Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Brakes
By Corey

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta. I have driven these vehicles for over 10 years now. This one is nice, but the 5 cylinder burns much more than my last 4 cylinder and without much more pep. My real complaint is the brakes, I am at 23,898 miles and about to change the rear brakes, AGAIN, for a cost of around 370 dollars. Coming from vehicles (VW included) that I went almost 50,000 miles on rear brakes this is disturbing to say the least. Still a great car, a few flaws and electronic issues as every Jetta I have owned or known anyone to have owned has had and would still recommend it if they fixed the brakes. Hope this helped.

Quick and handles very well.

Rear brakes first, and as always electrical system.

Nice power and no problems!
By Steve

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third VW and the best so far. I have been driving my Jetta since July 2008 and haven't experienced any problems. The car has nice power and many features (e.g. power everything, nice stereo) are standard. The only negative is the gas mileage isn't great but not much of a problem for me because I take mass transit to work.

Engine power is nice. I have a manual and the shifting is smooth.

Gas mileage but the Jetta is a 5- cylinder.

Should have bought a Chevy
By VW Jetta

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd attempt at owning a VW. The first one a Fox was less than stellar but I figured a lot of time had gone by so I would give VW another shot. So I traded my Honda Accord for a 08 Jetta 5 cyl. 5 spd. it is a lot more comfortable and the gas econ. is about the same. Now a almost a year into ownership and about 12k on the od. the car has developed an issue its missfired on the 3rd cyl. and ate the coil pack a week later and less than 500 miles it did it again although I wont know if its the same problem until it goes back to the shop. I will be looking into the Lemon Law soon. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR JUNK! I had similar prob. with the first one. Its too bad overall a good car.

Ride room and above all comfort.

build a better engine.

Good Value
By brian_b18

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Have had this car for about a year now and really like it. Jettas had a bad rep a few years ago for electrical problems but that appears to have been worked out. However I do have an annoying rattle on the dash and its a bit noisy on the freeway. It is a very fun car to drive and handles well in snow/ice even though I have low profile performance tires. TIP: if you are trying to get out of the snow then turn off ASR! It's a great safety feature when you're driving but if you need to get un-stuck then you don't want it on! I love the blue lit dash at night and the red lights that beam down from the roof. Very cool. My teenage son loves it and is now a VW fan. Car is very sharp looking.

Interior is very modern and cool. Heated seats are great in the winter (surprised how much I liked it). Handles great. Nice looking car.

More power. 2.5L 5 cylinder only has 170 horse power.

Dissapointed
By Marc Comire

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When I first drove the car I fell in love with it and immediately bought it. The very responsive engine coupled with 18" performance tires made this car fun to drive. Just two months later and the clutch has way too much transmission feel and the gas consumption is not even close to the quoted technical specifications. Unless my dealer can solve the consumption issue I am estimating that this car will cost me $400-500 more per year than I should expect based on quoted estimates. In terms of the clutch, the feel has drastically changed from when I first took delivery. My dealer is claiming that it is operating normally. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

The look, the responsiveness and the agility.

Meet the quoted fuel consumption.