2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

VW means poor quality
By nomorvw

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning 4 Honda vehicles (civic and accord) i bought my son a new 2006 Jetta. I was impressed by the ride and the safety rating for the Jetta. however, now 5 years and 75K , i am stuck with a 1600.00 repair bill for a clutch repair. Apparently, the hydraulic cylinders for the clutch broke apart and soaked the clutch assembly. If the flywheel is damaged add another 600.00 to the repair cost. The care is barely paid for and the car is literally falling apart. I did call customer care at VW and received a nice apology. Dont buy a VW product!!

Preventative maintnance from dealership does NOT prevent big problems
By anatomix

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The 2006 Jetta is certainly fun and comfortable to drive, but is just a big plastic peice of junk. Let's first start with the plastic bottom plate (covering the entire undercarrige of the engine). The only function I can see for this part is to deter you from changing you own oil (containing about 16 star screws).. This car has had all oil changes and inspections by dealer ON TIME.. At 63,000 miles, check engine light came on and a visit to the dealership came back with a $2000+ engine coolant system repair. $1030 for the fans and an additional $1000 for all wires, connectors, and sensors, $340 for CV boot (reportedly cracked and leaking) on front axil.

Favorite Features

Now, how does a car with 63,000 miles (just past warrenty) have fouled wires and fans after being dealer maintained??? A trip to an independant imports mechanic - and a completely different estimate all together. NO evidence of any problem in the CV boot at all, wire harness working fine and still running one of the fans. To replace the fan assembly - $850...

camshaft needs replacing at only 200k!
By tdi06

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am not impressed with having my cam shaft replaced at only 200k. To top off the cost of repair vw is charging double for the major replacement parts over OEM. I purchased the shaft for 480 (vw was 985) and the follow (lifters) for 180 (vw was 464). Add the extra taxes I dont have to pay on money saved and I saved a 1000 dollars just by making a few calls on the parts. 16 hours labour at 115 per and they still HAVE to gouge me on the parts. Just doesnt seem fair after spending an additional 10k to purchase a diesel so i wouldnt have to worry about major expenses so soon. I must say in vw defence that after all these years they have kept the 'treat women like they dont have a clue' spirit!

Suggested Improvements

Individual arm rests in the front and the back. Tighter fitting doors to keep all the dirt out that accumulates when driving on the inside panels. Power seat on the passenger side as well. More ergonomic seats. my top clear coating began peeling after 60k even tho my car was parked in a garage when not in use. I was told no warranty.

Avaoid if possible
By ron_dg

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Pros: - superb fuel economy; beats by far any hybrid - pretty powerfull engine for a 1.9 liter - a lot of extras from dual power seats to leather - roomy inside despite apparences Cons: - feels like a cheap car after 1-2 years - plastiky... - tapistry falls apart in less than 1 year - twice ! - real bad mechanics ( 3 automatic transmissions changed in 4 years ) - at about 68 k miles, need to add oil even between oil changes. - engine start loosing power after 3 years; could not diagnostic the issue even after a computer upgrade; Bottom line, a fun car to drive while it works. When the mechanics and the technicians at the dealership knows you by name when you pull in, is bad...

Favorite Features

- AC dual climate control - leather seats - no longer available in the new versions - dual power seats - no longer available on the new models - great factory radio

Suggested Improvements

- Quality, quality, quality.... In a short while after you own this car it starts feel like a cheap, disposable car, despite a great diesel engine.

Dump this car after 100k
By astrivian

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI that had endless problems right off of the lot. A week after buying it, the car would choke and lose all power. I took it in, they said they fixed it, and it happened again, and around and around we went. Finally i told the dealer i wanted a new car for free and they could take the lemon. It took the BBB to finally get me a new car. It was great until we hit 130k on the odo. Once we crossed this mark we spent $1,200 fixing a hissing sound, $900 trying to fix some engine light problem (which didn't fix it, go figure). Two months later the turbo went out ($3000). Did not fix turbo, not worth it, dumped the car. Last one i will buy

Favorite Features

I was running close to 50 mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Make this car work better. Turbos and valves should not be breaking after five years.

Above Average
By gillam

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car seems to have the same issues as other cars. I bought it new with a grand total of three miles on it. 60,000 miles later the airbag light is on and a coolant temperature sensor has failed. Don't know about the airbag light but the temperature sensor is about $20 from NAPA. The fuel economy is excellent, I average 47 mpg to and from work. I use the cruise control as much as possible and that seems to help. I am not a VW guy and to be honest the car is a little feminine for me but I'm long over it. It does use weird oil and oil filters but so far haven't had a problem at Jiffy Lubes across the country. I definatly recommend this car, I think its better then most others

Favorite Features

Lots of little features, and above all else the amazing fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter clutch or lower 1st gear.

