2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
On the CR used car to avoid list - Great!
By ppetrie on 03/24/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car has so many engineering deficiencies, that result in so many expensive repairs just to keep it running, that CR in April 2011, put it on the used car to avoid list. The four areas with 3 to 5 times the incidence of repair for an average vehicle were: Cooling system - Engine cooling fan cassette & related wiring goes out at around 60K to 80K miles $800 to $1,200; A/C system, compressor seizes; Body Hardware failures - window regulators, door latches, trunk latches; and I think, major Fuel System issues. On my car, it wouldn't hold an on center track - can't be fixed, design flaw, making extended highway travel fatiguing; stalls without warning at idle - problem can't be identified.

NEVER again
By neveragain1209 on 03/19/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had nothing but trouble with this car. I actually feel badly for the person who bought it after I traded it in.We were a VW family but that has come to an end. 64000 miles in 6 years and the motor was blowing black smoke. Always changed the oil, replaced several major parts. VW didnt care at all-called them and no resolve. Do no buy this car! Junk-wagon. Back to being a Ford family.

OH BROTHER
By onlooker4u on 01/22/12 06:23 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought used with 50k miles on it. Owned VW before so the peeling paint off the radio buttons and the loose headliner was no big deal (similar to my 1980 rabbit). At 95k the clutch is going out and I am afraid of whats going to be lurking under the hood. Havent fixed it, spent all weekend reviewing websites (plenty of them). I am surprised that VW hasn't had a recall. Lesson: Dont buy the 2006 TDI, and to be honest, think seriously about other TDI. If VW does something mechanically wrong, they apparently don't do the right thing and have a recall. UGGGGGH.

Lovin' the Base 2.5 model at 65k.
By love2drive5 on 01/20/12 12:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 3 yrs ago, with 30k miles, I got a great price on it ($12k). it has been great around the city, very responsive. the ASR works! my jetta is a 2.5, automatic and 17" wheels. the seats are not very comfortable for long drives (SF to los angeles). I do recommend to get the sun-roof and heated seats, I wish I did now. I test drove a 2011 jetta SE, it was beautiful, but it did not have the ASR, or the 17" wheels. it did not handle as well as mine. so I will not be trading it in. I have not had and expensive maintenance thank god. but the car does feel less "peppy" with the age. VW was never known for great high mileage cars, so I would recommend this jetta for city people.

True cost of all that mileage
By dfurdock on 01/11/12 18:05 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

2006 Jetta TDI package 2. 183,000 miles. Maintenance costs are high, approx $400 DSG trans fluid service every 40,000 miles. Timing belt every 80,000 miles approx. $1,100. Syn. oil changes about $80. My dual mass flywheel just failed over $1,500. Also turbo failing approx $2,000. I am repairing all of the above because the car gets more mpg than most hybrids. I just hope that the dreaded camshaft failure doesn't occur. I will drive this one for a bit longer, buy a new TDI and hope for better luck. In spite of all the above I still love to drive my TDI.

Audi for VW price
By epic_sandwich on 01/06/12 16:01 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible. A true sleeper, the turbo motor responds well to simple mods (intake, downpipe, tune) but has plenty of power stock. The 6-spd is one of the best I've rowed thru. The interior just oozes luxury like a high-end Audi. The steering feel (and the wheel) is phenomenal. Brakes are great. The handling is the best- fling this family sedan into a corner and it will throw the apex into a headlock, it's incredible. Comes standard with all the luxury options but you can't option extra like phone Bluetooth, pwr seats, etc. Still an awesome deal and a true sleeper!

I love my Jetta!
By webwevr on 12/29/11 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my Jetta going on 6 years now. Have just over 60k on it. Regular maintenance has always been done (i.e. oil changes, tire rotations). I just replaced the battery a few weeks ago. My gas mileage has always been great with age. Most fuel efficient automobile I've ever owned. I previously drove mostly Fords (Escape, Windstar, F250).

Do not buy 2005/6 TDI unless cam has been replaced
By vwexfan on 09/21/11 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I own two VW TDI Jetta's from new a 2006 and a 2010... Both have issues... I’m anal retentive on the maint and always go to dealer until warranty is over then I do it myself but always buy all my parts etc from the dealer... My 2006 has 168k km on it and the camshaft is pooched… VW Canada gave me a $400 credit towards a $4k+ repair bill… I just snickered and said can you spell the word Toyota… I love the car… like the dealership… I have owned 4 VW diesels each with over 400K on them with never an issue… I think you are seeing VW’s goal to be the #1 manufacture and lots of short cuts… After 20 plus years of good value I guess I need to find another path… DO not buy any 2005/6 TDI’s they all have this problem with the cam… it is a manufacturing issue… the hardness in the cam was never right on them… all of them will fail sub 200k… I personally know of 4 all between the 160-190k mark…

VW means poor quality
By nomorvw on 08/29/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning 4 Honda vehicles (civic and accord) i bought my son a new 2006 Jetta. I was impressed by the ride and the safety rating for the Jetta. however, now 5 years and 75K , i am stuck with a 1600.00 repair bill for a clutch repair. Apparently, the hydraulic cylinders for the clutch broke apart and soaked the clutch assembly. If the flywheel is damaged add another 600.00 to the repair cost. The care is barely paid for and the car is literally falling apart. I did call customer care at VW and received a nice apology. Dont buy a VW product!!

Preventative maintnance from dealership does NOT prevent big problems
By anatomix on 07/29/11 15:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The 2006 Jetta is certainly fun and comfortable to drive, but is just a big plastic peice of junk. Let's first start with the plastic bottom plate (covering the entire undercarrige of the engine). The only function I can see for this part is to deter you from changing you own oil (containing about 16 star screws).. This car has had all oil changes and inspections by dealer ON TIME.. At 63,000 miles, check engine light came on and a visit to the dealership came back with a $2000+ engine coolant system repair. $1030 for the fans and an additional $1000 for all wires, connectors, and sensors, $340 for CV boot (reportedly cracked and leaking) on front axil.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.