Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Long Road Trip
By Loyal A Miller

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In July we took a trip out to Ft. Collins, CO, then onto the Black Hills, SD, then on to The Devils Tower, over to Yellowstone, the grand Tetons, to Salt Lake City, down to the Grand Canyon and to El Paso, back to New Orleans, and then home to Daytona FL. What a car! We had always had a large car Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac . This little 100 horse power car never fails to impress. It had all the speed and comfort that you would need. In 21 days of driving we covered 7,100 miles and averaged over 38 miles to the gallon with speeds of over 90 miles per hour on the open highway. When I drive around 75 mph my mileage was over 40 mpg. I would recommend this car.

Favorite Features

The handling and the Sirus radio.The Leatherette interior is better than expected. Where ever we went people liked the style and loved the color.

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to get out of the seats.

High Mileage Vehicle
By Rick

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car because I was laid off from my job and knew that I would have to commute much further to my next one. I have averaged 44.6 MPG on almost every tank so far. It is also a very comfortable car to drive. It accelerates well and brakes quick. The steering is very manuverable. I also feel safer in it than in my SUV because of all the airbags.

Favorite Features

The diesel engine, the seats, and the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

It should have a longer warranty, a longer free Sirrus radio subscription, and bigger side mirrors.

Solid Automobile
By Mitch

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Owned a Saab 9-3 and test drove a Honda Accord. This car falls between the two. The Saab was more sporty, the Honda was more roomy and people oriented. The quality of materials is better than both. Its handling is very good and it is very fun to drive. The diesel engine pulls well, it is even a bit sporty once you are already going (ie. passing is a breeze). As refined as the engine is, there is still some noise and vibration that tends to bring out any possible piece of vibrating plastic in the cabin. This is a great car! It is a real pleasure to drive. I can't comment on the sound system, I tend to play kids CDs or listen to talk radio.

Favorite Features

The engine, beautiful interior, and handling.

VW Jetta TDI Auto
By deblynn49

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our vehicle has less than 5,000 miles on it and has gotten 43.8 mpg for which we are very pleased. We enjoy driving it, the turbo diesel engine has an excellent response time, it really moves! I highly recommend it for value, fuel economy and just for fun.

Favorite Features

The good gas mileage and styling.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control is difficult to find while driving. The seats are not thoe most comfortable.

New Jetta TDI
By Pat

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have less than 1,000 miles on my Jetta TDI so far. I got 35 mpg on my first tank of gas. Everything seems to work.

Favorite Features

I love the good gas mileage, handling, big trunk, decent back seat, and comfortable driver seat.

Suggested Improvements

Mold a cup holder into the rear door storage bins.