2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
'06 Jetti TDI Pkg.1
By Bernard on 01/21/06 18:10 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

So far so good with my 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. I had a few minor issues after 5,000 miles The vehicle was poorly aligned from factory and the speedometer reads 4.5 mph faster than my GPS. this car has nice linear power and a decent road feel, though it has slighty higher interior noise from road than I would have expected. I travel long distances, mostly on the highway at 80 mph and have been getting 40+ mpg. The interior fit and finish are superb. It has a very Teutonic in look and feel (have owned Audi, BMW, Porche). The body panel fit and finish is first class. I was surprised at how little the dealer was willing to negotiate. I only received a $200 discount (as a matter of principal)! Still, I had a very positive dealer experience.

This Car is the Best (50+ mpg)
By Thomas Horton on 01/21/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is so much fun to drive. It handles like a sports car. The power is great from 60-80 mph, there is no sound just pure power. I am averaging 49.9 miles per gallon combined city/highway with 7,500 miles so far!

A Great Choice for a Practical Person
By Marlboro on 01/19/06 17:07 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta is the only car in it's price range that had all the features that I was looking for. I need room for two adults and three small children. This car has uncompromised safety demonstrated by its great crash test results, side curtain airbags, VSA and ABS. It has a low cost to own and the ability to fit in our small garage. Its ride, handling, and luxury features are also important. So far the car is running great. It's fun to drive, zipping in and out of traffic and barely sips fuel. The car is very solid, the doors close with a nice thump and it rides firmly without body lean in the corners yet soaks up bumps. The 4 year warranty, low fuel cost, and historically high resale value should keep the total cost to own low.

My Sixth VW Diesel
By ensleyf on 01/17/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My early experience with VW diesels was that they were like driving a transfer truck as far as acceleration goes. The 2006 outperforms my 1998 TDI noticeably. In my first diesel VW, a 1977 Rabbit, I got 47 MPG on a trip when it was nearly new. It had no power options or air conditioning. It averaged about 40 MPG in combination driving. The 2006 does slightly better than that even when I drive 75 - 85 miles per hour on the interstate. The top speed of the 1977 Rabbit was 75 MPH but I have not reached top speed in the 2006 TDI although. I reached 90 MPH when I passed a car on the interstate recently. The only negative that I can bring up is that I sometimes brush my head on the doorway entering

Brochure Fraus on Package #2 !
By mislead and unhappy on 01/15/06 00:49 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a 2006 TDI Jetta package 2. Quoted in the 2006 brochure Under pkg#2 is listed "12 way power-adjustable front SEATS with 3-position memory." I did NOT get a power passenger seat. I have called VW of America to try to get some answers on why I don't have a powered passenger seat but have gotten nowhere. VW of America thinks I should have a "12 way power-adjustable driver's seat with 3-position memory". This isn't what the published brochure states. Also I don't have a self dimming day/night mirror either. I was told by VW customer care, this was part of package #1. According to the brochure, Package #1 includes package #2. I will never buy another VW!

Build It and they Will Buy!
By Paul in Arizona on 01/09/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is our first Volkswagen. The turbodiesel engine gets 47 mpg in combined city / highway driving. It has a very quiet ride, excellent handling, excellent stereo, excellent air conditioning, and is a blast to drive. The seats are a little hard though for long trips. It has a huge trunk, very quiet motor, minimal maintenance, and its service manual is available on CD-ROM. Why doesn't everyone drive one of these?

Sweet Ride
By sean9 on 01/07/06 13:04 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Volkswagen Jetta TDI is an all round fantastic car to drive. It delivers amazing preformance for a small 100 HP engine and you have loads of power at highway speeds! Plus the great added space in the back seats and truck make life that much easier compared to older year models of the Jetta.

New Owner - Retired Car Buff
By Frank Jay on 01/06/06 21:12 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I walked in to the dealership and asked for a Jetta TDI automatic with leather. One was found soon and we made a quick deal, but they held to the sticker. I don't like the $299 processing fee, but I paid it and drove home. I really like the TDI as I already have a 2005 CDI. Now all I want to drive is the TDI. It is getting about 12 mpg. more than the CDI. The Jetta's handling and ride are excellent. Its torque is not as great as the CDI, but good for 100 HP.

6 month / 18,000 mile Review
By K Milec on 12/30/05 10:59 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I drive in excess of 700 freeway miles a week and needed a commuter car to replace the SUV I was commuting in. I compared the Jetta to cars from the foreign and domestic brands and found them lacking on either finish, features, safety, fuel economy, or cost-of-ownership. The Jetta won me over on finish, features, safety, and fuel economy. While the cost-of-ownership is more than a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, I don't consider the features of those cars equal to the Jetta. So, what about the fuel economy? Wow! The fuel savings from the TDI engine are about half the monthly payment on the car. In all: This car really satisfies me.

Fun Car
By Mike Tubesing on 12/27/05 15:56 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is a really a fun car to drive. It has excellent handling, and is a very good looking automobile. I may have a problem getting used to puting in only 12 gallons of fuel and going over 500 miles. Our firt tank yeilded 44 mpg. It's almost like having a hybrid. I love the large trunk and fold down back seats, although my wife won't let me haul 2x4's yet. (maybe someday). I also like the ride, our last car was a Caddy, and we are really impressed how comfortable the smaller car was. Also, the instruments are well thought out and beautiful at night. The light combination is very striking. I love the safety rating too, althought I havn't tested it. Hope I never have too. I love it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.