2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 8

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love this car! Efficient, Fun,Versitile!
By NWS on 12/16/07 08:29 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I commute 180 miles, round trip, each day to work and with fuel cost skyrocketing my GMC Yukon was simply costing too much to run. Some of my friends who own VW diesels suggested I take a look at them. Test drive, purchase, happiness! The fuel cost savings pays the car payment and the insurance, very amazing. Have never gotten less than 39 mpg and on several trips have gotten 48 mpg, average is 43 mpg. Local driving and AC use seem to be the things that lower the mileage but only by 2 or 3 mpg. The crash safety ratings were also a major plus. No maintenance issues yet at 35,000 miles.

I'll never buy a gasoline engine again
By scoot on 12/07/07 18:07 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My TDi is driven 600 or so miles weekly, averages 42-46 mpg and has great get up and go. The blind spot needs getting used to (turn your head) and oil changes are not cheap. Driven in all weather, no complaints. I just don't understand why more people don't drive a diesel. Go with package 2, the DSG is outstanding, get used to the loud idle, after all it is still a diesel. 32,000 miles without any mechanical issues

TDI Heaven
By Jon Schade on 12/07/07 13:51 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This car has been an interstate killer! This car will cruise I-95 all day long at 90mph+ with no strain. 50mpg typical... the faster you go, to a point, the better the fuel economy. I replaced OEM air filter with K&N from day one... slight notice in power. Will buy 2008 Jetta with the new motor for more horse power and torque.

Constant Repairs In A Pretty Package
By tmalone on 11/16/07 10:38 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

For the cost of my 2006 TDI I could and should have bought a lightly used BMW, Acura or Lexus. The amount of time it's spent in the shop has more than eclipsed the gas mileage savings I'd intended by going diesel. Buyer beware: emissions warnings, glow plug issues, service and recalls await! Regular maintenance oil changes are astronomical $$ and good luck trying to perform any maintenance yourself. The 2006 TDI Jetta is a good-looking, well appointed and fun car to drive. Just make sure you live close to the dealership's service department. Sorry VW, I'll never buy another.

Great ride
By joe on 10/28/07 11:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car, fun to drive, great fuel economy.

The new EPA's MPG estimates are bizarre!
By Robby L on 10/11/07 06:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The old ones already underestimated diesels. I guess because they test new cars and diesels need a break in period of about 10k before they reach their prime. The EPA claims my 2006.5 Jetta TDi gets only 33 mpg but I have never gotten less than 38 mpg under ANY conditions. My normal mileage with AC on is 39-42 and with the AC off is 42- 46! This goes to show what you get with the cookie-cutter approach to research. As a result many people will pass by the TDi and get a gasser with worse mileage. Nice move EPA! I am very happy with my TDi in many respects.

Love that TDI
By AGB on 09/28/07 21:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A great car all around. Drives great and very reliable. Comfortable on the inside; I like to haul things and there is plenty of room for that with the seats knocked down. The sound system is great. I am happy with engine and fuel economy but I only wish they would improve the engine to perform like the European models - more power for the same fuel economy. I would recommend it to anyone.

VW - Wow!
By Daniel Shaffer on 09/13/07 05:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It is all there, but the fun, well it's actually a bit of fun, but not like my Miata. Wonderful sedan that can carry a foursome with clubs on a short trip. The ride, handling, fit and finish, everything is tight and first class. No problems and great mileage! Average about 40 mpg with mixed travel and about 50 mpg on a trip with cruise @ 80 mph. Had a SunBug back in the early 70s and this is not anything close. This is tight German craftsmanship at its best and a decent price point. We have two. I drive a manual and my wife drives an automatic. We will buy VW diesel again in about 15-20 years when these have 300K.

TDI performance and quality
By dongreen54 on 08/23/07 06:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Beautiful car, great mileage, gets 35 MPG if not hitting the turbo, plenty of power, good finish and fun to drive. Would recommend it to anyone.

TDI review
By weav on 06/20/07 15:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Only one defect that needed to be corrected. Electrical connection in sat. radio. Car is very enjoyable and comfortable even with 6'4" frame.