Used 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

DIESEL
By Big Vee

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Well um reading alot of negative things on here about the 06 jetta tdi I purchased mines with 170,000 um the 2nd owner it now has 263,0000 it's just getting the camshaft Replacement billet cam along with timing belt kit only thing I've done was replace timing belt at 200k and axles thats it if people do the regular maintenance the car will last change ur oil 10k and ur air & fuel filters every 15k ur trans 50k ur good but people are triflin an get on here complaining another thing it's a German car which means it's highway built not for stop and go city driving that what Japanese cars are for

Pros have outweighed the cons
By bdunn87

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had my Jetta TDI for about 4 years now, coming on 5. Bought it with 162,000km on it.

For the most part, this car has been bullet proof. Drives smooth, gas mileage is great. Interior hasnt malfunctioned or fallen apart.

It's significantly more comfortable than the previous model. I owned a 2000 Jetta as well and just found the seats were WAY too firm. The seats are firm on this one, but not as. It's easy to drive for 10+ hours.

The only gripe I've had with this car is that for some reason, both side mirrors have somewhat corroded off. Passenger mirror went first, just kind of hung there. Then the driver side just kind of fell off out of no where. Have had to glue them back on.

Gas mileage, Design, (exterior and in) comfortable

I love this car!
By dlaporte1

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic. Here's an update - I totaled the car in February 2015 with 233,000 miles on it. We bought a 2015 Jetta TDI and got caught in the VW scandal. The car is ok, but I would love to have the old car back.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~
what a mistake!

just refused to turn over randomly.
dealer response ~ too bad.
steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy.
dealer response ~ buy a cover....
too expensive to replace and may repeat problem.
Buttons peeled.
First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off.
They're half white now;
even on ones i have never used.
dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem
Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof.
dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem.

MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

I loved that they offered a manual transmission. I like to feel my cars. I loved the lighting on the speedometer, that they've since changed. This was the same as my 03 and my son's 04 wagon from Germany. Great stereo. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Take care of your clients. Why would i by a fourth after my experience with number 3's lack of client care. VW was well aware of the issues. I am going back to BMW & MBZ. I drove MBZ diesels for 15 years prior to these. I still own an F250 Power Stroke diesel and am probably going to go with the BMW 328D wagon. Other than these items, this vehicle was just a huge disappointment. I drove to Florida to pick it up and had my dad put the required miles on it so I could bring it in to California. Now I don't want to sell it because I don't want anyone to be stuck with it.

Great Car
By pglauninger

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

TDI... says it all on its own, plenty of torque & power, ive driven just about every car on the market and nothing in this range compares. premium soft touch surfaces premium seats plenty of hidden storage nice attention to detail great on diesel!

fix the cam and DMF so that others stop whining like little babies about it