Isn't necessarily aging gracefully....
By nrlucas on
2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I bought this car 1 1/2 years old in 2008 with 10,000 miles to replace my totaled 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. I was over the cost of Mercedes maintenance and the Benz-Chrysler era reliability issues, however almost 5 years later this car has proven equally reliable, and because I can't find a good VW mechanic I'm still stuck with dealer servicing. I have paid every penny for maintenance of what I paid for my Mercedes...only in a car that cost slightly less than half of what the E320 cost brand new. Its very comfortable, drives nice but there are too many odd failures that have happened to me over the years including having to replace the suspension and fuel pump at 55,000 miles
Favorite Features
Ride/comfort Compared to other cars in its class it has a very upscale interior. Good paint job (at least on mine) i have the ordinary rock chips and a couple of scratches but otherwise looks every bit as good as new. Feels solid even after 6-7 years and 80,000 miles on it.
Suggested Improvements
The soft touch rubber on the buttons rubs off. Some parts seem over engineered, while others under engineered. Have herd that the timing chains on some of the earlier 2.5 5CYL engines can fail without warning...hoping and praying it doesn't happen to me! Radio has had to be completely reprogrammed multiple times for unknown reasons. Multiple repairs that has started at 55,000 miles and continue coming.