2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Above Average
By gillam on 07/15/11 16:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car seems to have the same issues as other cars. I bought it new with a grand total of three miles on it. 60,000 miles later the airbag light is on and a coolant temperature sensor has failed. Don't know about the airbag light but the temperature sensor is about $20 from NAPA. The fuel economy is excellent, I average 47 mpg to and from work. I use the cruise control as much as possible and that seems to help. I am not a VW guy and to be honest the car is a little feminine for me but I'm long over it. It does use weird oil and oil filters but so far haven't had a problem at Jiffy Lubes across the country. I definatly recommend this car, I think its better then most others

Airbag and lighting
By drew86 on 07/14/11 20:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have to say that I overall that my jetta is a decent vehicle, but I have had some annoying issues with the electrical system. First off while it was still under warranty the airbag sensor came on. The dealer told me that a broken spring between the airbag and steering wheel was the issue was the reason that the airbag light came on. Well, a year later after the warranty had expired the airbag light came on again... a $500 fix... Now, prior to this headache, I did cause a minor rearend accident which caused the plastic grill inserts to come loose, but it was not serious enough to cause the airbag to deploy. Second, the headlights and tailights burnout randomly..

DONT BUY A VW!
By ihatevws on 06/24/11 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDi brand new. I am giving this review now that it has 130,000 miles on it. Here's the scoop. At 85K miles the dual mass fly wheel broke. Cost me $1500 to fix. At 90K miles the A/C compressor went out, cost me $750 to fix. At 110K miles the copressor has gone out again. Guess why? Cause the cooling fans under the hood went out! Guess what else? The relays are built into the fan so you have to buy the entire fan assembly. This car is nothing but junk. It's been a total nighmare and I hope VW goes out of business very soon! Next time I will buy something from Japan!

Jetta Review
By sskk on 04/27/11 06:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I read many of the reviews on here, and I thought that some were spot on , yet others were just people that were angry or biased, yet they did not seem to understand the car well. I am not saying that every problem experienced by others were completely false. This car does have some common issues, but all cars do. I figured that I would give my own thoughts in an objective manner. I bought a used neglected 2006 jetta 2.5, and the car turned out to be a great buy. The car had 68,000 thousands miles on it, and it had a few dents big and large scratches; so I was able to get it at a huge discount that was way below blue book value, because no one else wanted her. I found out the car was losing oil, and it had a nasty rear main seal leak. I honestly thought that all hope was last, because I was not going to spend thousands of dollars to get it fixed. As a last hope, I tried STP oil stop leak, and it actually worked. The car has 100,000 miles on it now, and it still runs great. I cannot believe how well this car runs after the abuse from previous owners. I recommend that you find a good mechanic that knows Volkswagens, and I would avoid the dealer at all costs. You just have to shop around. I also recommend to not skimp on scheduled maintenance. German cars break down too. I know a lot of people that will buy VW, because they think German cars are more reliable, then they neglect the car and have problems. Make sure that you understand this car, and the type of oil that it uses before you buy it. If you are the kind of person that plans on neglecting this car, then do not buy it. If you take care of this car, then it will take care of you by offering great fuel economy. It is not special and it still needs maintenance like all others cars. My other vehicle was a range rover, and I bought this car as my gas efficient beater. I was worried that the jetta would be too small on the inside, but it is quite roomy. The car drives very quite and smooth at high speeds. You can comfortably drive long distances in this car and not even feel uncomfortable. After all, it was built for the autobahn. The main advantage of this car, is that it balances performance with fuel quality. I am not saying that it is a sport sedan, but it is not dull and lifeless like the ford focus or some of the other competitors. The leather seats and the interior are also very nice for the price of the car. The car also handled well in the snow, and I am the kind of person that is afraid to drive in the winter without all wheel drive. The main negative with this car is the poor quality paint. The paint scratches very easily, and even when it is washed gently. I am honestly afraid to wash the car because of this issue. This complaint is seen in other reviews as well. Other euro cars that I owned did not scratch as easily. The secondary issue with this car is with the lights burning out earlier than expected. Sometimes, I think this is related to road conditions, but other times I think this has to do with the design of the bulb holder. It seems that it holds the one bulb in tight, but it allows the other one to jiggle a little bit. My tertiary compliant is with the looks of the car. I am not saying that it looks bad, it is just somewhat plain and boring. The jetta drives nice and has decent performance, so it should have some nice looks to boot. It seems that the competition is aware of this, yet VW seems completely aloof. Come on VW, make make the jetta look at little meaner and cooler. After all, sex sells right?

