Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Spewing thick blast exhaust smoke
By PR

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Started before warranty but thought it was typical of diesels. Past warranty real problem of excessive smoke while accelerating and what felt like clutch slipping so that the car would almost not move, very dangerous when departing from stopped position & left turning. Nobody knows anything but it will be thousands to TRY & fix. Very disappointed.

My Jetta TDI experience
By Starsister

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned two VW beetle TDIs and my 2006 new Jetta has simply been the best car I've ever owned. And I've owned them all from BMWs, to Toyotas, you name it. The Jetta diesel has turned out to be wonderful. A mid- sized luxury car that doesn't look like a tunerville trolly (prius) and yet for me averages 43 mpg. Last fill up I got 49 mpg. Highly Recommend everyone get one of these . . comfort, reliability and excellent miles per gallon. Quiet and handles just like a gas car, no smells, no waiting for glow lights, VW's finest engineering. I still have 40% of my brakes left on original set at 106,000 miles and 4 years later.

Tiptronic auto transmission. Can shift into manual for hills, etc.

can't think of any

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED
By MAJPETE67

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I would have never thought of owning a diesel, so I am glad I got a VW. This car has carried me all over the US and I just passed my 114K mile. I have never had a problem with this car and the drive is great. Most people have no idea it's a diesel or that it is an '06. My mileage is greater than planned and I get from 42-48 MPG consistently. I use regular diesel and the new improved diesel works just as well.

My XM radio. Heated seats. Large trunk. Full size spare tire.

Option to have the horn not beep when I lock the car. Add another hanger in the trunk. Cheaper batteries for the key fob. It gets expensive with the amount I have had to change it out. Most VW folks keep the car a while, how about extending the warranty even further for us die-hard fans???

Awesome Car
By SGM

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned VW's over the years and this is by far my favorite. I liked it so much I bought an 09 w/auto 6sp. The 06 definitely likes a manual better to keep the power in the right band and it gets better mileage. The Trans works great and the clutch has held up well. Don't know about the 06 trans but the new 6sp auto rocks as well. As far as maintenance-just about every new car uses a belt not a chain-it's quieter. It is expensive to replace most belts on any car. That is not a fair complaint on THIS car more than any other. Handling is excellent. The suspension might be stiff for some but it handles as well as my BMW. If you can find a nice low mileage used 06 with manual trans BUY I

Mileage, Manual trans (a blast to run through the gears), handling (curves are a blast-I walk away from most cars), Power-no other car can get 40mpg at 80mph- I have to watch the speed all the time-100mph passes in rural Texas are common, The Gas tank- 600 mile tanks are common. I also love the int.

Not a lot. The 09 has more power but gas mileage suffers. I wish it had come with Bluetooth but that is fixable. Power right seat would have been nice.

Best Car we ever bought.
By Coveylane

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have had very little problems with this car. In most cases a car is only as good as its dealership. Anything we have had problems with were repaired under warranty. They switch our tires from Summer to Winter and store our tires at the dealership. We have had a cv joint replaced but this is due mainly to our poor roads in Nova Scotia. Paint peeling from front edge of rear drivers side door. Dealer paying to repair that. We get nothing but compliments on our flashy bright white Jetta TDI.

Gas Mileage Roomy Large Trunk After 3 yrs. on our roads and not a rattle. Great sounding radio and no vibrations in the speakers like my 2 year newer Tacoma has.

Can't think of anything