2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Fun Car
By Mike Tubesing on 12/27/05 15:56 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is a really a fun car to drive. It has excellent handling, and is a very good looking automobile. I may have a problem getting used to puting in only 12 gallons of fuel and going over 500 miles. Our firt tank yeilded 44 mpg. It's almost like having a hybrid. I love the large trunk and fold down back seats, although my wife won't let me haul 2x4's yet. (maybe someday). I also like the ride, our last car was a Caddy, and we are really impressed how comfortable the smaller car was. Also, the instruments are well thought out and beautiful at night. The light combination is very striking. I love the safety rating too, althought I havn't tested it. Hope I never have too. I love it.

2006 Jetta TDI (Forget Hybrid & Get TDI)
By Andy Haroon on 12/18/05 14:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought the 2005.5 Volkswagen Jetta TDI and a month later was so impressed that I sold my other car and got another 2006 TDI for my wife. This vehicle rocks. I try to find excuses to drive it. I personally like the 2005.5 just because VW threw in free options like the heated seats, automatic rain sensing wipers, dual climatic control, entry / exit illumination (VW calls it coming home feature), and the MFI system. On the 2006 model you have to get package two (almost $5,000 more to get options like these). So our 2006 is a plain Jane but the good thing is its my wife's car LOL.

Brings the fun back +45 MPG!
By Jackdog on 12/17/05 18:40 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI gets my highest rating. It is super fun to drive, comfortable, roomy, the sound system is great...all this plus it gets 45 MPG. Now how could you beat that? The six-speed auto transmission drives like a sports car instead of a sedan. All this in a $25,000 package. I have nothing but praise for my Jetta!

Best car to own
By ToddFoxx on 12/07/05 18:01 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is the best car to buy if you are considering the hybrids. The Jetta TDI gives the preformance you need for every day driving and fuel economy that doesn't kill the pocket. It is a great value that's fun to drive has all the luxury feel and quality of a BMW.

What an awesome car!
By Jim Nelson on 12/05/05 22:28 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I commute 72 miles to work each day. It's all highway and so far I have been averaging 42 miles per gallon. It's a little slow in stop and go traffic but if you get the turbo on-line it's fast. It will get you a ticket in short order on the highway if you don't pay attention.

Prius Owner
By Shatto on 11/28/05 23:34 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We've had a Prius for about 18 months, and needed a second car. I wanted a bit more inside the car - leather, etc. - but I'd become addicted to 50 mpg. I hadn't thought about diesel but after I drove the TDI and read about the mileage I was hooked. I easily get 55 mpg with freeway driving - I've gone through three tanks of gas so far and have gotten no worse than 46 mpg with combined driving. The car is much tighter and more solid feeling than anything I've driven before. It took a few days to find a comfortable driving position but with the electric seats and telescoping wheel I finally came up with a nice combination. My wife's Prius is a fine car, but I haven't driven it since I got my Jetta.

Good Build, Roomy, Top MPG vs Power
By F.G. on 11/25/05 12:13 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI has impressive build quality (paint, interior trim, parts, welds). It's sharp looking with plenty of interior / trunk space for family of four. I am getting ~41 MPG with combined city / highway driving. It has good power and is very smooth / quiet at 80+ mph. Package 2 is pricey, but nice w/cimatronic settings and heated leather seats. The first dealer that I sppoke with wanted MSRP and the second wanted $1,000 over MSRP -- do research, get them competing, and you should get it close to invoice. I am not sure why diesel fuel costs 10 cents more that gas -- it's easier to make! Also, only 1 in 4 stations have diesel, but I get many more miles per tank, so it's not a problem.

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 5-speed PK2
By MPGeez! on 11/24/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First, I'm disappointed VW removed most of the convenience features found on the 2005.5 Jettas. The car is reasonably fun to drive and handles better than my former car ('03 Maxima SE). It's not a speedster and performs about the same as my last Jetta ('85 GL gasser). Oddly enough from the inside it sounds a bit like my old '66 Bug. This is a decent mid-level commuter car with European demeanor. I'm getting 45 mpg with a 5-speed. It's a Volkswagen through and through. There's minimal clatter, smoke and diesel odor, but the car does require a bit more user maintenance and attention than a 4-cyl. gasser: special oil, diesel additives, driving habits, etc. It's really a mileage geek's car.

Curt's 2006 TDI / DSG
By CAATS_Man on 11/13/05 16:55 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This was my first VW purchase. I test drove new 2003, 2004 & 2005 Jettas but the interior was just too small for my requirements. Besides more room I also wanted the Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) to go with the PD Diesel engine. When the 2006 New Jetta became available in the spring I was prepared to order, almost. I found that the options I wanted - interior colour and rear seat airbags - weren't available until June but then I waited a bit longer due to "build quality" issues. I ordered in late August and took delivery on 28 October but I feel the wait was worth it.

Best Family Car on the Market
By Kevin O'Neill on 11/09/05 21:49 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The VW Jetta has it all when picking a family vehicle. From style to value, this car has it all. Looking for high mpg? The Jetta beats the Toyota Prius in real world conditions. Is a well tailored and executed interior high on your list? The Jetta has you covered with the expert's pick as the best interior in the business. The driving experience, especially with the Audi sourced DSG six speed automatic transmission, is terrific. The low end torque of the TDI driveline will make gas powered cars seem lackluster. Looking for build quality? The Jetta has it, from narrow body panel gaps to the best paint job on the market today. Give credit to VW's new state of the art production facility. Great job VW!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.