2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87 on 01/21/15 11:40 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it. For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart. It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours. The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

I love this car!
By dlaporte1 on 05/24/14 17:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac on 02/11/14 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Dangerous car to drive or ride in
By dennisinwv on 10/15/13 10:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2006 Jetta TDI in July, 2006. Timing belt broke at 42,000 miles. Camshaft had to be replaced under warranty. Camshaft failed again at 150,000 miles (timing belt was fine). Camshaft failed again at 270,000 miles. Without warning car was lost power while in cruise - almost run over by tractor-trailers more than once. Research reveals an enormous camshaft problems for TDI owners. VW put a bandaid on the original camshaft failure and allowed my family to drive and ride in an unsafe vehicle. VW mgt knew they had a problem and discontinued the 1.9 TDI engine. VW should have informed 2006 TDI owners that their car could lose power without warning.

German Engineering--seriously?
By steveocda on 06/19/13 17:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2006 TDI. I have replaced the dual mass flywheel because the original failed. That is a very expensive repair and negates a whole lot of good gas mileage savings. I also had to replace the cracked plastic valve cover. The rubber coating on the radio and radio buttons has peeled off and looks horrible. The mechanism on most of the air vents have broken off so they don't move easily. The fuel door lock sticks so the fuel door doesn't close easily. These kinds of problems simply shouldn't exist on a car at this price point. I haven't seen that kind of poor quality in any other late model I have driven.

Great Car
By pglauninger on 04/19/13 06:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

VW does not care
By kingfisher440 on 01/20/13 13:47 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

disintegrating dual mass flywheel: they wouldn't even buy me a gift certificate to McDonalds and now the dealer cannot guarantee to me that the replacement dual mass flywheel is any better than the one that just failed at 82,000 miles! So, do I have another $ 2100 repair in my future when this fly wheel fails also??? Nobody seems to know. If it weren't for the good fuel efficiency, I would not own this car!

Very disappointed, last VW ever for this guy.
By norsechild76 on 12/21/12 01:42 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like the style and performance of this vehicle when it's running. However over the past 12 months I've had to pay over $5,400 in repairs/maint. just to keep it running. On top of what was done under warranty before, the following has had to be replaced: flywheel, both front axles, another front axle (second time), camshaft, horn spring ($600), the timing belt and water pump also needed done at 100k miles to the tune of $1200. 117k total miles on car...I'm selling it before something else fails and will never own another VW. These cars are fine under warranty...not worth paying off, may as well sell and buy another under warranty.

DISAPOINTED 100%
By zorica on 10/11/12 17:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Will never buy another VW vehicle. Custome service care is below zero, service dep is garbage. Have so many problems from start on my 2006 TDI Jetta, paint peeling off radio buttons, speedometer and clock always 10 km/min over. Problems with AC from start, wheelbearing, lights, dual mass flywheel etc. Noone cares, no one (VW) wants totake responisibility for defective part - flywheel, and on one admited that AC and wheelbearing were defective until I run out of the warrany. [non-permissible content removed] I am discusted in VW all together.

Not so bad - I don't get the other reviews
By backhoebob1 on 09/29/12 20:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

131K miles. The car had a couple of problems, but I don't understand the reviews. Yes, you have to change the timing belt every 80k or 95K miles. Same for my Camry. The difference is I've spent $5500 less in gas to cover the same miles! (43 vs 28 mpg, $3.8 vs $4.1/g). I've put a wheel bearing on it ($300, my bust for using a dealer) and four glow plugs ($440). I'll have to cam it in 50K miles or so. SO WHAT! I'll have saved $8500 at that point. Three sets of shocks, plugs and O2 sensors on the Camry - $800. No squeaks, firm, smooth, tons of leg room (6'8"). I can't believe people complain about $3K in maint for 200K miles with $5000 in their pocket.