2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
'08 VW Jetta 2 year Review
By Carlover on 12/29/09 09:50 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

D suspension is ok. Car feels sturdy + looks good. Engine power is ok, n has always turned on. D brakes are good for normal driving. D interior is well appointed and designed but d plastic grill covers on d front doors side speakers rattle with music. D 5 speed manual shifter's clear plastic cap is a little loose and makes noise when handled. D windshield wipers jolt after turning off car + d motor quit working at 21973 miles on d odometer. After proper procedure, reverse gear is a little tricky to engage. In Vigorous driving when shifting from 5th to 3rd gear, 3rd always gets denied at 55mph or above. Tail light burned out at 21352 miles on odometer. Minor electrical glitches from time2time

Too many Issues, LEMON warning
By drew_106 on 12/15/09 14:25 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Where to start? The first few weeks into the lease were great. Then the car started having a number of engine problems. The engine started hiccuping in the Spring of 2009. A week later the car was in the shop and the fuel pump had failed and needed to be replace at about 12,000 miles. More recently this past summer at 18,000 miles some connectors in the fuse box shorted out. This took 2 days in the shop for them to figure this out. Now I'm having different warning lights come on and off. The fuel cap warning light was of, then off. Today the tire pressure light is on, though the tires all look to be inflated properly. What next?!?

jettas rock
By smitty on 04/17/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my VW jetta its fun to drive handles like its on rails and runs like a cat especially when we go driving in the mountains

More Fun than an Accord
By Mike F. on 12/17/08 23:53 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was *this close* to buying a Honda Accord. I didn't even look at a Jetta at first because of disastrous reliability - then I found out starting in 2007 things had turned around nicely. I drove the Jetta and dropped the Accord. On the "fun" scale, it just blows the Japanese and American cars away, imo. I also test drove the Audi A4, basically the same car for a lot less money. I noticed very little difference in the pickup and handling. Surprising amount of room - about the same as the old Passat. I have 4 kids, ranging from 9 to 15 and can fit all of us quite comfortably. One annoying thing - my power window switch acts up in the cold. Besides that - I love the car. Recommended!

Fantasic Value for the Money
By Sabatical on 12/03/08 13:53 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

There is nothing on the market for $21,000 that compares. I've owned a 1990 and a 1997 Jetta and they keep getting better. I was worried about not getting the turbo but the 2.5 inline 5 with the manual trans has great torque and performs really well. I've only had it for 4 months and no problems at all yet. I got the black with black interior and it looks pretty refined. It is hard to justify buying an Audi A4 when the Jetta is pretty similar for $15K less.

I love my Volkswagen.
By crystal on 11/24/08 22:55 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost a year now (purchased Dec. 07) and have put almost 17,000 miles on it and I still love it as much as the day I purchased it, maybe even more. When I went in to test drive, I really had no intention of buying it, but after the test drive I was sold. I got an awesome deal on it, bought it for $19,300, which is an amazing deal for all the features that come on this car. My favorite thing about the car is definitely the interior. The car is easy to clean, it's really comfortable. Prior to owning this I had a Honda S2000 and I never would have thought I'd love having a VW as much as I do.

German engineering
By fisrstandlastjetta on 11/23/08 18:16 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Not impressed by German engineering 10,000 miles car leaks oil, gas cap malfunction, interior vibrating. Fun to drive; race car feel with race car type maintenance. This car truly needs an owner who really loves it, sad to say soon to be a pre-loved? vw.

Keeping my little girl safe.
By donnievalens on 08/19/08 10:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After to doing all the research on vehicles in this segment you will find out like I did that you get the most for your money with the jetta. The car outperforms others such as the civic and corolla not to mention the options you get as standard equipment such as a moonroof and heated seats in the SE model that I have.But what really got me was how well put together this car really is.Its super solid,there's no real body roll when banking into turns.The clutch is light as a feather so I know my 115 pound little girl wont have trouble with fatigue in those days in traffic not to mention the smooth seamless shifting the manual transmission gives you.And after she saw it's styling she wanted it

Buy one you WON'T regret it!
By Driver Hired! on 07/26/08 14:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well I originally wanted to purchase a two year old Audi A4. It would be in the price range I was looking for. I came across the Jetta and actually thought it was the Audi. Doing some homework on the Jetta revealed that it has one of the highest safety ratings, is a cousin of the A4 and is an overall excellent value. The Jettas prior to 2008 were more expensive and was not crazy about the wheels and tail lamps. 2008 VW changed them and lowered the price. I now own my Jetta and get compliments everywhere I go!! The car has almost every option I could need and it only cost me $20,500. every car in its class doesn't even come close to the Jetta in Value. AND it's German..

"Wow"
By Fan on 05/01/08 08:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Drove 5 hours to DC area to get color combination 5spd I wanted; traded in '07 Civic, best 5 hour drive back I've ever had! Power, torque & handling are incredible! This is the way a car is supposed to handle! Getting 25 mpg, just like I anticipated the 5 cyl would. This my 8th VW, but have not had one in the last 5 years; this one is the "best of all the rest!"-- Don't need a GTI!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in NJ is:

$204 per month*