Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Typical German Engineering- Good and Bad
By cmrva

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my daughter's car, and to be clear, we bought it used in 2012 (70k miles) for $6k, so I didn't and don't expect miracles. Drove great, like most good German vehicles, but in my opinion, just like my wife's Mercedes, there always seems to be funny noises in the engine randomly that turn out to be pricey repairs. By 90k miles: Replaced transmission ($3K) Water pump and tension pulleys $1500 CV boots/ joint- $1k heat blanket (Inside engine on the hood) $300 Brakes 2X $800 each time.

Cute styling for a teenaged girl; sporty, great pickup from a dead stop. Handles well, even as an older used car. Trunk is enormous. Good for sports minded (Skis, golf clubs, equestrian equipment

VW- If you make a $30+K car, make it feel like one inside. All the rubber inside wears out! You can't see what the button function is on any radio button. Also the console mylar/plastic wrap is all bubbled from hot summers.

Horrible experience
By rachelnoli

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Jetta that ran like a dream, never had any problems even though it was 6 years old when I bought it. I bought my 2006 in 2009 with 28k on it. Right around 50k miles the check engine light started coming on and no amount of money would fix it. I took it to 3 different mechanics but as soon as I fixed one thing another problem would arise. Do your research before you buy a VW! If you find a good one, they are great cars. Otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

Wonderful, wonderful car Best I've ever owned.
By nick_89

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am staggered by the negative reviews, because that in no way been my experience. With 90,000 miles and counting, I have only had to replace two light bulbs and a brake master cylinder that's everything since I bought the car in 2005.5. The highway MPGs are consistently above 35-36 without any effort. The car is incredibly comfortable and handles very well for a FWD car. I frequently take it up to the mountain for snow activities without traction tires or chains, and it takes is like a champ trucks look stunned when I pass them effortlessly. Incredibly safe, reliable, and cheap to own and run I'll certainly buy another one (I have my eye on a TDI SportWagen).

Performance, MPGs, Handling, Comfort, Reliability, Running Costs

The paint around some of the interior finishes (i.e. some pieces of the stereo and one of the window switch) is starting to flake off, but if that's the only downside to the car, and the positives are so grand, then I'm happy.

just don't go to the "stealership"
By ghostwes

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've seen alot of reviews here knocking the mk5 jetta, this is the 4th VW I've had so far (I've had a 1987 jetta, a 1999.5 jetta, this vehicle, and I also have a 2008 GTI as well) I've never had major problems with any of these cars. compared to the mk2 and mk4 I've owned the mk5 is a deff step up from VW's previous powertrains and designs. when I do need service however, I know better than to go to the stealership when I have a phonebook with several german car speciality repair shops. Always go to them first. they can usually get any parts you need (besides keys, key fobs, and programming keys) and they can usually get parts that are better than stock.

DSG, 2.0T, heated seats, not a fan of the wood grain on the int. but some people like it, it feels bigger than my mk4 but it's so much faster!, it looks better than the mk6 jetta they have now.

this car is perfect the way it is. the mk6 just doesn't even look half as nice as the mk5.

Isn't necessarily aging gracefully....
By nrlucas

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 1 1/2 years old in 2008 with 10,000 miles to replace my totaled 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. I was over the cost of Mercedes maintenance and the Benz-Chrysler era reliability issues, however almost 5 years later this car has proven equally reliable, and because I can't find a good VW mechanic I'm still stuck with dealer servicing. I have paid every penny for maintenance of what I paid for my Mercedes...only in a car that cost slightly less than half of what the E320 cost brand new. Its very comfortable, drives nice but there are too many odd failures that have happened to me over the years including having to replace the suspension and fuel pump at 55,000 miles

Ride/comfort Compared to other cars in its class it has a very upscale interior. Good paint job (at least on mine) i have the ordinary rock chips and a couple of scratches but otherwise looks every bit as good as new. Feels solid even after 6-7 years and 80,000 miles on it.

The soft touch rubber on the buttons rubs off. Some parts seem over engineered, while others under engineered. Have herd that the timing chains on some of the earlier 2.5 5CYL engines can fail without warning...hoping and praying it doesn't happen to me! Radio has had to be completely reprogrammed multiple times for unknown reasons. Multiple repairs that has started at 55,000 miles and continue coming.