Used 2008 Volkswagen Jetta SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love my VDub
By italianbrunette311

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, very safe in the snow. Coming from a sports car to this wasn't very hard because it has so much pep. Bought this car March 2008 and 2 years later I have not had one problem with it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, heated side mirrors, fake leather (real leather is so ugly and is hard to maintain)

Suggested Improvements

Power seats for both driver & passenger. Bigger rims, better mpg. More horsepower.. not exactly the TDI cup edition but come a little closer..

Ended my winter worries
By Buzz

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We exchanged our 2008 Mazda 3i in because as fun as it was to drive, it floundered on even the shallowest hills if there was snow on the road. My spouse was terrified getting to work, so our New Year's resolution was to drive a safer car. We bought this pre-owned Jetta to replace the Mazda. WOW WHAT a Difference! This car is solid and we now realize what "hug the road" means. The stability of this vehicle is complemented this winter by the toasty-warm heated seats which almost makes me reluctant to get out of the car. Volkswagen clearly takes Pride in their Jetta and its design. Inside and out it is a wonderful choice. It could stand more storage space up front for CD's and such.

Favorite Features

Handling and traction, heated seats, sunglasses holder, general interior

Suggested Improvements

More storage for CDs, coins, etc. Better mileage, lighted keyhole, lower prices :)

Very Happy with 2008 Jetta
By Bill Johnson

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My wife wanted a BMW. This car is as close as u could come without the price. Jetta is tight, quiet and quick. the 170 hp 5 cylinder is quiet, fast and fun but i can get 37 mpg on highway. Wife and I are very different is likes and dislikes. This car came as a GREAT compromise for us. It fits any occasion we have come across so far. I am very happy so far 12,000 and no hint of any problem to take it back to the dealer.

Favorite Features

All of them. intermittent wipers slow down at stoplight, turn signals take just a slight touch to works. cruise is easy to access and work. Sport setting on 6 speed auto is fun to drive. console top slides forward to use as armrest. insnow dash indictor shows when wheels sliding. gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

change the way to recline the passager seat back. When I want to set the seat back to nap in the car on a trip you have a hand crank wheel to turn. It works but just a pain. Bucket seats are just a bit narrow

Changed My Mind
By Heather

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

When I first purchased this car it was just a car to get from point A to B. Now that I've had it over 4 months I absolutely LOVE this car. After learning how to drive with the S and shifters it is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. Oil change ran 60 bucks at the dealer. Seems very maintenance friendly. MPG about 25 city driving. I'm not a lead foot so I think it is pretty reasonable. The only thing lacking is that I originally wanted a hatchback to haul stuff. I don't have the storage space I need, but after all it is a sedan. If you are in the market for a sedan definitely check this one out! I wasn't looking for this car it kinda found me. Overall very pleased.

Favorite Features

All Interior applications for SEL model. Like the trunk release.

Suggested Improvements

I wanted more trunk space, but this is a sedan. I haven't figured out a way to release the door locks without actually unlocking the key chain/passenger doors. It is kind of annoying, but a safety feature none- the-less.

Luxury for little $$$
By Vince120

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After looking around at many of the comparable vehicles, none could compare and I bought the Jetta. I see a lot of this is great, that is great here so I'll focus on a couple of real quirks I've noticed, but don't get me wrong, I love everything everyone else loves about this car. First off is the visors/rear view mirror. How cheap! While the interior has THE nicest materials in this economy class, the visors are cheap plastic non-sense. The mini- vanity mirrors, with the quirky sliding door and the 1/2 matchstick light bulb are worthless. Center console room front and center is very tight. The rolling knobs for the seats and dash lights are difficult to adjust while driving.

Favorite Features

It's great to drive, handles like on rails. 3 mode transmission is sporty. The heated side-view mirrors work great and did I mention that stereo is awesome! I like the style, especially in a market that has very little. The fit and finish, and ride make it seem like a much more expensive car.

Suggested Improvements

Leave the cheapo visors/mirrors in the S or better yet, ship 'em to Japan and get some real material. Instead of the quirky center armrest mechanism, build it taller so there is more room. Get the dash lights all the same color and ditch those funky seat heater and dash dimmer knobs.