Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL PZEV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Ok, but watch for back brakes
By chordsnstrums

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The Jetta is a good car, but...BEWARE of the rear disc brakes/pads. They become extremely noisy! Like a big rig with squeaky brakes. I just shelled out $256 on new brakes at 14K miles. VW corp offered no assistance (2,200 miles out of warranty). Their stance is that everyone's brakes wear out at different rates. The CSR on the phone is the final say...there is no supervisor you can speak with. I've never heard of them wearing out at 14K miles. The underlying cause: Parking brake out of adjustment. Now who would have thought to check the brake cable on a brand new car? Other than that, drives fine, looks good, handles great.

Favorite Features

Interior, tiptronic tranny, alloys, creature comforts

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rear brake issue. The rear brakes start the braking process, then the front brakes kick in; this prevents nose dive stops. I will update my review when it is fixed. This issue is all over the Internet.

Awesome "upgrade" car!
By jenndr81

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I recently upgraded from a Mazda 3s sedan to my Jetta SEL. I am very pleased with all the features you get at the lower 20k price tag! The drive is so smooth with this car. My mom has a A4 Audi and the Jetta provides a very similar driving experience. Some features that are included in the SEL are sunroof, leather seats, upgraded superior sound system, 6 disc CD player, Sirius satellite radio with 3 months free subscription, pretty red lights shining down from front ceiling and blue lights in the instrument panel and music player, huge trunk with inside trunk release as a safety precaution. The Jetta also comes with a 5 star crash test rating. A lot of thought went into building this car.

Favorite Features

Satellite radio included with car, premium sound system, blue and red lights in car, sun roof, leather seats, chrome front bumper, multi-functional computer w/ miles to empty feature, smooth drive!

Suggested Improvements

None! I love this car and I've only had it a week!

Audi lite
By former audi owner

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Coming off of an '06 A4 lease and wanted another small German car. Loved the A4 but it was too expensive. Decided on the SEL knowing that it didn't have the same power or amenities. I've only had the car for 2 weeks and I've driven mostly in heavy traffic. My initial impression is that the SEL has a solid feel and is responsive. Low end torque is a little sluggish though. Interior is nice and clean. I'm not getting great gas mileage but I'm hoping that's due to the initial break-in period. All in all, a very impressive car for the price.

Favorite Features

MID, 3 months of sat.

Suggested Improvements

Auto lights, Homelink, memory seats, better pick-up.