Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2006 Jetta TDI
By nancy l

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta TDI handles very well. I like the ease in steering and the cornering ability. The trunk capacity was a factor in my purchase decision. The quality of materials and construction is most impressive. Also, we are pleased with the safety features such as the airbags.

The stereo system is very nice and the seats are comfortable with lots of adjustment capability.

Absolutely Thrilled
By texas lady

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 25 years of driving Suburbans and Silverado 4WD diesel pickups, I was ready for a vehicle that gets better gas mileage. I was a bit apprehensive about a smaller car, and didn't have opportunity to test drive a Jetta prior to purchase, so that added to my anxiety. My fears were completely unfounded. I am thrilled with my new Jetta TDI! It handles incredibly well, is gorgeous, and has wonderful amenities. The diesel engine is very quiet. My long-legged family has plenty of space in front and back seats. It was a 350 mile drive home from the dealership, and the car averaged 50.2 mpg on the highway, far above the estimated mpg. So far I'm getting over 40 mpg in town. What a terrific car!

It's hard to choose just a few favorites. My top three are the incredible gas mileage, the spacious trunk and glove box, and the sleek body style. The leather seats are beautiful and I love all of the chrome accents. The nighttime dash lighting is really cool and the premium sound system is amazing.

I really miss having headlights that come on automatically at dusk. With all of the other wonderful features, it seems that this would be a given.

Long Road Trip
By Loyal A Miller

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In July we took a trip out to Ft. Collins, CO, then onto the Black Hills, SD, then on to The Devils Tower, over to Yellowstone, the grand Tetons, to Salt Lake City, down to the Grand Canyon and to El Paso, back to New Orleans, and then home to Daytona FL. What a car! We had always had a large car Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac . This little 100 horse power car never fails to impress. It had all the speed and comfort that you would need. In 21 days of driving we covered 7,100 miles and averaged over 38 miles to the gallon with speeds of over 90 miles per hour on the open highway. When I drive around 75 mph my mileage was over 40 mpg. I would recommend this car.

The handling and the Sirus radio.The Leatherette interior is better than expected. Where ever we went people liked the style and loved the color.

Make it easier to get out of the seats.

High Mileage Vehicle
By Rick

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car because I was laid off from my job and knew that I would have to commute much further to my next one. I have averaged 44.6 MPG on almost every tank so far. It is also a very comfortable car to drive. It accelerates well and brakes quick. The steering is very manuverable. I also feel safer in it than in my SUV because of all the airbags.

The diesel engine, the seats, and the sunroof.

It should have a longer warranty, a longer free Sirrus radio subscription, and bigger side mirrors.

Solid Automobile
By Mitch

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Owned a Saab 9-3 and test drove a Honda Accord. This car falls between the two. The Saab was more sporty, the Honda was more roomy and people oriented. The quality of materials is better than both. Its handling is very good and it is very fun to drive. The diesel engine pulls well, it is even a bit sporty once you are already going (ie. passing is a breeze). As refined as the engine is, there is still some noise and vibration that tends to bring out any possible piece of vibrating plastic in the cabin. This is a great car! It is a real pleasure to drive. I can't comment on the sound system, I tend to play kids CDs or listen to talk radio.

The engine, beautiful interior, and handling.