Used 2007 Volkswagen Jetta Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Easily the best car in its' class
By homerkc

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just turned 75K miles; a GREAT car for the past 5 yrs. It's economical (23-31mpg), sufficiently fast, rides better on the highway than cars costing much more, big trunk, and top safety ratings. It's a pleasure to drive every day, and it's just a base model car with the 150 HP engine. I had the rear brake problem, but my dealer put new rotors on under warranty and everything seems to be OK. I've put little else into the car - I do much of the routine maintenance myself, and without the dealer labor, the upkeep is reasonable. I enjoy the little luxuries on the base car, like soft touch plastics, lighted switches, climate control, 1 touch windows, etc. A great deal and reliable, too.

Road feel and handling. This is my fourth new VW and I keep buying them because nothing else in this price range drives quite like a VW. The car feels as solid and secure at 80-100 MPH as most cars do at 60. There is sufficient power in the 5cyl for any driving, and will cruise at the elevated speeds already mentioned - all day. Twice I've cruised at triple digits and my wife, reading a book, never noticed the speed.

Why aren't the seats made with the same foam padding as the German cars use? The Golf/Rabbit of the same year had much more comfortable seats, and they were theoretically the same.

Good mileage, my foot!
By DanTheMan2007

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Jetta, 3rd VW in all. My '98 Jetta got well over 30 mpg. My '07 averages 18 mpg! I've been back to my dealership 4 times and they basically tell me 'too bad'. I contact VW Corporate and they told me I have to work with the dealership, and that Corporate has nothing to do with it. Overall, I love the car, except the gas mileage and the lack of power (feels like 4 cylinders, not 5). I'm very disappointed in VW on the way they handled this issue.

Fun to drive. Headlights are very bright. The car is sporty. Power windows and radio still work after you turn the car off. Keyfob trunk release is cool as it opens the trunk for you. Two power jacks in the car. Moonroof air vent is cool. Turn signals on side mirrors are nice.

What genius thought of putting the MP3 jack in the glove box? The moonroof (when used alone) makes a whole lot of noise. The brakes shoot out a lot of excess brake dust. My rims are always black and I don't beat on the brakes. 5 cylinders feel like 4. A/C isn't as cold as wife's new Sentra.

07 Jetta VP
By J

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the Jetta thinking it was a German car that was pricey but worth the money due to the materials and workmanship. I am incredibly disappointed. When I picked up the car the keyless entry didn't work and the radio had interference. The dealer to date is unable to fix the radio. It sounds bad enough to drive me crazy and not terrible enough for the VW people to care. They replaced the radio once and it still is not fixed. Even worse I had to visit the dealership 7 times to have them keep trying to fix it. That is not including the 8 times for them to fix my keyless entry. I have only owned Hondas until this VW. I will never buy a VW again.

Handling.

New radio, better workmanship. The quality is not good.

2007 Volkswagen Jetta
By mboggian

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

When I searched for my first new car, I had focused on Honda, as I have had good experiences with Hondas previously. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the VW Jetta. It is small on the outside and big on the inside, there's plenty of space for passengers and storage. It's a lot of fun to drive. The only drawback it has is it gets lower gas mileage than I would like. I can justify this by attributing the lower gas mileage to a heavy car body, which serves as an excellent safety feature.

As Expected
By Babbo

2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is not a sexy car, but it offers good service and comfort at a very favorable value. "The People's Car"

The overall value of the Jetta is hard to beat. My new 2007 is my 4th VW and it is good to see that the company finally decided to get back to it's core roots. Mexican assembly has helped keep the cost down so let's hope that German work standards have not been eased.

The standard seats do not offer enough comfort settings. The center side post between the front and rear seats is very wide and obstructs side vision. There needs to be removable cup holder liners. The standard "leather" shift boot is too thin and feels/looks cheap. The driver's right side leg room is scant.