OH BROTHER
By onlooker4u on
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
Bought used with 50k miles on it. Owned VW before so the peeling paint off the radio buttons and the loose headliner was no big deal (similar to my 1980 rabbit). At 95k the clutch is going out and I am afraid of whats going to be lurking under the hood. Havent fixed it, spent all weekend reviewing websites (plenty of them). I am surprised that VW hasn't had a recall. Lesson: Dont buy the 2006 TDI, and to be honest, think seriously about other TDI. If VW does something mechanically wrong, they apparently don't do the right thing and have a recall. UGGGGGH.
Favorite Features
MPG is the reason the majority of us.
Suggested Improvements
Recall: camshaft, flywheel and clutch. Better interior components. My 1980 vw rabbit had knobs break, handles pull off, interior fall apart. My 2006 jetta has similar problems: trunk wont close easily (6 tries), radio buttons and other interior buttons have paint peeling away, interior headliner has already been replaced (I guess the glue just gives out?). PS: 1980 VW rabbit = camshaft break at 200k fatal event for car. What are the odds that i am seeing a similar event with this car???
By neveragain1209
on 03/19/12 19:12 PM (PDT)

Yeah, we were told the radio peeling was "common". VW customer service pretty much stinks. Arrogant company, and I will never buy another. Not the company it was 30 years ago.

By takis56
on 10/23/12 11:55 AM (PDT)

2001 new Beetle TDI The interior was all together so cheap not even Japs and F150's could touch it. Everything sound and falling apart. 2006 DSG and 2007 manual both Rabbits. 2006 radio knobs are all white. On 2007 they changed them with aluminum. 2007 Very cheap interior. It looks good and good quality when it is new but not even 5 years later the headliner came off completely. The side rear panels come off also and the driver's panel is just start coming off. It reminds me those cheap american vehicles (20 years+ old though) that they look like chicken coops. That is why American VW's sell so cheap because are made so cheap

By zorica
on 10/11/12 10:13 AM (PDT)

LOL glad I'm not the only one. Sme thing, radio buttons peeling off, clock and speedometer at least 10 over, wheel baring broken, AC never worked from start and the list goes on, latest one is Fly wheel. VW does not want to own it. Sent a letter to the presedent , Mr. White and that got me nowhere. The sed thig is they told me that these things happen , big repairs one car get 4 yrs old or warrany expires. Seriously, I didn't think I spending $30 some thousands dollars for a vehicle to last me until 80000 km. what a fricking joke they are.

By neveragain1209
on 03/19/12 19:19 PM (PDT)

and my car was 6 years old with 36, 000 miles-window motors went, blowing black smoke, fuel pump went bad, door wouldn't open, replaced several light bulbs due to poor electrical system, tie rods shot, etc. Paid more for wheels that began peeling-wow! Seemed like a car with 200,000 miles on it.