Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Horrible experience
By rachelnoli

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Jetta that ran like a dream, never had any problems even though it was 6 years old when I bought it. I bought my 2006 in 2009 with 28k on it. Right around 50k miles the check engine light started coming on and no amount of money would fix it. I took it to 3 different mechanics but as soon as I fixed one thing another problem would arise. Do your research before you buy a VW! If you find a good one, they are great cars. Otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

VW does not care
By kingfisher440

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

disintegrating dual mass flywheel: they wouldn't even buy me a gift certificate to McDonalds and now the dealer cannot guarantee to me that the replacement dual mass flywheel is any better than the one that just failed at 82,000 miles! So, do I have another $ 2100 repair in my future when this fly wheel fails also??? Nobody seems to know. If it weren't for the good fuel efficiency, I would not own this car!

Favorite Features

fuel efficiency

Suggested Improvements

1. car needs more insulation to lessen road noise.

Wonderful, wonderful car Best I've ever owned.
By nick_89

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am staggered by the negative reviews, because that in no way been my experience. With 90,000 miles and counting, I have only had to replace two light bulbs and a brake master cylinder that's everything since I bought the car in 2005.5. The highway MPGs are consistently above 35-36 without any effort. The car is incredibly comfortable and handles very well for a FWD car. I frequently take it up to the mountain for snow activities without traction tires or chains, and it takes is like a champ trucks look stunned when I pass them effortlessly. Incredibly safe, reliable, and cheap to own and run I'll certainly buy another one (I have my eye on a TDI SportWagen).

Favorite Features

Performance, MPGs, Handling, Comfort, Reliability, Running Costs

Suggested Improvements

The paint around some of the interior finishes (i.e. some pieces of the stereo and one of the window switch) is starting to flake off, but if that's the only downside to the car, and the positives are so grand, then I'm happy.

Very disappointed, last VW ever for this guy.
By norsechild76

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like the style and performance of this vehicle when it's running. However over the past 12 months I've had to pay over $5,400 in repairs/maint. just to keep it running. On top of what was done under warranty before, the following has had to be replaced: flywheel, both front axles, another front axle (second time), camshaft, horn spring ($600), the timing belt and water pump also needed done at 100k miles to the tune of $1200. 117k total miles on car...I'm selling it before something else fails and will never own another VW. These cars are fine under warranty...not worth paying off, may as well sell and buy another under warranty.

Favorite Features

Style and performance

Suggested Improvements

The mechanical failures and lack of response from VW of A are unacceptable for a car that costs this much.

just don't go to the "stealership"
By ghostwes

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've seen alot of reviews here knocking the mk5 jetta, this is the 4th VW I've had so far (I've had a 1987 jetta, a 1999.5 jetta, this vehicle, and I also have a 2008 GTI as well) I've never had major problems with any of these cars. compared to the mk2 and mk4 I've owned the mk5 is a deff step up from VW's previous powertrains and designs. when I do need service however, I know better than to go to the stealership when I have a phonebook with several german car speciality repair shops. Always go to them first. they can usually get any parts you need (besides keys, key fobs, and programming keys) and they can usually get parts that are better than stock.

Favorite Features

DSG, 2.0T, heated seats, not a fan of the wood grain on the int. but some people like it, it feels bigger than my mk4 but it's so much faster!, it looks better than the mk6 jetta they have now.

Suggested Improvements

this car is perfect the way it is. the mk6 just doesn't even look half as nice as the mk5.