Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features - manual transmission, the trunk is big enough to carry 2 bodies around and the back seat is large enough for normal sized people. We also love the heated leather seats and the dual heater controls (I'm always warm, he's always cold). All in all, a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders and a larger glove box would be nice. I'm not really fond of the plastic grill with chrome on it, but every vehicle has that anymore. I also wish that the tires wouldn't pack snow up in the wheel wells - it's almost impossible to remove and turns into ice.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Favorite Features

I loved that they offered a manual transmission. I like to feel my cars. I loved the lighting on the speedometer, that they've since changed. This was the same as my 03 and my son's 04 wagon from Germany. Great stereo. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Suggested Improvements

Take care of your clients. Why would i by a fourth after my experience with number 3's lack of client care. VW was well aware of the issues. I am going back to BMW & MBZ. I drove MBZ diesels for 15 years prior to these. I still own an F250 Power Stroke diesel and am probably going to go with the BMW 328D wagon. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Dangerous car to drive or ride in
By dennisinwv

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2006 Jetta TDI in July, 2006. Timing belt broke at 42,000 miles. Camshaft had to be replaced under warranty. Camshaft failed again at 150,000 miles (timing belt was fine). Camshaft failed again at 270,000 miles. Without warning car was lost power while in cruise - almost run over by tractor-trailers more than once. Research reveals an enormous camshaft problems for TDI owners. VW put a bandaid on the original camshaft failure and allowed my family to drive and ride in an unsafe vehicle. VW mgt knew they had a problem and discontinued the 1.9 TDI engine. VW should have informed 2006 TDI owners that their car could lose power without warning.

Favorite Features

Warning: Do not purchase a 2006 Jetta TDI unless you tear down the engine and inspect the engine. Don't put your family in jeopardy.

Suggested Improvements

VW should immediately replace every 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI engine or buy the vehicle back from the owner. This vehicle is the 21st century Corvair.

German Engineering--seriously?
By steveocda

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2006 TDI. I have replaced the dual mass flywheel because the original failed. That is a very expensive repair and negates a whole lot of good gas mileage savings. I also had to replace the cracked plastic valve cover. The rubber coating on the radio and radio buttons has peeled off and looks horrible. The mechanism on most of the air vents have broken off so they don't move easily. The fuel door lock sticks so the fuel door doesn't close easily. These kinds of problems simply shouldn't exist on a car at this price point. I haven't seen that kind of poor quality in any other late model I have driven.

Favorite Features

It is a stylish and attractive, fun car to drive.

Great Car
By pglauninger

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

Favorite Features

TDI... says it all on its own, plenty of torque & power, ive driven just about every car on the market and nothing in this range compares. premium soft touch surfaces premium seats plenty of hidden storage nice attention to detail great on diesel!

Suggested Improvements

fix the cam and DMF so that others stop whining like little babies about it