2006 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A Coffin on Wheels
By dennisinwv on 02/08/15 16:30 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

When my 2006 Jetta TDI had 42,000 miles a timing belt clip broke at 45 mph, and after a loud "clang" the engine locked up. I requested a new engine, but VW refused and instead repaired the existing engine with a new camshaft for cylinder #1. Since then two more camshafts have failed for cylinder #1. The vehicle suddenly lost power in front of a semi tractor trailer at 65 mph and my family was almost killed. Absolute lemon. VW Customer Care Center doesn't care. Period.

Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87 on 01/21/15 11:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it. For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart. It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours. The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

Typical German Engineering- Good and Bad
By cmrva on 10/15/14 12:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my daughter's car, and to be clear, we bought it used in 2012 (70k miles) for $6k, so I didn't and don't expect miracles. Drove great, like most good German vehicles, but in my opinion, just like my wife's Mercedes, there always seems to be funny noises in the engine randomly that turn out to be pricey repairs. By 90k miles: Replaced transmission ($3K) Water pump and tension pulleys $1500 CV boots/ joint- $1k heat blanket (Inside engine on the hood) $300 Brakes 2X $800 each time.

disappointed
By posvw on 10/10/14 17:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In June, 2014 I took my 2006 VW TDI with 112K mi to the dealer for a timing belt change. I also needed a fuel filter change. Did I ever get a shock - not just sticker shock! When the service guy first called me it was to tell me my fuel filter was BLACK and that meant my injectors were shot. He also said that with this model, this year car, that there was a 50/50 chance that the cam shaft and lifting arms would need to be replaced. He explained that VW had designed these poorly with dissimilar metals and that they fail. Sure enough - a bill to the tune of $4k. So I sent 2 letters to the VW Customer Care center - I've never heard 'I apologize so many times in my life! Run far and fast

Amazingly perfect!!!!
By skateandcreate on 09/02/14 17:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love this car. The torque is phenominal. It's speed is unmatched by many cars in its class. MPG is ridiculous. I average 57.7 mpg on the highway and 38 in the city. It's governed at 114 mph, and although that is a bit disappointing considering the engine; it is plenty really. The suspension is very smooth, and road noise is considerably limited.

I love this car!
By dlaporte1 on 05/24/14 17:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac on 02/11/14 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Dangerous car to drive or ride in
By dennisinwv on 10/15/13 10:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2006 Jetta TDI in July, 2006. Timing belt broke at 42,000 miles. Camshaft had to be replaced under warranty. Camshaft failed again at 150,000 miles (timing belt was fine). Camshaft failed again at 270,000 miles. Without warning car was lost power while in cruise - almost run over by tractor-trailers more than once. Research reveals an enormous camshaft problems for TDI owners. VW put a bandaid on the original camshaft failure and allowed my family to drive and ride in an unsafe vehicle. VW mgt knew they had a problem and discontinued the 1.9 TDI engine. VW should have informed 2006 TDI owners that their car could lose power without warning.

German Engineering--seriously?
By steveocda on 06/19/13 17:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2006 TDI. I have replaced the dual mass flywheel because the original failed. That is a very expensive repair and negates a whole lot of good gas mileage savings. I also had to replace the cracked plastic valve cover. The rubber coating on the radio and radio buttons has peeled off and looks horrible. The mechanism on most of the air vents have broken off so they don't move easily. The fuel door lock sticks so the fuel door doesn't close easily. These kinds of problems simply shouldn't exist on a car at this price point. I haven't seen that kind of poor quality in any other late model I have driven.

Great Car
By pglauninger on 04/19/13 06:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.