2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Brakes
By Corey on 04/09/10 15:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta. I have driven these vehicles for over 10 years now. This one is nice, but the 5 cylinder burns much more than my last 4 cylinder and without much more pep. My real complaint is the brakes, I am at 23,898 miles and about to change the rear brakes, AGAIN, for a cost of around 370 dollars. Coming from vehicles (VW included) that I went almost 50,000 miles on rear brakes this is disturbing to say the least. Still a great car, a few flaws and electronic issues as every Jetta I have owned or known anyone to have owned has had and would still recommend it if they fixed the brakes. Hope this helped.

Nice power and no problems!
By Steve on 02/14/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my third VW and the best so far. I have been driving my Jetta since July 2008 and haven't experienced any problems. The car has nice power and many features (e.g. power everything, nice stereo) are standard. The only negative is the gas mileage isn't great but not much of a problem for me because I take mass transit to work.

Should have bought a Chevy
By VW Jetta on 02/14/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd attempt at owning a VW. The first one a Fox was less than stellar but I figured a lot of time had gone by so I would give VW another shot. So I traded my Honda Accord for a 08 Jetta 5 cyl. 5 spd. it is a lot more comfortable and the gas econ. is about the same. Now a almost a year into ownership and about 12k on the od. the car has developed an issue its missfired on the 3rd cyl. and ate the coil pack a week later and less than 500 miles it did it again although I wont know if its the same problem until it goes back to the shop. I will be looking into the Lemon Law soon. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR JUNK! I had similar prob. with the first one. Its too bad overall a good car.

Good Value
By brian_b18 on 03/23/09 16:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Have had this car for about a year now and really like it. Jettas had a bad rep a few years ago for electrical problems but that appears to have been worked out. However I do have an annoying rattle on the dash and its a bit noisy on the freeway. It is a very fun car to drive and handles well in snow/ice even though I have low profile performance tires. TIP: if you are trying to get out of the snow then turn off ASR! It's a great safety feature when you're driving but if you need to get un-stuck then you don't want it on! I love the blue lit dash at night and the red lights that beam down from the roof. Very cool. My teenage son loves it and is now a VW fan. Car is very sharp looking.

Dissapointed
By Marc Comire on 10/23/08 20:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When I first drove the car I fell in love with it and immediately bought it. The very responsive engine coupled with 18" performance tires made this car fun to drive. Just two months later and the clutch has way too much transmission feel and the gas consumption is not even close to the quoted technical specifications. Unless my dealer can solve the consumption issue I am estimating that this car will cost me $400-500 more per year than I should expect based on quoted estimates. In terms of the clutch, the feel has drastically changed from when I first took delivery. My dealer is claiming that it is operating normally. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

08 Jetta Manual trans
By Tom in Las Vegas on 10/15/08 16:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The 08 Jetta has very good, solid build quality, good power, excellent interior, and a huge trunk at this size of car. Mileage is so so, mine is right on the EPA estimate of 21-22 city, and 29 highway. Ride is smooth, and steering precise. Just enought road feed back to be useful to the driver. Driver seat should be wider, it is a little narrow in the seat, and I am not fat, just average size. Radio could be a bit stronger, and the ipod connector should be on the dash. If the Jetta just got slightly over 30 MPG, and slightly higher mileage in town it would be one of the best small to mid size cars. Plenty of interior space for 4 persons, 5 is a reach. The trunk is longer than my Camry.

2008 S Model Jetta
By Jetta on 04/19/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car rides quietly and has some pick-up, however, I feel it gets below average gas mileage that is one of my biggest complaints. I can go about 320 miles before I have to refill the tank. I drive a lot of highway miles and they advertise that the car gets 28 or 29 mpg highway, however, that is not the case. The air conditioning works pretty well and I like the ipod adapter in the car. I have a sunroof on my car but noticed that when it's open and I drive there is a considerable amount of air noise, it's kind of annoying. I love the amount of trunk space in the car - very roomy! Also it can comfortably fit 4 adults in the car. I believe there is even 3 seat belts in the back.

It has been a nightmare
By Juan R on 04/10/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought this brand-new-vehicle 3 months ago, and soon I noticed an unexpected oil consumption. I took it to the VW dealer (where I bought it from) and the diag.results were: * 20km-road-test ->300ML oil consumption (They said "Any oil consumption is abnormal") * Transmission problems * Gear system issue * Brakes issue I want to return the vehicle, and get my money back, but they say they will just fix it. I have not had any other choices since the law here only makes them fix the issues, and does not let clients get a vehicle replacement, nor their money back. I am still talking to VW corporate in Mexico, with no luck yet. Anyone knows where to submit a complain outside of Mexico?

Impressed. . .
By Woz on 04/04/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Every-time I get behind the wheel of my Jetta, it brings a smile to my face! It is actually fun to drive again! The car handles the roads in WA with ease, and it shifts smoothly. The car definitely loves being in higher RPM, and drives well at low RPM. The trunk is another impressive thing! At 16 cu.Ft. It can handle a big stroller, luggage and other things with ease. Friends are impressed with how much we can back into a "compact" car. Our Jetta is just a base 5 speed manual, but it doesn't feel like it at all. It's a huge upgrade from any domestic brand. Road handling both side streets and highway is solid and predictable without being boring.

Jetta - 3rd Time Around
By Jakeman on 03/15/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd VW Jetta and so far is my favorite. I had two earlier models and this one is a much better car. I really enjoy driving it. Even the S was enough. Wheel upgrades are a must over the hideous hubcaps. Buy some online or upgrade at the dealer to one of the VW wheels. I went with the 17" Goal wheels and they are awesome looking. Make the car complete. Also added the silver taillights, What a good look that is.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan in WA is:

$155 per month*