2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Wonderful, wonderful car – Best I've ever owned.
By nick_89 on 01/17/13 22:41 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am staggered by the negative reviews, because that in no way been my experience. With 90,000 miles and counting, I have only had to replace two light bulbs and a brake master cylinder – that's everything since I bought the car in 2005.5. The highway MPGs are consistently above 35-36 without any effort. The car is incredibly comfortable and handles very well for a FWD car. I frequently take it up to the mountain for snow activities without traction tires or chains, and it takes is like a champ – trucks look stunned when I pass them effortlessly. Incredibly safe, reliable, and cheap to own and run – I'll certainly buy another one (I have my eye on a TDI SportWagen).

Very disappointed, last VW ever for this guy.
By norsechild76 on 12/21/12 01:42 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like the style and performance of this vehicle when it's running. However over the past 12 months I've had to pay over $5,400 in repairs/maint. just to keep it running. On top of what was done under warranty before, the following has had to be replaced: flywheel, both front axles, another front axle (second time), camshaft, horn spring ($600), the timing belt and water pump also needed done at 100k miles to the tune of $1200. 117k total miles on car...I'm selling it before something else fails and will never own another VW. These cars are fine under warranty...not worth paying off, may as well sell and buy another under warranty.

just don't go to the "stealership"
By ghostwes on 11/08/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've seen alot of reviews here knocking the mk5 jetta, this is the 4th VW I've had so far (I've had a 1987 jetta, a 1999.5 jetta, this vehicle, and I also have a 2008 GTI as well) I've never had major problems with any of these cars. compared to the mk2 and mk4 I've owned the mk5 is a deff step up from VW's previous powertrains and designs. when I do need service however, I know better than to go to the stealership when I have a phonebook with several german car speciality repair shops. Always go to them first. they can usually get any parts you need (besides keys, key fobs, and programming keys) and they can usually get parts that are better than stock.

DISAPOINTED 100%
By zorica on 10/11/12 17:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Will never buy another VW vehicle. Custome service care is below zero, service dep is garbage. Have so many problems from start on my 2006 TDI Jetta, paint peeling off radio buttons, speedometer and clock always 10 km/min over. Problems with AC from start, wheelbearing, lights, dual mass flywheel etc. Noone cares, no one (VW) wants totake responisibility for defective part - flywheel, and on one admited that AC and wheelbearing were defective until I run out of the warrany. [non-permissible content removed] I am discusted in VW all together.

Not so bad - I don't get the other reviews
By backhoebob1 on 09/29/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

131K miles. The car had a couple of problems, but I don't understand the reviews. Yes, you have to change the timing belt every 80k or 95K miles. Same for my Camry. The difference is I've spent $5500 less in gas to cover the same miles! (43 vs 28 mpg, $3.8 vs $4.1/g). I've put a wheel bearing on it ($300, my bust for using a dealer) and four glow plugs ($440). I'll have to cam it in 50K miles or so. SO WHAT! I'll have saved $8500 at that point. Three sets of shocks, plugs and O2 sensors on the Camry - $800. No squeaks, firm, smooth, tons of leg room (6'8"). I can't believe people complain about $3K in maint for 200K miles with $5000 in their pocket.

Isn't necessarily aging gracefully....
By nrlucas on 07/19/12 18:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 1 1/2 years old in 2008 with 10,000 miles to replace my totaled 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. I was over the cost of Mercedes maintenance and the Benz-Chrysler era reliability issues, however almost 5 years later this car has proven equally reliable, and because I can't find a good VW mechanic I'm still stuck with dealer servicing. I have paid every penny for maintenance of what I paid for my Mercedes...only in a car that cost slightly less than half of what the E320 cost brand new. Its very comfortable, drives nice but there are too many odd failures that have happened to me over the years including having to replace the suspension and fuel pump at 55,000 miles

it all depends on the owner
By treezy91 on 07/08/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had my 06 vw jetta for almost two years now and I can say that i am really satisfied with this german machine. I watched many many reviews on it and I know everything from grille to trunk about the car. I've read reviews from consumers on here saying that its a money pit but it all depends on the owner of the vehicle. I haven't had to many problems with car and I can honestly say it was well worth the price. I would recommand knowing a good vw mechanic rather than going to a vw dealer service for price reasons.

Need deep pockets for repair/maintenance.
By norsechild76 on 06/08/12 21:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

110K miles on 2006 Jetta TDI, original owner. Had to have both front axles replaced under warranty in 2008. Just had to have the dual mass flywheel replaced and another axle...$2,400.00 out the door. 100k mile maintenance, another $1,200.00. Headliner is falling down around our ears and has been for several years. Dealer experience is great as long as you are willing to right big checks and not question anything. Very disappointed overall with the value of this vehicle...will NOT buy another. Next car will be a Subaru or Honda.

"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer on 04/14/12 04:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk. Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle. It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it." Hence the title. Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

before you buy
By thatguy33 on 04/10/12 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my '06 in the summer of '07 with 200 miles on it. I just rolled over 142,000 but it has been at a hefty price. If you plan to buy a VW, be prepared to go to the dealer for everything, because everything is specialized and expensive. (my uncle is a mechanic and he wouldn't even change the brakes for me). Only reason I still have this car is because I'm so upside down in it...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.