2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Horrible experience
By rachelnoli on 04/18/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Jetta that ran like a dream, never had any problems even though it was 6 years old when I bought it. I bought my 2006 in 2009 with 28k on it. Right around 50k miles the check engine light started coming on and no amount of money would fix it. I took it to 3 different mechanics but as soon as I fixed one thing another problem would arise. Do your research before you buy a VW! If you find a good one, they are great cars. Otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

Wonderful, wonderful car – Best I've ever owned.
By nick_89 on 01/17/13 22:41 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am staggered by the negative reviews, because that in no way been my experience. With 90,000 miles and counting, I have only had to replace two light bulbs and a brake master cylinder – that's everything since I bought the car in 2005.5. The highway MPGs are consistently above 35-36 without any effort. The car is incredibly comfortable and handles very well for a FWD car. I frequently take it up to the mountain for snow activities without traction tires or chains, and it takes is like a champ – trucks look stunned when I pass them effortlessly. Incredibly safe, reliable, and cheap to own and run – I'll certainly buy another one (I have my eye on a TDI SportWagen).

just don't go to the "stealership"
By ghostwes on 11/08/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've seen alot of reviews here knocking the mk5 jetta, this is the 4th VW I've had so far (I've had a 1987 jetta, a 1999.5 jetta, this vehicle, and I also have a 2008 GTI as well) I've never had major problems with any of these cars. compared to the mk2 and mk4 I've owned the mk5 is a deff step up from VW's previous powertrains and designs. when I do need service however, I know better than to go to the stealership when I have a phonebook with several german car speciality repair shops. Always go to them first. they can usually get any parts you need (besides keys, key fobs, and programming keys) and they can usually get parts that are better than stock.

Isn't necessarily aging gracefully....
By nrlucas on 07/19/12 18:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 1 1/2 years old in 2008 with 10,000 miles to replace my totaled 2004 Mercedes-Benz E320. I was over the cost of Mercedes maintenance and the Benz-Chrysler era reliability issues, however almost 5 years later this car has proven equally reliable, and because I can't find a good VW mechanic I'm still stuck with dealer servicing. I have paid every penny for maintenance of what I paid for my Mercedes...only in a car that cost slightly less than half of what the E320 cost brand new. Its very comfortable, drives nice but there are too many odd failures that have happened to me over the years including having to replace the suspension and fuel pump at 55,000 miles

it all depends on the owner
By treezy91 on 07/08/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had my 06 vw jetta for almost two years now and I can say that i am really satisfied with this german machine. I watched many many reviews on it and I know everything from grille to trunk about the car. I've read reviews from consumers on here saying that its a money pit but it all depends on the owner of the vehicle. I haven't had to many problems with car and I can honestly say it was well worth the price. I would recommand knowing a good vw mechanic rather than going to a vw dealer service for price reasons.

"...Not worth it."
By hasenpfeffer on 04/14/12 04:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

What ever happened to German engineering? This VW Jetta fell apart at 200 K. With a car payment still on the vehicle, I've had to abandon it, a worthless husk. Mechanics I've consulted since have also spontaneously offered their contempt of this vehicle. It's not just that the time chain needed repairs as the kilometers go on. It's the whole spread of sudden, systemic mechanical failures -- The waterpump, fans, electrical system, bearings.... I was told at the dealership in a whisper from the guy at the counter: "Don't do what we're recommending. It's not worth it." Hence the title. Being a budget minded guy, I'd usually be upset by this. I guess I am. Life's too short. Buy a Focus.

before you buy
By thatguy33 on 04/10/12 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought my '06 in the summer of '07 with 200 miles on it. I just rolled over 142,000 but it has been at a hefty price. If you plan to buy a VW, be prepared to go to the dealer for everything, because everything is specialized and expensive. (my uncle is a mechanic and he wouldn't even change the brakes for me). Only reason I still have this car is because I'm so upside down in it...

On the CR used car to avoid list - Great!
By ppetrie on 03/24/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car has so many engineering deficiencies, that result in so many expensive repairs just to keep it running, that CR in April 2011, put it on the used car to avoid list. The four areas with 3 to 5 times the incidence of repair for an average vehicle were: Cooling system - Engine cooling fan cassette & related wiring goes out at around 60K to 80K miles $800 to $1,200; A/C system, compressor seizes; Body Hardware failures - window regulators, door latches, trunk latches; and I think, major Fuel System issues. On my car, it wouldn't hold an on center track - can't be fixed, design flaw, making extended highway travel fatiguing; stalls without warning at idle - problem can't be identified.

NEVER again
By neveragain1209 on 03/19/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had nothing but trouble with this car. I actually feel badly for the person who bought it after I traded it in.We were a VW family but that has come to an end. 64000 miles in 6 years and the motor was blowing black smoke. Always changed the oil, replaced several major parts. VW didnt care at all-called them and no resolve. Do no buy this car! Junk-wagon. Back to being a Ford family.

Lovin' the Base 2.5 model at 65k.
By love2drive5 on 01/20/12 12:53 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car 3 yrs ago, with 30k miles, I got a great price on it ($12k). it has been great around the city, very responsive. the ASR works! my jetta is a 2.5, automatic and 17" wheels. the seats are not very comfortable for long drives (SF to los angeles). I do recommend to get the sun-roof and heated seats, I wish I did now. I test drove a 2011 jetta SE, it was beautiful, but it did not have the ASR, or the 17" wheels. it did not handle as well as mine. so I will not be trading it in. I have not had and expensive maintenance thank god. but the car does feel less "peppy" with the age. VW was never known for great high mileage cars, so I would recommend this jetta for city people.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.