Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

VW means poor quality
By nomorvw

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning 4 Honda vehicles (civic and accord) i bought my son a new 2006 Jetta. I was impressed by the ride and the safety rating for the Jetta. however, now 5 years and 75K , i am stuck with a 1600.00 repair bill for a clutch repair. Apparently, the hydraulic cylinders for the clutch broke apart and soaked the clutch assembly. If the flywheel is damaged add another 600.00 to the repair cost. The care is barely paid for and the car is literally falling apart. I did call customer care at VW and received a nice apology. Dont buy a VW product!!

Solid, fun, different.
By Fahrenvergnügen

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the Jetta for 3 years and am very satisfied. It's a good sized vehicle for me and the type of driving I do: trips around town, sometimes with people and things, and the occasional road trip. After 48K miles, I'm hard pressed to find any faults at all. It's reliable, fun & sensible, but not boring and bland like the Asian competition. The 5spd and 2.5 motor have plenty of torque to compete off the line if you are a skilled rower. The interior build quality is Teutonic solid, ergonomically correct for the driver. Pax might find it a bit "stiff" (mine have, but I don't care, because I'm having fun driving). Looking forward to at least 100K unless I upgrade to an Audi before then.

Favorite Features

Motor grunt, low-end torque, build quality, ability to swallow 2 pairs of skis or bikes with the trunk lid closed, turn radius, crisp handling, trouble-free reliability. It's different in subtle ways that set it apart from Honda and Toyota products, which makes it even more fun.

Suggested Improvements

VW should improve the coatings on radio and window controls. Southern heat and humidity causes it to blister and bubble up. No other suggestions- VW did good on this one.

Best car I've owned
By scirocco62

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've my Jetta for over 2 years and I will be sorry to see it go when my lease ends. Although it looks too much like a Toyota once you get behind the wheel you know it's a VW. I love the MP3 CD player and the ice cold a/c in the summer and the heated mirrors and quick heat in the winter. The car is an absolute blast to drive and my dealer is great only had 1 problem with the brakes and they took care of immediately. I will certainly lease another. one

Favorite Features

Ice cold a/c. mp3 cd player. great mpg. great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Make it look like a vw. Get rid of michelin tires they are junk

Great Car
By jmdeboer

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Even though I bought a 2.5, it still has spunk. The 5-speed transmission makes it fun to drive, plus the addition of a K&N air filter (pain to put in) adds more zip and improved gas mileage (24-33.4 mpg). Now having put some miles on it, the drive is still fun and I want to improve it with more power parts to make it even better for the $16,000 that I bought it for.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had more power with a 4-cyl none turbo. Plus make it easier for a handyman to change the oil (the filter is hard to find)

Great for the Money
By Joe

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

For the money, the 2006 Jetta Value Edition is a great car. I bought my 2006 Jetta slightly used and knew that I had made the right choice. As I look through the ratings of other cars I just laugh. GM is really funny. None of its vehicles should get a 5 or higher except for the Vett. VW makes good cars because they are drivers' cars. This is the second VW for me and they keep getting better. For me the 2.5 has plenty of power because I have never had a very powerful car so it hard to compare to, unlike the editors that drive a $100,000 car with 800 horsepower. Of course the Jetta isn't powerful, but compared to other vehicles in it's class it is good. My wife has a Saturn ION. Yeah, I can't wait to get rid of that car. Cheap plastic.

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier for do-it-yourselfers to change the oil.