Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 521 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

200,000 with my '06 Jetta 2.5 manual!
By Dave

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta new when I was 24 with the intent to keep it a minimum of 10 years/200,000 miles. I almost bought a manual loaded Mazda 3, boy I am glad I didn't do that. It now has almost 201,000 miles on it and I have mixed feelings.

The headlights burn out far too often, the rear brakes get locked up after getting new pads/rotors EVERY time because dealers and non dealer shops have no idea how the Germans designed the brake system in the 06-11 Jetta lol! New brake lines every time will solve the issue usually.

Squeaks and rattles come and go randomly, the AM radio gets terrible reception (in Vegas anyway) and there is some road noise and engine noise, both of which I like actually. The inline 5 cylinder engine sounds great to me especially around 4-5,000rpm which I visit quite often.

Gas mileage is a decent 24-26/mpg combined. I usually see about 30.5 on the freeway and right at 22-23 in city. The manual transmission allows this. Speaking of my manual, I've only replaced the clutch one time at a dealer(never again as it cost way too much!).

Normal fixes during my car's life include the water pump replaced once, fuel pump once, cooling fans once, radio system once due to wear on the dials, and a few other small things. If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a good VW non-dealer mechanic you'll save lots of $$ as the dealer prices for ALL work is just ABSURD!!!!

Overall I have loved my vehicle. It's not perfect but I plan to keep it at least 5 more years unless repairs cost me more than 1,500-2,000 a year as a new car payment would then become logical. My headliner is still attached, my car still tracks straight, it's not a Mazda 3, and it still starts the first time every time. This is due to absolutely 100% strict maintenance being done, all oil changes, filter changes, lubes and tunes done at manufacturer recommended intervals. It's been a little pricey but well worth it.

My interior is in like new condition except for some tears in the pleather seat that I got while moving (a pic frame stabbed my seat 😕) and my stearing wheel is super corroded for some reason. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my Jetta!

Seasoned Fahrvergnügen
By Ashley Riley

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 - Specifications
4-Door Automatic PZEV 2.5L FI
Very Good Condition
4 D Sedan
88973
5-speed automatic transmission w/Tiptronic/sport mode/ overdrive
5 2.5L-FI
PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle - A partial zero emissions vehicle is a classification in the United States for a vehicle that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system, has a 15-year (or at least 150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, and meets SULEV tailpipe-emission standards.)
Value Edition
Silver EXT/Grey Leather INT
EPA Class Compact (5 person seating capacity with huge trunk)
MPG City 22 / Hwy 30
Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Gel Cell Battery
AM/FM/Stereo/CD Changer-Stacker
Cell Phone Pairing/”hands free” capability/Satellite ready
Spacious glove compartment and console area
POWER:
Steering
Brakes (Anti lock x4/Wheel Disk x4/Brake life 90% remaining)
Windows
Locks
Mirrors (heated, with signal integrated lights)
Seats
Driver Front/Side
Passenger Front/Side
Front Impact
Head Curtain Impact
Tire Tread life (40% remaining)
Spare tire

Very sensitive instrumental panel, you will know if there is a problem, but, at times, a lit icon will appear when there is no problem.

Acceleration is so smooth and swift; on Hwy, I need to set "speed warning" for speed increase is subtle, and at times ticket worthy! Very clean. Purchased for elderly widowed parent who can no longer drive; 86,800 mileage at purchase.

[contact information removed]

Dissapointed #1
By Ed

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

If it has not happen by now the headliner will come off the cd will stop working properly and you will hear a fan noise when the car is started. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder and this never happen. I wonder what is coming next and I don't what to keep this car any longer. That is my
last VW that I would own.

DIESEL
By Big Vee

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Well um reading alot of negative things on here about the 06 jetta tdi I purchased mines with 170,000 um the 2nd owner it now has 263,0000 it's just getting the camshaft Replacement billet cam along with timing belt kit only thing I've done was replace timing belt at 200k and axles thats it if people do the regular maintenance the car will last change ur oil 10k and ur air & fuel filters every 15k ur trans 50k ur good but people are triflin an get on here complaining another thing it's a German car which means it's highway built not for stop and go city driving that what Japanese cars are for

A Coffin on Wheels
By dennisinwv

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

When my 2006 Jetta TDI had 42,000 miles a timing belt clip broke at 45 mph, and after a loud "clang" the engine locked up.

I requested a new engine, but VW refused and instead repaired the existing engine with a new camshaft for cylinder #1.

Since then two more camshafts have failed for cylinder #1.

The vehicle suddenly lost power in front of a semi tractor trailer at 65 mph and my family was almost killed.

Absolute lemon. VW Customer Care Center doesn't care. Period.

I have driven millions of miles in my lifetime. Regularly gotten 200,000 to 300,000 out of my vehicles with never a camshaft problem. This 2006 Jetta TDI needs its 4th camshaft.

The best suggested improvement would be not to purchase a vehicle that can suffer sudden loss of power in high speed traffic.