2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love this car!
By Mark on 05/29/10 07:40 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The car has a great feel on the road. This is my first diesel and German car for that matter and I am sold! So many little features in the interior, I'm amazed at how much thought went into the little things. I still discover new features I never realized were there, years later. I've also never needed to use any fuel additives for the winter and I've never had an issue with Michigan's cold months. At 50,000 miles, all four sets of brake pads still have more than 50% pad left and the pad wear appears even across all 4 wheels. This is a great car, you will never regret the purchase.

Spewing thick blast exhaust smoke
By PR on 04/21/10 21:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Started before warranty but thought it was typical of diesels. Past warranty real problem of excessive smoke while accelerating and what felt like clutch slipping so that the car would almost not move, very dangerous when departing from stopped position & left turning. Nobody knows anything but it will be thousands to TRY & fix. Very disappointed.

My Jetta TDI experience
By Starsister on 04/19/10 08:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned two VW beetle TDIs and my 2006 new Jetta has simply been the best car I've ever owned. And I've owned them all from BMWs, to Toyotas, you name it. The Jetta diesel has turned out to be wonderful. A mid- sized luxury car that doesn't look like a tunerville trolly (prius) and yet for me averages 43 mpg. Last fill up I got 49 mpg. Highly Recommend everyone get one of these . . comfort, reliability and excellent miles per gallon. Quiet and handles just like a gas car, no smells, no waiting for glow lights, VW's finest engineering. I still have 40% of my brakes left on original set at 106,000 miles and 4 years later.

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED
By MAJPETE67 on 04/04/10 11:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I would have never thought of owning a diesel, so I am glad I got a VW. This car has carried me all over the US and I just passed my 114K mile. I have never had a problem with this car and the drive is great. Most people have no idea it's a diesel or that it is an '06. My mileage is greater than planned and I get from 42-48 MPG consistently. I use regular diesel and the new improved diesel works just as well.

Awesome Car
By SGM on 03/21/10 22:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned VW's over the years and this is by far my favorite. I liked it so much I bought an 09 w/auto 6sp. The 06 definitely likes a manual better to keep the power in the right band and it gets better mileage. The Trans works great and the clutch has held up well. Don't know about the 06 trans but the new 6sp auto rocks as well. As far as maintenance-just about every new car uses a belt not a chain-it's quieter. It is expensive to replace most belts on any car. That is not a fair complaint on THIS car more than any other. Handling is excellent. The suspension might be stiff for some but it handles as well as my BMW. If you can find a nice low mileage used 06 with manual trans BUY I

Best Car we ever bought.
By Coveylane on 02/24/10 18:27 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We have had very little problems with this car. In most cases a car is only as good as its dealership. Anything we have had problems with were repaired under warranty. They switch our tires from Summer to Winter and store our tires at the dealership. We have had a cv joint replaced but this is due mainly to our poor roads in Nova Scotia. Paint peeling from front edge of rear drivers side door. Dealer paying to repair that. We get nothing but compliments on our flashy bright white Jetta TDI.

Warranty
By Evelyn Vincent on 12/08/09 10:49 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Did not have trouble until now at 105000 km. I lost power. Still at the dealership and who knows what all is wrong. They are starting with one part at a time. Since when should a care only run well for 100000 km and then be off of warranty. Does not make any sense to me and I should have checked the warranty closer. Have been told warranty is warranty and you are over the km. Waiting for the final results.

Suprise it's a VW
By AuntieG on 10/27/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We started out to buy a Nissan Maxima but were looking for something with better mileage. This car has comfort, head room and with the turbo engine, it can scat. We had some problems in the beginning with one of the back doors not opening & the paint peeling off the bumpers but the dealer made good on it while it was still under warranty. We love our VW! The only problem we really have is with the defroster. It takes forever to defrost the windshield. Is anyone else having the same problem? After 3 years, we are definitely pleased, and would buy it all over again. I still have people stop and ask me what kind of car I have and they think it is brand new!

Bad Auto Transmission
By Wayne on 08/28/09 05:42 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Great Car on fuel mileage, however; about 1000 miles after warranty expired (60,000), transmission goes out. The dash rattles which gets annoying. The car handles good.

Great mileage and good car
By nimble1_42 on 05/26/09 14:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this vehicle to lower my fuel cost while driving for my job. I went to Atlanta to purchase because the local dealers wanted to sell above list. In 15 minutes on the Internet I had a better deal, so shop around. The car rides and drives very well. No problems to date. I really enjoy driving it and would highly recommend it to anyone. The only negatives are local dealers service and pricing. You will need to shop around for quality scheduled maintenance which is a big cost compared to other cars. That is my only negative. The car requires special oil and ATF fluid. All the changes have to be done at the dealer. Your local quick oil change will not touch it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.