2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer on 04/14/12 04:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk. Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle. It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it." Hence the title. Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

On the CR used car to avoid list - Great!
By ppetrie on 03/24/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car has so many engineering deficiencies, that result in so many expensive repairs just to keep it running, that CR in April 2011, put it on the used car to avoid list. The four areas with 3 to 5 times the incidence of repair for an average vehicle were: Cooling system - Engine cooling fan cassette & related wiring goes out at around 60K to 80K miles $800 to $1,200; A/C system, compressor seizes; Body Hardware failures - window regulators, door latches, trunk latches; and I think, major Fuel System issues. On my car, it wouldn't hold an on center track - can't be fixed, design flaw, making extended highway travel fatiguing; stalls without warning at idle - problem can't be identified.

Practical, Comfortable but not Spacious
By Weekender on 06/23/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife. She uses it everyday and we use it on long trips. It is comfortable with an excellent, balanced ride. The rear seat is a little cramped but the boot is huge. It is good to drive albeit with excessive clutch play required at idling speeds. The transmission is short and crisp. The steering is precise. It inspires a somewhat erect driving position. The fuel economy we get is 24 mpg, it could be better if VW didn't make this strange choice of a 2.5 5-in-line engine which doesn't really have stellar performance.

Problems since Day 1
By Problems since Day 1 on 12/23/08 14:37 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my VW jetta 2.5 in September of 2006, it only had 85 miles on it from one dealership to mine. The second day driving I heard the brakes squeaking. So I told the dealership and they checked the breaks saying nothing was wrong. The noise continued and progressively became worse to the point where my brakes were grinding, so they replaced the brakes as a one time good will replacement. Since then the problem has continued and I've had my brakes replaced 4 times, the last time I had to pay 400 dollars later. My brakes still squeak and grind. The car is great except for the constant brake change and gas mileage which goes down once you go over 70 mph.

Never Again
By Momof1 on 10/24/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am a previous 99 Jetta owner and bought the 06 Jetta in 07 and have had nothing but problems. The dealership hates me because I'm constantly in there. Cold starts on this thing are horrible car makes a really annoying noise which I was told all of them make after repeated visits to the dealership for this problem. The headliner came undone and had to be replaced about 2 months ago. I just had the catalytic converter replaced this month and now I have this burning smell coming from the rear of the car. I have to say that I'm very disappointed with this vehicle and will probably trade it in soon only because I don't want anything to happen to it when my warranty runs out.

Love my Jetta
By Love my Jetta on 06/25/08 15:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my second Jetta. Even though Consumer Reports gave the Jetta a poor review in 2005 I went ahead and bought the '06. My previous Jetta was a '98. What a great choice that was. I have had it for over two years now and, 24,000 miles later, it has performed perfectly. I still get a thrill out of driving it. City mileage about 24-25 mpg.

Lovin' the V DUB
By Beav on 03/24/07 22:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my second VW and I'm very impressed with the looks, performance, and features in my perffecta model Jetta. It was a great value at a total of $21,000 (including $4000 off because it was last years model) with Sirius, 6 disc cd changer, alloy wheels, euro style lights, spoiler and leather seats, plus the dealer added heated seats and a sunroof. It drives very smooth and handles well, and can very easily reach high speeds without realizing it. I drive it 100 miles for work every day, and drove it on vacation for 12 hours, with 3 people in it, and it is pretty comfortable to ride in.

Don't Buy a Jetta!
By Raul on 02/06/07 17:47 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had a very bad time with my Jetta, I've been to the dealership so many times that I'm ready to dump this car like a hot potato. Where do I start?! The A/C failed in the summer and it took three days to fix. The power windows went out, the back seat was bad, and now it is leaking oil like crazy and they don't even have the part to fix it. The back brakes pads need replacement, which will cost $300. I'm buying a Camry!

Took that Chance and May Now Regret It
By cuckoo4watches on 01/29/07 18:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, I've owned 35 vehicles, of which 5 were VWs. To me, it seemed VW screwed up with the more recent runs and after two poorly built GTIs (99.5 2.0L & 01 VR6). I said I would NEVER buy another. Well, I had to swallow my pride and pick up one this past summer because of a baby. I sadly traded in my hopped up Mini Cooper 'S' to get something more family oriented. Now I may have made a mistake I've had my car for 7 months and it only has 4,000 miles on it. All sorts of little fit and finish issues are popping up now and now that cold weather is back, my car doesn't start properly, with that high then low rev. I am a nit-picker but my wife's Hyundai is built much much better! Perhaps I made a mistake!

"The best ride period."
By ANGEL POMALES on 10/13/06 13:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Outstanding is a short word for this magnificient car." Three thumbs up", Volkswagen did it again. The ride, the looks everybody in my family loves it, my neighbors etc.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.