2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Mostly a good car

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

TDI Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

Mostly a good car
By Steve on

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Overall it has been a good car. I have about 92000 miles on it now and needs some significant work. A wheel bearing is shot, the head gasket leaks, and a few other minor repairs needed. The real problem is that this engine seems to have a flaw as noted by many others. I began to get a VERY rough idle at about 50000 miles that was repaired under warranty for $5000. The problem is coming back now and can really only get a band-aid repair if I want to avoid paying $5000 on my own (which didn't really last anyway). Other than this, it has been a super reliable car and has had very few problems. It has been probably my favorite car I have ever owned but I am selling it now to avoid major repairs.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy, decent handling for its class, quite fun to drive, very spacious for a compact, very comfortable, great interior, very reliable and mostly good quality.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine flaw under a recall so these engines don't die after 170000 miles (just happened to a friend). I expect more from a "strong" diesel. Have more reasonably priced parts and shop rates.