2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Spewing black smoke from exhau

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

TDI Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

Spewing black smoke from exhaust
By Clark (Hamilton) on

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just found this site and noticed someone else has the same issue! I assumed my car was a diesel and would emit black smoke so never panicked. It seemed to get worse so I asked the "simple" question at my dealer. They told me bring it in. Should be a simple hose replacement $150ish. 4 hours later. I come back to find my engine completely apart. The mechanic brings me back and shows me scoring on my fuel injectors and tells me my engine is shot! $7,000 estimate from the dealer to rebuild only the top portion of my engine and I only have 130,000 km on it! I intend to take this to the top.
By jettatdigreen
on 01/31/11 19:00 PM (PST)

Yes the infamous cam shaft and lifters failure mode. Just wait - your turbo will destroyed next. This is a cascading problem area for VW. As soon as you have these problems they only escalate until the repairs exceed the value of the car. Don't be fooled - haven't you noticed you don't see a lot of older VWs on the road? There is a reason for that! Reliability is horrible.