Great car, saved my life
By bludvigsen on 04/26/11 11:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car saved my life from being broadsided at 40 mph by a much heavier car, so the structural build quality and safety features (b-pillar, side curtain airbags, engine cut-off, etc.) are impressive. Great engine/drivetrain with enough torque to beat most cars off the line and pass on the highway while doing 80+ MPH without downshifting from 5th. That's with the 5-cyl motor and 5-spd manual Interior very well designed with high quality materials, switches, seats, etc. Very comfortable, firm seats felt great after 10 hour trips. Reliability was great for the 69K miles I owned it. No problems, only sched. maint. & oil changes.

Best Car I've Ever owned
By starsister on 02/21/11 07:12 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Am coming up on 5th year of ownership. Bought my TDI brand-new and have 128K miles and still cruising on the original brakes. This is a wonderful car. I keep it serviced every 5000 miles by the dealer. I continously maintain 40-45 mpg. When I think to "hyper-mile" I can get 50 mpg. I highly recommend this car to those who need good mileage. It is very comfortable for long distance driving also. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Very pleased customer!

total lemon
By paul206 on 01/31/11 16:40 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

$8,000. & counting. In the shop as we speak for same problem - replaced cam shaft & lifters twice. Started bellowing black soot & delayed throttle. Had a complete diagnostic before warrenrty expired - "not a problem" until warrenty expired then became downright VERY DANGEROUS. Then after problem was apparantly fixed - cam & lifters = $$$ thousands the turbo would shut off & again VERY DANGEROUS going up inclines on highways. VW (canada's) reply - "NO CAMPAIGN existing" which in VW land means go away - we dont care).

Worst Car we've ever had! Avoid it like the plague
By jettatdigreen on 01/29/11 12:52 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We were excited to get a TDI. Diesel engines are supposed to last a long time. We were told by the salesperson "this is a 400,000 mile engine." Maintenance is horrible and costs an arm and a leg. At five years and 83,000 miles the well known cam shaft and lifters failure occurred costing us $4000 to repair. Even though it's a well known problem VW of America said "there are no recalls on it and you're out of warranty." Less than 2000 miles after the they replaced half the engine it died again and they say "oh the turbo is dead" and it has nothing to do with the last repair - that will be $3000. Just to get it working enough to trade it in has cost us 2/3 of what the car is worth.

Still Enjoy BUT
By aemgli on 01/20/11 12:27 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is the nicest car I have owned. It is quick while getting good gas mileage. I said good not great 27city and 29hwy. That is about the best I have been able to get but for the power the engine has it is good. The DSG 6 speed trans is great . You can drive it in Normal , Sport , or Manual. Be warned to get that trans serviced is about $300 . The handling of the car is great. It will take turns and stops like you would not believe . I don't know how it all works but this car feels like it stops better then most small cars out there . This is were I am running into problems. I have been to the dealer about 10 times for problems in the 4 months that I have had the car for eng probs. 26000mi

Buyer Beware....
By ltrn on 12/22/10 06:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my 2006, 2.5 L automatic Jetta for about 3 years and I can't understand how it gets good reliability ratings. My car has 67,000 miles and has had a number of high-priced repairs. It seems like the check engine light in tthis car come on regularly. So far I had an emission problem, replaced a CV joint boot, and most notably replaced the large fan (the large fan repair was nearly $500). I'm going back to my Toyota dealership and if my gas pedal sticks, I will still have a more reliable car!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.