2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Lovin' the Base 2.5 model at 65k.
By love2drive5 on 01/20/12 12:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 3 yrs ago, with 30k miles, I got a great price on it ($12k). it has been great around the city, very responsive. the ASR works! my jetta is a 2.5, automatic and 17" wheels. the seats are not very comfortable for long drives (SF to los angeles). I do recommend to get the sun-roof and heated seats, I wish I did now. I test drove a 2011 jetta SE, it was beautiful, but it did not have the ASR, or the 17" wheels. it did not handle as well as mine. so I will not be trading it in. I have not had and expensive maintenance thank god. but the car does feel less "peppy" with the age. VW was never known for great high mileage cars, so I would recommend this jetta for city people.

True cost of all that mileage
By dfurdock on 01/11/12 18:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2006 Jetta TDI package 2. 183,000 miles. Maintenance costs are high, approx $400 DSG trans fluid service every 40,000 miles. Timing belt every 80,000 miles approx. $1,100. Syn. oil changes about $80. My dual mass flywheel just failed over $1,500. Also turbo failing approx $2,000. I am repairing all of the above because the car gets more mpg than most hybrids. I just hope that the dreaded camshaft failure doesn't occur. I will drive this one for a bit longer, buy a new TDI and hope for better luck. In spite of all the above I still love to drive my TDI.

Audi for VW price
By epic_sandwich on 01/06/12 16:01 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible. A true sleeper, the turbo motor responds well to simple mods (intake, downpipe, tune) but has plenty of power stock. The 6-spd is one of the best I've rowed thru. The interior just oozes luxury like a high-end Audi. The steering feel (and the wheel) is phenomenal. Brakes are great. The handling is the best- fling this family sedan into a corner and it will throw the apex into a headlock, it's incredible. Comes standard with all the luxury options but you can't option extra like phone Bluetooth, pwr seats, etc. Still an awesome deal and a true sleeper!

I love my Jetta!
By webwevr on 12/29/11 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my Jetta going on 6 years now. Have just over 60k on it. Regular maintenance has always been done (i.e. oil changes, tire rotations). I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago. My gas mileage has always been great with age. Most fuel efficient automobile I've ever owned. I previously drove mostly Fords (Escape, Windstar, F250).

Do not buy 2005/6 TDI unless cam has been replaced
By vwexfan on 09/21/11 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I own two VW TDI Jetta's from new a 2006 and a 2010... Both have issues... I’m anal retentive on the maint and always go to dealer until warranty is over then I do it myself but always buy all my parts etc from the dealer... My 2006 has 168k km on it and the camshaft is pooched… VW Canada gave me a $400 credit towards a $4k+ repair bill… I just snickered and said can you spell the word Toyota… I love the car… like the dealership… I have owned 4 VW diesels each with over 400K on them with never an issue… I think you are seeing VW’s goal to be the #1 manufacture and lots of short cuts… After 20 plus years of good value I guess I need to find another path… DO not buy any 2005/6 TDI’s they all have this problem with the cam… it is a manufacturing issue… the hardness in the cam was never right on them… all of them will fail sub 200k… I personally know of 4 all between the 160-190k mark…

VW means poor quality
By nomorvw on 08/29/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning 4 Honda vehicles (civic and accord) i bought my son a new 2006 Jetta. I was impressed by the ride and the safety rating for the Jetta. however, now 5 years and 75K , i am stuck with a 1600.00 repair bill for a clutch repair. Apparently, the hydraulic cylinders for the clutch broke apart and soaked the clutch assembly. If the flywheel is damaged add another 600.00 to the repair cost. The care is barely paid for and the car is literally falling apart. I did call customer care at VW and received a nice apology. Dont buy a VW product!!

Preventative maintnance from dealership does NOT prevent big problems
By anatomix on 07/29/11 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The 2006 Jetta is certainly fun and comfortable to drive, but is just a big plastic peice of junk. Let's first start with the plastic bottom plate (covering the entire undercarrige of the engine). The only function I can see for this part is to deter you from changing you own oil (containing about 16 star screws).. This car has had all oil changes and inspections by dealer ON TIME.. At 63,000 miles, check engine light came on and a visit to the dealership came back with a $2000+ engine coolant system repair. $1030 for the fans and an additional $1000 for all wires, connectors, and sensors, $340 for CV boot (reportedly cracked and leaking) on front axil.

camshaft needs replacing at only 200k!
By tdi06 on 07/26/11 07:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I am not impressed with having my cam shaft replaced at only 200k. To top off the cost of repair vw is charging double for the major replacement parts over OEM. I purchased the shaft for 480 (vw was 985) and the follow (lifters) for 180 (vw was 464). Add the extra taxes I dont have to pay on money saved and I saved a 1000 dollars just by making a few calls on the parts. 16 hours labour at 115 per and they still HAVE to gouge me on the parts. Just doesnt seem fair after spending an additional 10k to purchase a diesel so i wouldnt have to worry about major expenses so soon. I must say in vw defence that after all these years they have kept the 'treat women like they dont have a clue' spirit!

Avaoid if possible
By ron_dg on 07/19/11 09:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Pros: - superb fuel economy; beats by far any hybrid - pretty powerfull engine for a 1.9 liter - a lot of extras from dual power seats to leather - roomy inside despite apparences Cons: - feels like a cheap car after 1-2 years - plastiky... - tapistry falls apart in less than 1 year - twice ! - real bad mechanics ( 3 automatic transmissions changed in 4 years ) - at about 68 k miles, need to add oil even between oil changes. - engine start loosing power after 3 years; could not diagnostic the issue even after a computer upgrade; Bottom line, a fun car to drive while it works. When the mechanics and the technicians at the dealership knows you by name when you pull in, is bad...

Dump this car after 100k
By astrivian on 07/18/11 22:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI that had endless problems right off of the lot. A week after buying it, the car would choke and lose all power. I took it in, they said they fixed it, and it happened again, and around and around we went. Finally i told the dealer i wanted a new car for free and they could take the lemon. It took the BBB to finally get me a new car. It was great until we hit 130k on the odo. Once we crossed this mark we spent $1,200 fixing a hissing sound, $900 trying to fix some engine light problem (which didn't fix it, go figure). Two months later the turbo went out ($3000). Did not fix turbo, not worth it, dumped the car. Last one i will buy

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.