2007 Jetta 2.5 L (5 speed M) Review
By Dave Havriliak on
2007 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
Simply put, this is a car of great compromise. This is my first VW. I wanted to reduce my operating costs due to rising fuel prices in the middle of 2006. Therefore the Jetta was considered. I am really glad I got one. It will be used as a commuter car that will get 100 miles per day put on it. As of today it has about 8,000 miles. I am getting 28 MPG (mostly freeway 72 MPH average with cruise control and regular unleaded). I use Mobil 1 synthetic (0- 40 wt) oil. Although the 5-cyl. engine lacks a little torque in the low RPM range, the 5 valve head runs pretty decent if you need to put your foot in it (above 3,000 RPM). I am 6' 1", 205 lbs and find the Jetta to have great comfort.
Favorite Features
The satellite radio, smooth transmission, great ride, roomy trunk. nice interior design, easy to change oil/filter, easy reset maint computer. My son-in-law enjoyed the guitar for Christmas. I am glad to find nice people at VW, since Honda was acting too arrogant for me.
Suggested Improvements
Give it an engine that makes better torque down low (2000 - 4000rpm) where you really need it. There's no reason not to have a 6-speed manual transmission for the 2.5L. Sell cheaper oil filters, $14 per filter is a little excessive for a $21,000 car. Don't ya think?