Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

200,000 with my '06 Jetta 2.5 manual!
By Dave

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta new when I was 24 with the intent to keep it a minimum of 10 years/200,000 miles. I almost bought a manual loaded Mazda 3, boy I am glad I didn't do that. It now has almost 201,000 miles on it and I have mixed feelings.

The headlights burn out far too often, the rear brakes get locked up after getting new pads/rotors EVERY time because dealers and non dealer shops have no idea how the Germans designed the brake system in the 06-11 Jetta lol! New brake lines every time will solve the issue usually.

Squeaks and rattles come and go randomly, the AM radio gets terrible reception (in Vegas anyway) and there is some road noise and engine noise, both of which I like actually. The inline 5 cylinder engine sounds great to me especially around 4-5,000rpm which I visit quite often.

Gas mileage is a decent 24-26/mpg combined. I usually see about 30.5 on the freeway and right at 22-23 in city. The manual transmission allows this. Speaking of my manual, I've only replaced the clutch one time at a dealer(never again as it cost way too much!).

Normal fixes during my car's life include the water pump replaced once, fuel pump once, cooling fans once, radio system once due to wear on the dials, and a few other small things. If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a good VW non-dealer mechanic you'll save lots of $$ as the dealer prices for ALL work is just ABSURD!!!!

Overall I have loved my vehicle. It's not perfect but I plan to keep it at least 5 more years unless repairs cost me more than 1,500-2,000 a year as a new car payment would then become logical. My headliner is still attached, my car still tracks straight, it's not a Mazda 3, and it still starts the first time every time. This is due to absolutely 100% strict maintenance being done, all oil changes, filter changes, lubes and tunes done at manufacturer recommended intervals. It's been a little pricey but well worth it.

My interior is in like new condition except for some tears in the pleather seat that I got while moving (a pic frame stabbed my seat 😕) and my stearing wheel is super corroded for some reason. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my Jetta!

"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk.

Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle.

It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it."

Hence the title.

Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

leather seats, the look.

ridiculous amounts of things require special "dealership only" service. Get the stupid "security" key lug off the tires asap. MANY times the manual tells owners not to try a simple repair themselves, but "only a trained service professional..." Crap!

On the CR used car to avoid list - Great!
By ppetrie

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car has so many engineering deficiencies, that result in so many expensive repairs just to keep it running, that CR in April 2011, put it on the used car to avoid list. The four areas with 3 to 5 times the incidence of repair for an average vehicle were: Cooling system - Engine cooling fan cassette & related wiring goes out at around 60K to 80K miles $800 to $1,200; A/C system, compressor seizes; Body Hardware failures - window regulators, door latches, trunk latches; and I think, major Fuel System issues.
On my car, it wouldn't hold an on center track - can't be fixed, design flaw, making extended highway travel fatiguing; stalls without warning at idle - problem can't be identified.

Car initially seemed well built. It's a very solid body with little flex over bumps & in cornering. But numerous longevity and reliabilty issues plague this made in Mexico VW, and very early on in it's life, at around 50,000 to 60,000 miles, it becomes a serious liability needing frequent, even repeated expensive repairs to keep it on the road. It is a shockingly poor vehicle in terms of reliability, given that most of today's better vehicles reach 150,000 miles without any major repairs.

Close the Mexico manufacturing plants. The German made VW's like the Golf, seem to do much better as reliable transportation. As for this Jetta, I sold it. That was a great improvement for me, as it became someone elses problem.

Practical, Comfortable but not Spacious
By Weekender

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife. She uses it everyday and we use it on long trips. It is comfortable with an excellent, balanced ride. The rear seat is a little cramped but the boot is huge. It is good to drive albeit with excessive clutch play required at idling speeds. The transmission is short and crisp. The steering is precise. It inspires a somewhat erect driving position. The fuel economy we get is 24 mpg, it could be better if VW didn't make this strange choice of a 2.5 5-in-line engine which doesn't really have stellar performance.

Build quality, solid feel.

Engine, rear seat space.

Problems since Day 1
By Problems since Day 1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my VW jetta 2.5 in September of 2006, it only had 85 miles on it from one dealership to mine. The second day driving I heard the brakes squeaking. So I told the dealership and they checked the breaks saying nothing was wrong. The noise continued and progressively became worse to the point where my brakes were grinding, so they replaced the brakes as a one time good will replacement. Since then the problem has continued and I've had my brakes replaced 4 times, the last time I had to pay 400 dollars later. My brakes still squeak and grind. The car is great except for the constant brake change and gas mileage which goes down once you go over 70 mph.