Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A Coffin on Wheels
By dennisinwv

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

When my 2006 Jetta TDI had 42,000 miles a timing belt clip broke at 45 mph, and after a loud "clang" the engine locked up. I requested a new engine, but VW refused and instead repaired the existing engine with a new camshaft for cylinder #1. Since then two more camshafts have failed for cylinder #1. The vehicle suddenly lost power in front of a semi tractor trailer at 65 mph and my family was almost killed. Absolute lemon. VW Customer Care Center doesn't care. Period.

Favorite Features

I have driven millions of miles in my lifetime. Regularly gotten 200,000 to 300,000 out of my vehicles with never a camshaft problem. This 2006 Jetta TDI needs its 4th camshaft.

Suggested Improvements

The best suggested improvement would be not to purchase a vehicle that can suffer sudden loss of power in high speed traffic.

Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it. For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart. It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours. The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Design, (exterior and in) comfortable

disappointed
By posvw

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

In June, 2014 I took my 2006 VW TDI with 112K mi to the dealer for a timing belt change. I also needed a fuel filter change. Did I ever get a shock - not just sticker shock! When the service guy first called me it was to tell me my fuel filter was BLACK and that meant my injectors were shot. He also said that with this model, this year car, that there was a 50/50 chance that the cam shaft and lifting arms would need to be replaced. He explained that VW had designed these poorly with dissimilar metals and that they fail. Sure enough - a bill to the tune of $4k. So I sent 2 letters to the VW Customer Care center - I've never heard 'I apologize so many times in my life! Run far and fast

Favorite Features

I have nothing good to say.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to take some ownership in the repairs I experienced. I got no satisfaction from the customer care center. None! Even with 2 letter and 2 phone conversations, neither time was I asked if my car was okay now, if I was happy with the dealer service dept, who I dealt with there, and any indication that there would be an investigation or my concerns taken seriously. I want reimbursed for my repairs and to even possibly remotely think about purchasing another VW, it would have to be at cost. I'm just happy to have a forum to vent my frustration, disappointment, and be able to warn others that this is not a car for you if you don't like service depts and big repair bills.

Amazingly perfect!!!!
By skateandcreate

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love this car. The torque is phenominal. It's speed is unmatched by many cars in its class. MPG is ridiculous. I average 57.7 mpg on the highway and 38 in the city. It's governed at 114 mph, and although that is a bit disappointing considering the engine; it is plenty really. The suspension is very smooth, and road noise is considerably limited.

Favorite Features

It has all the features of its luxurious cousin the Audi A4 to include telescoping steering wheel, fully electric driver-seat positioning, 5-setting heated seats, multi-functin display that shows mpg and etc., sport mode, leather seats, dual climate control for pasenger and driver, 9v outlet on adjustable arm rest, cruise control, speed adjusted volume control that gets louder when traveling over 60mph, and AUX connection, satlleite radio capability, 5 CD disk changer, manual-automatic transmission, heated mirrors, adjustable interior-light intensity, 10-speaker sound system, and volume and station control on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER!!!! Although it does very fine stock.

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features - manual transmission, the trunk is big enough to carry 2 bodies around and the back seat is large enough for normal sized people. We also love the heated leather seats and the dual heater controls (I'm always warm, he's always cold). All in all, a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders and a larger glove box would be nice. I'm not really fond of the plastic grill with chrome on it, but every vehicle has that anymore. I also wish that the tires wouldn't pack snow up in the wheel wells - it's almost impossible to remove and turns into ice.