Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 521 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it.

For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart.

It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours.

The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

Gas mileage, Design, (exterior and in) comfortable

Typical German Engineering- Good and Bad
By cmrva

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my daughter's car, and to be clear, we bought it used in 2012 (70k miles) for $6k, so I didn't and don't expect miracles.
Drove great, like most good German vehicles, but in my opinion, just like my wife's Mercedes, there always seems to be funny noises in the engine randomly that turn out to be pricey repairs.
By 90k miles:
Replaced transmission ($3K)
Water pump and tension pulleys $1500
Fuel pump
Headliner came unglued, droops down in back seat
Typical hazy headlights, we live in the country and the night time lighting is poor on this car. Spent $200 to get headlights re-glazed, that worked for almost a year, switched to high performance halogens, still poor visibility at night

CV boots/ joint- $1k
heat blanket (Inside engine on the hood) $300
Brakes 2X $800 each time.

disappointed
By posvw

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In June, 2014 I took my 2006 VW TDI with 112K mi to the dealer for a timing belt change. I also needed a fuel filter change. Did I ever get a shock - not just sticker shock! When the service guy first called me it was to tell me my fuel filter was BLACK and that meant my injectors were shot. He also said that with this model, this year car, that there was a 50/50 chance that the cam shaft and lifting arms would need to be replaced. He explained that VW had designed these poorly with dissimilar metals and that they fail. Sure enough - a bill to the tune of $4k. So I sent 2 letters to the VW Customer Care center - I've never heard 'I apologize so many times in my life! Run far and fast

I have nothing good to say.

VW needs to take some ownership in the repairs I experienced. I got no satisfaction from the customer care center. None! Even with 2 letter and 2 phone conversations, neither time was I asked if my car was okay now, if I was happy with the dealer service dept, who I dealt with there, and any indication that there would be an investigation or my concerns taken seriously. I want reimbursed for my repairs and to even possibly remotely think about purchasing another VW, it would have to be at cost. I'm just happy to have a forum to vent my frustration, disappointment, and be able to warn others that this is not a car for you if you don't like service depts and big repair bills.

Amazingly perfect!!!!
By skateandcreate

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love this car. The torque is phenominal. It's speed is unmatched by many cars in its class. MPG is ridiculous. I average 57.7 mpg on the highway and 38 in the city. It's governed at 114 mph, and although that is a bit disappointing considering the engine; it is plenty really. The suspension is very smooth, and road noise is considerably limited.

It has all the features of its luxurious cousin the Audi A4 to include telescoping steering wheel, fully electric driver-seat positioning, 5-setting heated seats, multi-functin display that shows mpg and etc., sport mode, leather seats, dual climate control for pasenger and driver, 9v outlet on adjustable arm rest, cruise control, speed adjusted volume control that gets louder when traveling over 60mph, and AUX connection, satlleite radio capability, 5 CD disk changer, manual-automatic transmission, heated mirrors, adjustable interior-light intensity, 10-speaker sound system, and volume and station control on steering wheel.

MORE POWER!!!! Although it does very fine stock.

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic. Here's an update - I totaled the car in February 2015 with 233,000 miles on it. We bought a 2015 Jetta TDI and got caught in the VW scandal. The car is ok, but I would love to have the old car back.