Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition
By ???

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We haven't even had our Jetta for one month, but we just LOVE it! It is fun, roomy, and very pretty! =) It costs us $32 to fill up with gas, and we drove almost 500 highway miles before having to fill up. So far this tank, I have drove 350 city miles and still have between a 1/4 and a 1/2 tank left. Pretty good, huh? With VW's resale values, and how extremely pleased we are with our Jetta, we're just crazy for not purchasing one sooner!

Favorite Features

The windows can roll up/down from the outside by putting the key in the door lock without the car having to be on. The trunk is HUGE! Also, there is a hook that pulls down from within the trunk that you can hang a grocery bag of eggs/bread, something you didn't want to get smashed...How clever!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing at all...we love it just the way it is!

Typical German Engineering- Good and Bad
By cmrva

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my daughter's car, and to be clear, we bought it used in 2012 (70k miles) for $6k, so I didn't and don't expect miracles. Drove great, like most good German vehicles, but in my opinion, just like my wife's Mercedes, there always seems to be funny noises in the engine randomly that turn out to be pricey repairs. By 90k miles: Replaced transmission ($3K) Water pump and tension pulleys $1500 CV boots/ joint- $1k heat blanket (Inside engine on the hood) $300 Brakes 2X $800 each time.

Favorite Features

Cute styling for a teenaged girl; sporty, great pickup from a dead stop. Handles well, even as an older used car. Trunk is enormous. Good for sports minded (Skis, golf clubs, equestrian equipment

Suggested Improvements

VW- If you make a $30+K car, make it feel like one inside. All the rubber inside wears out! You can't see what the button function is on any radio button. Also the console mylar/plastic wrap is all bubbled from hot summers.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Favorite Features

I loved that they offered a manual transmission. I like to feel my cars. I loved the lighting on the speedometer, that they've since changed. This was the same as my 03 and my son's 04 wagon from Germany. Great stereo. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Suggested Improvements

Take care of your clients. Why would i by a fourth after my experience with number 3's lack of client care. VW was well aware of the issues. I am going back to BMW & MBZ. I drove MBZ diesels for 15 years prior to these. I still own an F250 Power Stroke diesel and am probably going to go with the BMW 328D wagon. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Very disappointed, last VW ever for this guy.
By norsechild76

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like the style and performance of this vehicle when it's running. However over the past 12 months I've had to pay over $5,400 in repairs/maint. just to keep it running. On top of what was done under warranty before, the following has had to be replaced: flywheel, both front axles, another front axle (second time), camshaft, horn spring ($600), the timing belt and water pump also needed done at 100k miles to the tune of $1200. 117k total miles on car...I'm selling it before something else fails and will never own another VW. These cars are fine under warranty...not worth paying off, may as well sell and buy another under warranty.

Favorite Features

Style and performance

Suggested Improvements

The mechanical failures and lack of response from VW of A are unacceptable for a car that costs this much.

VW does not care
By kingfisher440

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

disintegrating dual mass flywheel: they wouldn't even buy me a gift certificate to McDonalds and now the dealer cannot guarantee to me that the replacement dual mass flywheel is any better than the one that just failed at 82,000 miles! So, do I have another $ 2100 repair in my future when this fly wheel fails also??? Nobody seems to know. If it weren't for the good fuel efficiency, I would not own this car!

Favorite Features

fuel efficiency

Suggested Improvements

1. car needs more insulation to lessen road noise.