Airbag and lighting
By drew86

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have to say that I overall that my jetta is a decent vehicle, but I have had some annoying issues with the electrical system. First off while it was still under warranty the airbag sensor came on. The dealer told me that a broken spring between the airbag and steering wheel was the issue was the reason that the airbag light came on. Well, a year later after the warranty had expired the airbag light came on again... a $500 fix... Now, prior to this headache, I did cause a minor rearend accident which caused the plastic grill inserts to come loose, but it was not serious enough to cause the airbag to deploy. Second, the headlights and tailights burnout randomly..

Favorite Features

The car is very easy to drive and quite comfortable on the highway at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to recall the drivers steering wheel airbag system. I don't believe that someone should have to pay out of pocket for a serious safety issue like this, since this is a reacurring problem. Listen up VW!!

DONT BUY A VW!
By ihatevws

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2006 VW Jetta TDi brand new. I am giving this review now that it has 130,000 miles on it. Here's the scoop. At 85K miles the dual mass fly wheel broke. Cost me $1500 to fix. At 90K miles the A/C compressor went out, cost me $750 to fix. At 110K miles the copressor has gone out again. Guess why? Cause the cooling fans under the hood went out! Guess what else? The relays are built into the fan so you have to buy the entire fan assembly. This car is nothing but junk. It's been a total nighmare and I hope VW goes out of business very soon! Next time I will buy something from Japan!

Favorite Features

It's white.

Jetta Review
By sskk

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I read many of the reviews on here, and I thought that some were spot on , yet others were just people that were angry or biased, yet they did not seem to understand the car well. I am not saying that every problem experienced by others were completely false. This car does have some common issues, but all cars do. I figured that I would give my own thoughts in an objective manner. I bought a used neglected 2006 jetta 2.5, and the car turned out to be a great buy. The car had 68,000 thousands miles on it, and it had a few dents big and large scratches; so I was able to get it at a huge discount that was way below blue book value, because no one else wanted her. I found out the car was losing oil, and it had a nasty rear main seal leak. I honestly thought that all hope was last, because I was not going to spend thousands of dollars to get it fixed. As a last hope, I tried STP oil stop leak, and it actually worked. The car has 100,000 miles on it now, and it still runs great. I cannot believe how well this car runs after the abuse from previous owners. I recommend that you find a good mechanic that knows Volkswagens, and I would avoid the dealer at all costs. You just have to shop around. I also recommend to not skimp on scheduled maintenance. German cars break down too. I know a lot of people that will buy VW, because they think German cars are more reliable, then they neglect the car and have problems. Make sure that you understand this car, and the type of oil that it uses before you buy it. If you are the kind of person that plans on neglecting this car, then do not buy it. If you take care of this car, then it will take care of you by offering great fuel economy. It is not special and it still needs maintenance like all others cars. My other vehicle was a range rover, and I bought this car as my gas efficient beater. I was worried that the jetta would be too small on the inside, but it is quite roomy. The car drives very quite and smooth at high speeds. You can comfortably drive long distances in this car and not even feel uncomfortable. After all, it was built for the autobahn. The main advantage of this car, is that it balances performance with fuel quality. I am not saying that it is a sport sedan, but it is not dull and lifeless like the ford focus or some of the other competitors. The leather seats and the interior are also very nice for the price of the car. The car also handled well in the snow, and I am the kind of person that is afraid to drive in the winter without all wheel drive. The main negative with this car is the poor quality paint. The paint scratches very easily, and even when it is washed gently. I am honestly afraid to wash the car because of this issue. This complaint is seen in other reviews as well. Other euro cars that I owned did not scratch as easily. The secondary issue with this car is with the lights burning out earlier than expected. Sometimes, I think this is related to road conditions, but other times I think this has to do with the design of the bulb holder. It seems that it holds the one bulb in tight, but it allows the other one to jiggle a little bit. My tertiary compliant is with the looks of the car. I am not saying that it looks bad, it is just somewhat plain and boring. The jetta drives nice and has decent performance, so it should have some nice looks to boot. It seems that the competition is aware of this, yet VW seems completely aloof. Come on VW, make make the jetta look at little meaner and cooler. After all, sex sells right?

Great car, saved my life
By bludvigsen

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car saved my life from being broadsided at 40 mph by a much heavier car, so the structural build quality and safety features (b-pillar, side curtain airbags, engine cut-off, etc.) are impressive. Great engine/drivetrain with enough torque to beat most cars off the line and pass on the highway while doing 80+ MPH without downshifting from 5th. That's with the 5-cyl motor and 5-spd manual Interior very well designed with high quality materials, switches, seats, etc. Very comfortable, firm seats felt great after 10 hour trips. Reliability was great for the 69K miles I owned it. No problems, only sched. maint. & oil changes.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics, safety, European road manners, low maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

Only gripe was peeling black plastic on switches and headliner coming loose due to Southern heat/humidity - common in VW/Audi.