Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it. For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart. It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours. The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Design, (exterior and in) comfortable

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features - manual transmission, the trunk is big enough to carry 2 bodies around and the back seat is large enough for normal sized people. We also love the heated leather seats and the dual heater controls (I'm always warm, he's always cold). All in all, a great car.

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders and a larger glove box would be nice. I'm not really fond of the plastic grill with chrome on it, but every vehicle has that anymore. I also wish that the tires wouldn't pack snow up in the wheel wells - it's almost impossible to remove and turns into ice.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Favorite Features

I loved that they offered a manual transmission. I like to feel my cars. I loved the lighting on the speedometer, that they've since changed. This was the same as my 03 and my son's 04 wagon from Germany. Great stereo. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Suggested Improvements

Take care of your clients. Why would i by a fourth after my experience with number 3's lack of client care. VW was well aware of the issues. I am going back to BMW & MBZ. I drove MBZ diesels for 15 years prior to these. I still own an F250 Power Stroke diesel and am probably going to go with the BMW 328D wagon. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Great Car
By pglauninger

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

Favorite Features

TDI... says it all on its own, plenty of torque & power, ive driven just about every car on the market and nothing in this range compares. premium soft touch surfaces premium seats plenty of hidden storage nice attention to detail great on diesel!

Suggested Improvements

fix the cam and DMF so that others stop whining like little babies about it

Not so bad - I don't get the other reviews
By backhoebob1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

131K miles. The car had a couple of problems, but I don't understand the reviews. Yes, you have to change the timing belt every 80k or 95K miles. Same for my Camry. The difference is I've spent $5500 less in gas to cover the same miles! (43 vs 28 mpg, $3.8 vs $4.1/g). I've put a wheel bearing on it ($300, my bust for using a dealer) and four glow plugs ($440). I'll have to cam it in 50K miles or so. SO WHAT! I'll have saved $8500 at that point. Three sets of shocks, plugs and O2 sensors on the Camry - $800. No squeaks, firm, smooth, tons of leg room (6'8"). I can't believe people complain about $3K in maint for 200K miles with $5000 in their pocket.

Favorite Features

50 MPG highway at 80 MPH 44 MPG around town Leg room Firm Ride No squeaks or rattles

Suggested Improvements

Six speed (oh, they did that). More power (oh, they did that too). Improve dealer service (honestly, they're embarassing). Do I really need my VIN to order a part? (yes you do!) Try to be less special (who else still uses triple square drives?)