Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta SE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

'08 VW Jetta 2 year Review
By Carlover

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

D suspension is ok. Car feels sturdy + looks good. Engine power is ok, n has always turned on. D brakes are good for normal driving. D interior is well appointed and designed but d plastic grill covers on d front doors side speakers rattle with music. D 5 speed manual shifter's clear plastic cap is a little loose and makes noise when handled. D windshield wipers jolt after turning off car + d motor quit working at 21973 miles on d odometer. After proper procedure, reverse gear is a little tricky to engage. In Vigorous driving when shifting from 5th to 3rd gear, 3rd always gets denied at 55mph or above. Tail light burned out at 21352 miles on odometer. Minor electrical glitches from time2time

Favorite Features

The huge trunk and wide door entrances all around, convenience hooks in the trunk, 12v outlets in cabin and trunk. Auto up/down all windows from outside the car. Well lit interior. Full size spare. Pneumatic trunk open. Folding front passenger seat. Adjustable arm rest. Height adjustable front seats

Suggested Improvements

More than one little light in the trunk. Fix computer code that causes glitches with electrical system. Change material on front doors speaker grills. Put better quality shifter cap. Add electric switch to front passenger lumbar support, remove the knob. Better quality tail light bulbs. More HP!

Too many Issues, LEMON warning
By drew_106

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Where to start? The first few weeks into the lease were great. Then the car started having a number of engine problems. The engine started hiccuping in the Spring of 2009. A week later the car was in the shop and the fuel pump had failed and needed to be replace at about 12,000 miles. More recently this past summer at 18,000 miles some connectors in the fuse box shorted out. This took 2 days in the shop for them to figure this out. Now I'm having different warning lights come on and off. The fuel cap warning light was of, then off. Today the tire pressure light is on, though the tires all look to be inflated properly. What next?!?

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior. Decent power.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is terrible. I'm glad of leasing. Can't wait to get rid of it. Gas Mileage isn't great either. 27 MPG Hwy for the MT. Needs to have a 6spd manual instead of the 5spd.

jettas rock
By smitty

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my VW jetta its fun to drive handles like its on rails and runs like a cat especially when we go driving in the mountains

Favorite Features

sun roof , 6disc , 5 setting adjustable heated seats , large trunk

Suggested Improvements

the clutch is a little to tight for my wife to drive it comfortably.

More Fun than an Accord
By Mike F.

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was *this close* to buying a Honda Accord. I didn't even look at a Jetta at first because of disastrous reliability - then I found out starting in 2007 things had turned around nicely. I drove the Jetta and dropped the Accord. On the "fun" scale, it just blows the Japanese and American cars away, imo. I also test drove the Audi A4, basically the same car for a lot less money. I noticed very little difference in the pickup and handling. Surprising amount of room - about the same as the old Passat. I have 4 kids, ranging from 9 to 15 and can fit all of us quite comfortably. One annoying thing - my power window switch acts up in the cold. Besides that - I love the car. Recommended!

Favorite Features

Fit and finish, handling and acceleration, interior layout and room (nice headroom! I've got a long torso and can fit even with the sunroof - couldn't fit in the Camry or Accord with a sunroof)

Suggested Improvements

Center console restricts right leg movement too much - make it a couple of inches narrower. That's about it.

Fantasic Value for the Money
By Sabatical

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

There is nothing on the market for $21,000 that compares. I've owned a 1990 and a 1997 Jetta and they keep getting better. I was worried about not getting the turbo but the 2.5 inline 5 with the manual trans has great torque and performs really well. I've only had it for 4 months and no problems at all yet. I got the black with black interior and it looks pretty refined. It is hard to justify buying an Audi A4 when the Jetta is pretty similar for $15K less.

Favorite Features

Power from 2.5, manual transmission, interior feel and design, handling

Suggested Improvements

Don't make the doors lock automatically when going more than 5 mph, change the front end styling, improve the stereo sound