2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I love this car!
By dlaporte1 on 05/24/14 17:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac on 02/11/14 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Great Car
By pglauninger on 04/19/13 06:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

Not so bad - I don't get the other reviews
By backhoebob1 on 09/29/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

131K miles. The car had a couple of problems, but I don't understand the reviews. Yes, you have to change the timing belt every 80k or 95K miles. Same for my Camry. The difference is I've spent $5500 less in gas to cover the same miles! (43 vs 28 mpg, $3.8 vs $4.1/g). I've put a wheel bearing on it ($300, my bust for using a dealer) and four glow plugs ($440). I'll have to cam it in 50K miles or so. SO WHAT! I'll have saved $8500 at that point. Three sets of shocks, plugs and O2 sensors on the Camry - $800. No squeaks, firm, smooth, tons of leg room (6'8"). I can't believe people complain about $3K in maint for 200K miles with $5000 in their pocket.

OH BROTHER
By onlooker4u on 01/22/12 06:23 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Bought used with 50k miles on it. Owned VW before so the peeling paint off the radio buttons and the loose headliner was no big deal (similar to my 1980 rabbit). At 95k the clutch is going out and I am afraid of whats going to be lurking under the hood. Havent fixed it, spent all weekend reviewing websites (plenty of them). I am surprised that VW hasn't had a recall. Lesson: Dont buy the 2006 TDI, and to be honest, think seriously about other TDI. If VW does something mechanically wrong, they apparently don't do the right thing and have a recall. UGGGGGH.

Do not buy 2005/6 TDI unless cam has been replaced
By vwexfan on 09/21/11 09:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I own two VW TDI Jetta's from new a 2006 and a 2010... Both have issues... I’m anal retentive on the maint and always go to dealer until warranty is over then I do it myself but always buy all my parts etc from the dealer... My 2006 has 168k km on it and the camshaft is pooched… VW Canada gave me a $400 credit towards a $4k+ repair bill… I just snickered and said can you spell the word Toyota… I love the car… like the dealership… I have owned 4 VW diesels each with over 400K on them with never an issue… I think you are seeing VW’s goal to be the #1 manufacture and lots of short cuts… After 20 plus years of good value I guess I need to find another path… DO not buy any 2005/6 TDI’s they all have this problem with the cam… it is a manufacturing issue… the hardness in the cam was never right on them… all of them will fail sub 200k… I personally know of 4 all between the 160-190k mark…

Above Average
By gillam on 07/15/11 16:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car seems to have the same issues as other cars. I bought it new with a grand total of three miles on it. 60,000 miles later the airbag light is on and a coolant temperature sensor has failed. Don't know about the airbag light but the temperature sensor is about $20 from NAPA. The fuel economy is excellent, I average 47 mpg to and from work. I use the cruise control as much as possible and that seems to help. I am not a VW guy and to be honest the car is a little feminine for me but I'm long over it. It does use weird oil and oil filters but so far haven't had a problem at Jiffy Lubes across the country. I definatly recommend this car, I think its better then most others

Best Car I've Ever owned
By starsister on 02/21/11 07:12 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Am coming up on 5th year of ownership. Bought my TDI brand-new and have 128K miles and still cruising on the original brakes. This is a wonderful car. I keep it serviced every 5000 miles by the dealer. I continously maintain 40-45 mpg. When I think to "hyper-mile" I can get 50 mpg. I highly recommend this car to those who need good mileage. It is very comfortable for long distance driving also. It is a mid-sized luxury car. Very pleased customer!

Worst Car we've ever had! Avoid it like the plague
By jettatdigreen on 01/29/11 12:52 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We were excited to get a TDI. Diesel engines are supposed to last a long time. We were told by the salesperson "this is a 400,000 mile engine." Maintenance is horrible and costs an arm and a leg. At five years and 83,000 miles the well known cam shaft and lifters failure occurred costing us $4000 to repair. Even though it's a well known problem VW of America said "there are no recalls on it and you're out of warranty." Less than 2000 miles after the they replaced half the engine it died again and they say "oh the turbo is dead" and it has nothing to do with the last repair - that will be $3000. Just to get it working enough to trade it in has cost us 2/3 of what the car is worth.

Major TDI Engine Repairs...Cam failures
By okcar4me on 12/15/10 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Known issue on TDI owner club - cam shaft and lifters fail (not hardened correctly)... BRM Engine code 1.9L Costs to repair was $2000. Prevention: have timing belt replacement, at same time ask for mechanic to assess the valve lifters (followers)... for scarring, pitting and worse yet total failure! Will lose power, will trip all sorts of codes Check engine, progresses to worse! Sorry VW does not offer any ear to this problem.. I am going to japanese engines! Never again for me. If it happens report it to NHTSA ODI (google it). best wishes.....

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.