excellent interior, and a huge trunk at this size of car. Mileage is so so, mine is right on the EPA estimate of 21-22 city, and 29 highway. Ride is smooth, and steering precise. Just enought road feed back to be useful to the driver. Driver seat should be wider, it is a little narrow in the seat, and I am not fat, just average size. Radio could be a bit stronger, and the ipod connector should be on the dash. If the Jetta just got slightly over 30 MPG, and slightly higher mileage in town it would be one of the best small to mid size cars. Plenty of interior space for 4 persons, 5 is a reach. The trunk is longer than my Camry.

Favorite Features

Solid build quality, huge trunk, good pickup, smooth quiet ride, excellent interior quality, good new car tires. Four year bumper to bumper warranty

Suggested Improvements

Wider driver seat, better gas mileage, more interior storage compartments, capability of extended visors, stronger air conditioning. VW is cheap on the 09 warranty, reducing it one year.

first jetta
By steve

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I drive a lot. The car does everything it should very nicely. When asked to work hard something is lacking. There is to much body roll,the peddles are a little to close together and a little more power would be nice. That said the car is a very good bang for the buck with all the standard features you could ask for. The 16 in. aluminum wheel upgrade is a must.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, interior layout, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

larger console, the way the revs hang between shifts is VERY annoying and the shifting could be smoother, especially when downshifting into first gear.

VW Jetta
By Helen

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Love it love it love it. My experience has been all positive-it handles well hugs the road. Mileage is as one would expect with a 2.5 engine-glad to see they are starting to import diesels these are the way to go for fuel efficiency and the reason Europeans are getting 50+ miles to the gallon! It also feels SOLID-I feel safe in this small car. Enormous space in the trunk. My only negative comment would have to be when it rains and the window is open you get wet!

Favorite Features

Feels solid with extras in the basic model which makes it feel like a more expensive car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the windows to stay dry when window is open.

Full satisfaction
By ibdtrader

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have owned my Wolfsburg Jetta 2.0T with the 6Spd DGS Auto since Late July '08. I've been a continuous VW owner for 4 decades and this is hands down the best I have ever owned and driven. If I had to spec a car to all my likes, I couldn't have thought it out any better than VW delivered this one. Oh, and it stops as well as it goes - great brakes! As the car sits stock, it also looks great with the nice factory upgrades such as the wheels, low profile deck spoiler.

Favorite Features

Hands down this car is about it's powertrain. The awesome 2.0T mated to the exceptional 6-spd DSG auto is the highlight of the car. Add the great handling and well-balanced chassis design, comfortable seats, power moonroof, and ergonomically designed interior.

Suggested Improvements

As my car came equipped with all that I need, the only other feature I would like is power memory driver's seat and an auto-dim rear view mirror