Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

200,000 with my '06 Jetta 2.5 manual!
By Dave

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta new when I was 24 with the intent to keep it a minimum of 10 years/200,000 miles. I almost bought a manual loaded Mazda 3, boy I am glad I didn't do that. It now has almost 201,000 miles on it and I have mixed feelings.

The headlights burn out far too often, the rear brakes get locked up after getting new pads/rotors EVERY time because dealers and non dealer shops have no idea how the Germans designed the brake system in the 06-11 Jetta lol! New brake lines every time will solve the issue usually.

Squeaks and rattles come and go randomly, the AM radio gets terrible reception (in Vegas anyway) and there is some road noise and engine noise, both of which I like actually. The inline 5 cylinder engine sounds great to me especially around 4-5,000rpm which I visit quite often.

Gas mileage is a decent 24-26/mpg combined. I usually see about 30.5 on the freeway and right at 22-23 in city. The manual transmission allows this. Speaking of my manual, I've only replaced the clutch one time at a dealer(never again as it cost way too much!).

Normal fixes during my car's life include the water pump replaced once, fuel pump once, cooling fans once, radio system once due to wear on the dials, and a few other small things. If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a good VW non-dealer mechanic you'll save lots of $$ as the dealer prices for ALL work is just ABSURD!!!!

Overall I have loved my vehicle. It's not perfect but I plan to keep it at least 5 more years unless repairs cost me more than 1,500-2,000 a year as a new car payment would then become logical. My headliner is still attached, my car still tracks straight, it's not a Mazda 3, and it still starts the first time every time. This is due to absolutely 100% strict maintenance being done, all oil changes, filter changes, lubes and tunes done at manufacturer recommended intervals. It's been a little pricey but well worth it.

My interior is in like new condition except for some tears in the pleather seat that I got while moving (a pic frame stabbed my seat 😕) and my stearing wheel is super corroded for some reason. I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy my Jetta!

Seasoned Fahrvergnügen
By Ashley Riley

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 - Specifications
4-Door Automatic PZEV 2.5L FI
Very Good Condition
4 D Sedan
88973
5-speed automatic transmission w/Tiptronic/sport mode/ overdrive
5 2.5L-FI
PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle - A partial zero emissions vehicle is a classification in the United States for a vehicle that has zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system, has a 15-year (or at least 150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, and meets SULEV tailpipe-emission standards.)
Value Edition
Silver EXT/Grey Leather INT
EPA Class Compact (5 person seating capacity with huge trunk)
MPG City 22 / Hwy 30
Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Gel Cell Battery
AM/FM/Stereo/CD Changer-Stacker
Cell Phone Pairing/”hands free” capability/Satellite ready
Spacious glove compartment and console area
POWER:
Steering
Brakes (Anti lock x4/Wheel Disk x4/Brake life 90% remaining)
Windows
Locks
Mirrors (heated, with signal integrated lights)
Seats
Driver Front/Side
Passenger Front/Side
Front Impact
Head Curtain Impact
Tire Tread life (40% remaining)
Spare tire

Very sensitive instrumental panel, you will know if there is a problem, but, at times, a lit icon will appear when there is no problem.

Acceleration is so smooth and swift; on Hwy, I need to set "speed warning" for speed increase is subtle, and at times ticket worthy! Very clean. Purchased for elderly widowed parent who can no longer drive; 86,800 mileage at purchase.

[contact information removed]

Dissapointed #1
By Ed

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

If it has not happen by now the headliner will come off the cd will stop working properly and you will hear a fan noise when the car is started. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder and this never happen. I wonder what is coming next and I don't what to keep this car any longer. That is my
last VW that I would own.

Typical German Engineering- Good and Bad
By cmrva

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my daughter's car, and to be clear, we bought it used in 2012 (70k miles) for $6k, so I didn't and don't expect miracles.
Drove great, like most good German vehicles, but in my opinion, just like my wife's Mercedes, there always seems to be funny noises in the engine randomly that turn out to be pricey repairs.
By 90k miles:
Replaced transmission ($3K)
Water pump and tension pulleys $1500
Fuel pump
Headliner came unglued, droops down in back seat
Typical hazy headlights, we live in the country and the night time lighting is poor on this car. Spent $200 to get headlights re-glazed, that worked for almost a year, switched to high performance halogens, still poor visibility at night

CV boots/ joint- $1k
heat blanket (Inside engine on the hood) $300
Brakes 2X $800 each time.

Horrible experience
By rachelnoli

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Jetta that ran like a dream, never had any problems even though it was 6 years old when I bought it. I bought my 2006 in 2009 with 28k on it. Right around 50k miles the check engine light started coming on and no amount of money would fix it. I took it to 3 different mechanics but as soon as I fixed one thing another problem would arise. Do your research before you buy a VW! If you find a good one, they are great cars. Otherwise it'll be a nightmare.