Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

45 MPG at the speed of diesel
By Greg

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Jetta TDI is just a fantastic car. It's fun to drive, insanely reliable, easy to maintain, and well equipped. Since it's a TDI, the gas mileage is out of this world!

The diesel engine, the in dash 6 disc CD changer, and the German engineered feel on the road.

None

I Got a Lemon
By Tim Maynard

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car has had nothing but problems since day one. First the bolts holding the door panels on fell out of the passengerís rear door. Second, I have had a rough Idle that VW is unable to fix since about 5,000 miles. I turned in the BBB and they said it wasn't a serious enough problem even though is has been around for 20,000 miles, and five months. Next I opened my trunk one day and water came pouring out of my trunk lid, bad seal around rear light. Lastly and most dangerous, I rear-end another car and caused almost $8,000 in damage to the car and the air bags did not deploy. Luckily I was not hurt. The front impact sensor was destroyed, as well as many other parts. Don't buy this car!

Improve the assembly quality, service on vehicles, and redesign the impact senors to ensure proper airbag deployment.

Don't Buy the 2006 Jetta TDI
By Tim Maynard

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my Jetta and it has had a rough idle since about 4,000 miles. I have taken it to the dealer four times in over four months. They have not been able to repair it. The last time they said they were not able to repair it at this time. I filed a lemon law complaint with the BBB, and was denied due to the fact that it was not a serious enough problem. So now I am stuck with a lemon and I can't do anything with it. Talk about a waste of $22,000 dollars. Do yourself a favor, and stay away from the 2006 TDI's. Look at TDI club and search for 2006 rough idle and see all the other unhappy owners.

Fix rough idle problem with the 2006 TDI's and treat your customers better.

Great Commuter Vehicle
By Good agent

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Jetta TDI is a great car for driving long distances in. I drive 60 miles one-way to work and the fuel mileage is great. The car has about 40,000 miles on it now and I have had no problems. The maintenance is a little pricey, but everything else has been outstanding.

It has good power for a diesel. This is a good looking car.

Offer more options on parts availability and dealerships for maintenance.

Great Commuter Car
By Jonesy

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive about 100 miles a day going back and forth to work and the TDI really gets incredible mileage saving me hundreds of dollars each month compared to my full size truck. It has great low end power and just enough top end to pass on the freeway. Interior is comfortable for long trips and your butt gets sore from sitting way before you need to refuel.

I love the heated seats and mirrors, remote trunk unlock, traction control, outstanding mileage, great looks, good handling, and comfort. this car is an overall great buy.

This is a well rounded car with great features for a less expensive small car. Everything has room for improvement, but VW has got a winner here, and I don't think there is much to improve on.

• SUV