Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Lovin' the Base 2.5 model at 65k.
By love2drive5

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 3 yrs ago, with 30k miles, I got a great price on it ($12k). it has been great around the city, very responsive. the ASR works! my jetta is a 2.5, automatic and 17" wheels. the seats are not very comfortable for long drives (SF to los angeles). I do recommend to get the sun-roof and heated seats, I wish I did now. I test drove a 2011 jetta SE, it was beautiful, but it did not have the ASR, or the 17" wheels. it did not handle as well as mine. so I will not be trading it in. I have not had and expensive maintenance thank god. but the car does feel less "peppy" with the age. VW was never known for great high mileage cars, so I would recommend this jetta for city people.

Favorite Features

the trip-tronic automatic or manual shifting. and the ASR makes the car handle like it's all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

seats are not comfortable for more than 3 hours.

Audi for VW price
By epic_sandwich

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible. A true sleeper, the turbo motor responds well to simple mods (intake, downpipe, tune) but has plenty of power stock. The 6-spd is one of the best I've rowed thru. The interior just oozes luxury like a high-end Audi. The steering feel (and the wheel) is phenomenal. Brakes are great. The handling is the best- fling this family sedan into a corner and it will throw the apex into a headlock, it's incredible. Comes standard with all the luxury options but you can't option extra like phone Bluetooth, pwr seats, etc. Still an awesome deal and a true sleeper!

Favorite Features

The performance first, luxury a very close second. The comfort of this car is incredible. Virtually no road noise below 80mph. You can't hear the engine unless you want to (like in boost). The ergonomics are fantastic. HID headlights light up the city. I'm a solid VW fan after owning this car!

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling is rather subdued. The GTI-styled honeycomb grille is nice, but that's where the distinguishing features end between the hotrod GLI and the standard Jetta's, save for the 17" wheels and painted red brake calipers. Some lowering springs go a long way.

I love my Jetta!
By webwevr

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my Jetta going on 6 years now. Have just over 60k on it. Regular maintenance has always been done (i.e. oil changes, tire rotations). I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago. My gas mileage has always been great with age. Most fuel efficient automobile I've ever owned. I previously drove mostly Fords (Escape, Windstar, F250).

Favorite Features

Sleek look. A lot of my friends have told me how it resembles a BMW. The design (both exterior and interior) is just really sleek.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it would have had heated seats like most Beetles seem to as "base" features.

VW means poor quality
By nomorvw

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning 4 Honda vehicles (civic and accord) i bought my son a new 2006 Jetta. I was impressed by the ride and the safety rating for the Jetta. however, now 5 years and 75K , i am stuck with a 1600.00 repair bill for a clutch repair. Apparently, the hydraulic cylinders for the clutch broke apart and soaked the clutch assembly. If the flywheel is damaged add another 600.00 to the repair cost. The care is barely paid for and the car is literally falling apart. I did call customer care at VW and received a nice apology. Dont buy a VW product!!

Preventative maintnance from dealership does NOT prevent big problems
By anatomix

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The 2006 Jetta is certainly fun and comfortable to drive, but is just a big plastic peice of junk. Let's first start with the plastic bottom plate (covering the entire undercarrige of the engine). The only function I can see for this part is to deter you from changing you own oil (containing about 16 star screws).. This car has had all oil changes and inspections by dealer ON TIME.. At 63,000 miles, check engine light came on and a visit to the dealership came back with a $2000+ engine coolant system repair. $1030 for the fans and an additional $1000 for all wires, connectors, and sensors, $340 for CV boot (reportedly cracked and leaking) on front axil.

Favorite Features

Now, how does a car with 63,000 miles (just past warrenty) have fouled wires and fans after being dealer maintained??? A trip to an independant imports mechanic - and a completely different estimate all together. NO evidence of any problem in the CV boot at all, wire harness working fine and still running one of the fans. To replace the fan assembly - $850...