Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Audi for VW price
By epic_sandwich

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is incredible. A true sleeper, the turbo motor responds well to simple mods (intake, downpipe, tune) but has plenty of power stock. The 6-spd is one of the best I've rowed thru. The interior just oozes luxury like a high-end Audi. The steering feel (and the wheel) is phenomenal. Brakes are great. The handling is the best- fling this family sedan into a corner and it will throw the apex into a headlock, it's incredible. Comes standard with all the luxury options but you can't option extra like phone Bluetooth, pwr seats, etc. Still an awesome deal and a true sleeper!

The performance first, luxury a very close second. The comfort of this car is incredible. Virtually no road noise below 80mph. You can't hear the engine unless you want to (like in boost). The ergonomics are fantastic. HID headlights light up the city. I'm a solid VW fan after owning this car!

Exterior styling is rather subdued. The GTI-styled honeycomb grille is nice, but that's where the distinguishing features end between the hotrod GLI and the standard Jetta's, save for the 17" wheels and painted red brake calipers. Some lowering springs go a long way.

Best Sports Sedan Value
By Jeff Greenberg

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for 3 years and 40,000 miles and it drives as good as the day I picked it up. I came from a Saab 9-3 and looked at buying a new one until I drove the GLI. I also considered the Acura TSX, Audi A4, BMW 328I and Infiniti G35. The GLI handled and performed as well or better and priced up to $10,000 less. If you are looking for a great handling, powerful sports sedan without having to say "Look at Me" this is the car for you. I don't look at this car as an overpriced Jetta but as a bargain BMW. I have been so happy with it that I bought the car after my lease ended. This car has incredible build quality and plenty of room in the cabin. You will not be sorry!

2.0 Turbo engine has little turbo lag with plenty of power and 26 mpg. Sport suspension, sport seats, sport steering wheel, silky smooth stick and clutch feel, huge trunk and large storage bins on doors, great sounding stereo

some luxury options not available such as power seats, homelink, IPOD, Bluetooth.

Not Sure If I'll Get Another V-Dub
By Ed

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First VW to own. 2006 manual GLI package w/leather, XM radio. Fun car to drive but already had problems with it and had it a year. Had 2 months before it started overheating - coolant hose connection problem that kept the fan running after I turned the ignition off, which was depleting the battery. Five months later, another problem with a hose that was making some heavy noise from the engine. Both were fixed by the dealer. Now all of the buttons are starting to peel off (plastic/rubber finish)!? Went to the dealer, have to come back when someone could pull out the radio, find the manufacturer, and order new radio. Dealer oil changes too $$. Took to private shop, told it was burning oil like crazy!

Interior styling, color (red), paint job, steering wheel controls, satellite radio, sound. Lots of fun to drive, fun to manually shift.

Less connection/electrical problems. Heavy wear on driver's side leather side, and I clean the leather about 3 times a month. Too much brake dust on the wheels. Didn't think there would be this much cost/service involved w/a foreign auto.

2006 GLI 2.0T
By VW

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for 6 months and love it. Interior is much improved from my 03 GTI VR6, the ergonomics are far superior. The turbo engine is strong no matter where you catch it in the RPM band and the six speed is excellent. Features such as the trip computer, auto up/down on all the windows, and ventilated glovebox are all small features that set this car apart from its competitors. This car represents excellent value. Oh did I mention I have logged 34.5 mpg on the highway?

Engine, steering, interior.

Snow performance is horrible (could be the summer/all season tires). Styling is a bit bland on the exterior.

Forget about Japanese cars, get a GLI !
By z3r0c00l

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

6 months ago, I was searching for a new car and thinking to get a Honda Civic SI, Nissan Altima 3.5L OR a Toyota Camry V6. However, I saw someone drove a new GLI and amazed with how beautiful the car was. I owned a VW Golf 2.0L and it was an OK car for me, not too impressed by it. Then, I decided to test drive a GLI and fell in love right away! Forget about those Japanese cars which are built by old grandma non-virgin metal! That's why they are cheap! Get a real car under $30,000, complete w/ Package 2 GLI and you'll never regret it. The car is superb, comes with high quality interior, sweet looking exterior and excellent performance. I don't like it, I love it!

Interior is superb, Exterior is nice and performance is excellent. For under $30,000, you'll never get a better deal for a European sport sedan than a VW GLI. Quality, comfort and style are there. See it, try it and own it. You'll never ever go back to Japanese or American car! I am the living proof

Suspension can be a little lower like the one that is on VW GTI.