Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A Great All-around Sports Sedan
By Jason

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Of all the cars I have ever owned, this is my favorite. I normally suffer from buyers regret - wondering whether I would have been happier with another car. I have never second guessed my decision to buy this car. The engine is fantastic - returning great gas mileage and managing to be responsive when given the gas. The handling is excellent. The interior is spacious, well thought-out and very upscale. The quality of the materials is top-notch. I have experienced no mechanical problems in seven months of ownership.

Driving this car is a lot of fun. The engine is responsive and the handling is crisp. The interior is also very upscale. I also appreciate the thoughtful touches VW has built in - HID headlights, the ability to roll the windows up/down from the outside lock, etc.

Lower the cost of routine maintenance. I can accept the cost for adding synthetic oil, but the other required inspections and replacements appear to be costly. I also would suggest adding an AUX input for the radio, but VW has already done so.

It's Still the Budget Bimmer
By VW'd@1stsight

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning five Nissan products I was determined to find a vehicle that would be entertaining to drive and make me feel special everytime I drove it. That vehicle is the Jetta. Coming from a Sentra this was a huge step up for me. I can honestly say that I didn't fully understand what most VW owners already know, there is just something about the driving experience in this car that I can't quite describe. I feel now that I am driving a road machine whereas before I was merely driving an appliance. I highly recommend the 5-speed transmission for anyone looking at the 2.5 model, you will definitely get more out of this engine.

The safety features, the interior, and the multiple settings for the moonroof. I like this car's details, like the VW logo in the headlights, leatherette that fools my friends / family (and me) into thinking its real. and lack of gaping seams in the fitments of doors to dash. It even has an iPod adapter and 17" Vision Wheels.

Perhaps give it a 6-speed manual transmission for the 2.5 model?

It's a Blast!
By BWO

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've had the vehicle for about two weeks and it's a blast. I've owned VW's before, including a Jetta, but the initial quality on this GLI is a major leap beyond the '95 Jetta that I owned. The gas mileage is great, I get ~27 in my suburb/urban commute. It has nice speed/acceleration, great handling, and road feel in spades. It feels magnetically bonded to the road - you become part of the car and the car becomes part of the road - again, it's a blast. The interior is nice. I went retro with Plaid Package 1. Mine is black with 17" wheels - the color/wheels configuration doesn't scream "I'm a sports/performance car." It "looks" like a classy / tasteful / modest sporty sedan, but it's definitely a performer.

The transmission is awesome, but overall it's the "feel" of being merged with the car/road that differentiates this vehicle. It is simply fun to drive, and economical as well. Did I mention that it's a blast?

Many people might expect power seats. I'm suprised they aren't standard, or at least in Package 1, but it doesn't bother me - I rarely adjust the seat. If can you keep it nimble and quick, give it all wheel drive - and in that case, maybe a little more power for the extra all wheel drive weight.

Jetta GLI, Performance Compromise
By Mike

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Jetta GLI is the most enjoyable car I've ever driven and on my last road trip I averaged 34 MPG too.

The super quick turbo engine.

I added the VW ground effects kit and 18" BBS CH wheels. In my opinion this is the way it should have looked from the factory.

Best Car Ever!
By Corona

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I'm 20, and I purchased this car as a present to myself before I go to college. I've had a 2000 Ford Focus, 2002 Ford Explorer, 2002 Pontiac Sunfire, and a 2002 Ford Escape. This has to be the BEST so far. I would recommend this car to ANYONE.

The satellite radio, cool knob to open the sunroof, and instrument color.