2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Best purchase we ever made
By TDotten on 12/02/08 11:27 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our Jetta TDI has been incredibly reliable. The 40 miles to the gallon is reason enough to buy one, I figure we have saved roughly $1,500-$2K in gas in the couple of years we have owned it. In addition to that, we haven't had a single problem with the car and have only had to replace two break pads at 50K miles! The manual transmission also makes it fun to drive, and the TDi has plenty of power. I strongly recommend this car.

2006 TDI JETTA
By Bill on 10/08/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Great car. One of the few cars to get better than EPA estimated mileage. Actually the EPA was way off and even further off with their new testing. EPA est was 36/42. We have averaged 41.1 mpg and it does not see the highway that often. We got over 49 mpg on one trip with 4 passengers and luggage! Has been extremely reliable.

Finest Diesel. Ever
By WKHRSE on 09/30/08 10:59 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My TDI is just unbelievable. I have maintained MPG of 38-40 city/41-46 hwy. I truly believe that it runs better in cooler weather. Had never owned a VW before and I was a little skeptical. Not anymore. I have had to answer many questions at the pump from curious onlookers. Smooth ride with great handling. Replaced tires at about 31K with a 4 set of Goodyear. My wife drives the Mercedes Bluetec Diesel and whenever I tell my kids that we are leaving to go somewhere I will say to go and get in the "best" car. The get immediately in the Jetta. Go VW.

2006 Jetta TDI -- Best car purchase ever
By Gary on 08/19/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

At the time of purchase in August 2006, ours was one of only 3 remaining Package One models in the area equipped with the 6-speed automatic. The EPA highway mileage rating is 42 mpg, but our best ever was over 48! Though the 1.9 L turbo diesel is rated at only 100 horsepower, it feels to have every bit as much "get up and go" as our 2003 Passat with all that inherent diesel torque. The transmission is flawless and with all of those gears, it knows precisely when and where it needs to shift. The car attracts a fair amount of attention in terms of it's refined German styling and it's a hoot to drive. The German designers tend to build in a firm ride - not soft or spongy. 40,000 mi. no problems.

Fun but not the best quality
By Superdad on 08/01/08 19:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fun to drive bought from my brother with 47k and now have 97k. To date I'm on my 2nd clutch and a new transmission. It died in the driveway once and If I had not bough an extended warranty at 49k -100k, I would be out $3k instead of $1800.00 for the extra insurance. I hope this car would go 250k like my toyota, nissan and honda. Not as tough as the Japanese stuff but more sporting.

Blown Away by MPG
By KT on 06/06/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Every time (like today) I read about the "highest MPG cars", I look for a diesel. Previous to this VW, I had a 1998 Lexus ES300, which I loved, totaled in an accident. This, purchased at boyfriend's urging, after his purchase of Beetle Diesel, has been a pleasant surprise. HUGE trunk, fabulous MPG (I was disappointed recently with 41 MPG, after using A/C all the time (live in Phx.). I drive the surface streets, not the highway, usually, and there's no bigger thrill than coming to work and seeing average MPG 56+, which happens all the time. This helps to offset 0-12 when you have to stop. Also had to sit in traffic on freeway recently for 2 hours and got lowered MPG, which was normal.

Best MPG ever
By Robert Clark on 05/22/08 07:24 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

First of all: it is a German car - precise, exact, and yes, well built. Then it comes the MPG. I am taking weekly pictures of the dashboard of 50-54 MPG. I also fill at the same pump, same results. Mine is a diesel, but it drives like a gas, and contrary to public perception, there is no smoke, no noise, and it has a lot of pickup. I will keep this car until the doors will fall off. The MPG pays off every day...

Mid-sized Luxury w/great economy
By Trisha on 05/21/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Can't say enough about my Jetta TDI, I've owned 2 diesel beetles, but the new Jetta (2006) is a real champion and I still get about the same mpg that I did with the beetle (45-50 mpg) Not to mention pure comfort especially on long hauls. Great car, solidly built and the auto tiptronic tranny gets better mpg than manual shift. Only downside: running the ac cuts fuel economy approx 6 mpg.

Ultimate
By Merc on 05/18/08 23:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The TDI is amazing, the mileage is awesome, and this little car is a torque monster for being a 1.9L. Aside from the window switch, radiator (As the stealer told me) and the radio buttons breaking, all under warranty. I would say this car is the way to go. I would highly recommend the VW TDI over ANY other vehicle. Just be sure to buy a warranty

2006 Model JETTA TDI
By Mechanobot on 05/18/08 06:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

It is probably the best car I ever owned. Comfort, reliability, and yes, MPG! I do take pictures from time to time to show people and even drive around some skeptical colleagues. I do get on a highway about 52-53 mpg ! yes, that is right, not a typo, and about 45- 47 in the city. It has pickup, torque, fast acceleration (you can drive in manual too) and is real good quality made.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.