2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
The Best
By James Wald on 02/01/06 12:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is a really fun car to drive. It gets great mileage and it doesn't look like the hideous Honda Insight or Toyota Prius. I can't describe how much I love my Jetta.

Absolute Blast
By Fr Stephen on 01/31/06 21:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my Jetta TDI fully loaded in every way, but with the standard manual transmission. I regularly get 37-38 MPG around town, and upwards of 53 MPG on trips. But this car is so much more than mileage records. It is quiet, smooth and comfortable. It regularly cruises in the 80-90 MPH range effortlessly, smoothly and quietly. My favourite trick is to sit the cruise on 80, and ask my passenger how he likes the diesel engine. I always get a whiplashed passenger; they simply can't believe it. From the 'bun warmers' to the satellite radio and absolutely comfortable seats, this car is a joy to drive. Some of my parishioners couldn't believe I would drive all the way from VA to NYC; no hardship!

The Closest Thing to a BMW that I'll Have...
By Reluctant VW Fan on 01/27/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI on a whim when I took my 2003 Passat in for regular maintenance. So far, I'm excited to be getting 45 mpg after 2,000 miles, and I get to support the local Midwestern economy by buying a biodiesel fuel blend. This car is "socially responsible." I love the handling; it's so sharp in the curves, but the ride is still very compliant over rough pavement. It turns on a dime. The interior is super comfortable and beautiful, but like others, I wish they would have kept the wood trim and other luxuries with Pkg. #2 (which mine has) from 2005. Its pickup is okay; I can still merge on the freeway just fine. Despite its flaws, I'm thrilled with my new Jetta!

MPG Better than EPA
By Diesel Freak on 01/23/06 15:41 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

If you haven't looked at purchasing a diesel because of loud engine noise, black smoke, lack of pick up, or the availability of diesel? THINK AGAIN! All of the above problems have been corrected in the new Jetta! After driving this car you'll understand why 80% of all cars are diesel in Germany! this car drives great at high speeds. When I first purchased my Jetta its gas mileage was 37 - 38 mpg. Since 10,000 miles, (currently 22,000mi) my mileage is consistantly 43.5 - 44 MPG! On a trip from San Antonio to Vegas with a full trunk and approximately 750 lbs. of passengers, running at 76 mph, (95% Cruise) she got a WOPPING 52.5 MPG round trip! Who needs a Hybid?

'06 Jetti TDI Pkg.1
By Bernard on 01/21/06 18:10 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

So far so good with my 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. I had a few minor issues after 5,000 miles The vehicle was poorly aligned from factory and the speedometer reads 4.5 mph faster than my GPS. this car has nice linear power and a decent road feel, though it has slighty higher interior noise from road than I would have expected. I travel long distances, mostly on the highway at 80 mph and have been getting 40+ mpg. The interior fit and finish are superb. It has a very Teutonic in look and feel (have owned Audi, BMW, Porche). The body panel fit and finish is first class. I was surprised at how little the dealer was willing to negotiate. I only received a $200 discount (as a matter of principal)! Still, I had a very positive dealer experience.

This Car is the Best (50+ mpg)
By Thomas Horton on 01/21/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is so much fun to drive. It handles like a sports car. The power is great from 60-80 mph, there is no sound just pure power. I am averaging 49.9 miles per gallon combined city/highway with 7,500 miles so far!

A Great Choice for a Practical Person
By Marlboro on 01/19/06 17:07 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta is the only car in it's price range that had all the features that I was looking for. I need room for two adults and three small children. This car has uncompromised safety demonstrated by its great crash test results, side curtain airbags, VSA and ABS. It has a low cost to own and the ability to fit in our small garage. Its ride, handling, and luxury features are also important. So far the car is running great. It's fun to drive, zipping in and out of traffic and barely sips fuel. The car is very solid, the doors close with a nice thump and it rides firmly without body lean in the corners yet soaks up bumps. The 4 year warranty, low fuel cost, and historically high resale value should keep the total cost to own low.

My Sixth VW Diesel
By ensleyf on 01/17/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

My early experience with VW diesels was that they were like driving a transfer truck as far as acceleration goes. The 2006 outperforms my 1998 TDI noticeably. In my first diesel VW, a 1977 Rabbit, I got 47 MPG on a trip when it was nearly new. It had no power options or air conditioning. It averaged about 40 MPG in combination driving. The 2006 does slightly better than that even when I drive 75 - 85 miles per hour on the interstate. The top speed of the 1977 Rabbit was 75 MPH but I have not reached top speed in the 2006 TDI although. I reached 90 MPH when I passed a car on the interstate recently. The only negative that I can bring up is that I sometimes brush my head on the doorway entering

Brochure Fraus on Package #2 !
By mislead and unhappy on 01/15/06 00:49 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a 2006 TDI Jetta package 2. Quoted in the 2006 brochure Under pkg#2 is listed "12 way power-adjustable front SEATS with 3-position memory." I did NOT get a power passenger seat. I have called VW of America to try to get some answers on why I don't have a powered passenger seat but have gotten nowhere. VW of America thinks I should have a "12 way power-adjustable driver's seat with 3-position memory". This isn't what the published brochure states. Also I don't have a self dimming day/night mirror either. I was told by VW customer care, this was part of package #1. According to the brochure, Package #1 includes package #2. I will never buy another VW!

Build It and they Will Buy!
By Paul in Arizona on 01/09/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI is our first Volkswagen. The turbodiesel engine gets 47 mpg in combined city / highway driving. It has a very quiet ride, excellent handling, excellent stereo, excellent air conditioning, and is a blast to drive. The seats are a little hard though for long trips. It has a huge trunk, very quiet motor, minimal maintenance, and its service manual is available on CD-ROM. Why doesn't everyone drive one of these?