2006 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I love this car!
By dlaporte1 on 05/24/14 17:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We bought this car new in 2006 and now have 211,000 miles on it. We've replaced the timing belt twice and had 3 wheel bearings replaced. We recently replaced the original battery and the brakes have only been replaced once. Yeah, the rubber has worn off the radio buttons, but that's just cosmetic, who cares? I change the oil every 5,000 miles religiously and it doesn't leak or burn oil. It's been a great car! We're contemplating replacing the wheels because they're getting beat up - again cosmetic.

3rd TDI, first awful TDI
By heidimac on 02/11/14 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I traded a 2003 TDI sedan for this sedan ~ what a mistake! 1. just refused to turn over randomly. dealer response ~ too bad. 2. steering wheel deteriorated, peeling and gummy. dealer response ~ buy a cover.... too expensive to replace and may repeat problem. 3. Buttons peeled. First the buttons "paint" bubbled then began falling off. They're half white now; even on ones i have never used. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem 4. Headliner began separating at all the rear impact bag locations, now it dangles from the roof. dealer response ~ We have fixed that problem. 5. MPG worse than my 03 or my son's 04 wagon.

Dangerous car to drive or ride in
By dennisinwv on 10/15/13 10:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased my 2006 Jetta TDI in July, 2006. Timing belt broke at 42,000 miles. Camshaft had to be replaced under warranty. Camshaft failed again at 150,000 miles (timing belt was fine). Camshaft failed again at 270,000 miles. Without warning car was lost power while in cruise - almost run over by tractor-trailers more than once. Research reveals an enormous camshaft problems for TDI owners. VW put a bandaid on the original camshaft failure and allowed my family to drive and ride in an unsafe vehicle. VW mgt knew they had a problem and discontinued the 1.9 TDI engine. VW should have informed 2006 TDI owners that their car could lose power without warning.

German Engineering--seriously?
By steveocda on 06/19/13 17:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have a 2006 TDI. I have replaced the dual mass flywheel because the original failed. That is a very expensive repair and negates a whole lot of good gas mileage savings. I also had to replace the cracked plastic valve cover. The rubber coating on the radio and radio buttons has peeled off and looks horrible. The mechanism on most of the air vents have broken off so they don't move easily. The fuel door lock sticks so the fuel door doesn't close easily. These kinds of problems simply shouldn't exist on a car at this price point. I haven't seen that kind of poor quality in any other late model I have driven.

Great Car
By pglauninger on 04/19/13 06:18 AM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

so alot of people have been complaining about the cam and dual mass flywheel problems on this car, frankly ive had none of those issues. i purchased mine second hand with low mileage, im not at 170,000k and the only problem ive had was a rad hose broke roughly about 6 months ago. frankly i got the extended warranty with the car and never had to use it, actually never had to use my warranty on any of my past VW's. i keep coming back to the brand (4th one now) because frankly dollar for dollar you cant find anything quite comparable from ford, hyundai, nissan, mazda... ect. i love this car and all of my previous Vw's never had any problem and i swear by these cars. truly an amazing brand.

Horrible experience
By rachelnoli on 04/18/13 18:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I owned a 2001 Jetta that ran like a dream, never had any problems even though it was 6 years old when I bought it. I bought my 2006 in 2009 with 28k on it. Right around 50k miles the check engine light started coming on and no amount of money would fix it. I took it to 3 different mechanics but as soon as I fixed one thing another problem would arise. Do your research before you buy a VW! If you find a good one, they are great cars. Otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

VW does not care
By kingfisher440 on 01/20/13 13:47 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

disintegrating dual mass flywheel: they wouldn't even buy me a gift certificate to McDonalds and now the dealer cannot guarantee to me that the replacement dual mass flywheel is any better than the one that just failed at 82,000 miles! So, do I have another $ 2100 repair in my future when this fly wheel fails also??? Nobody seems to know. If it weren't for the good fuel efficiency, I would not own this car!

Wonderful, wonderful car – Best I've ever owned.
By nick_89 on 01/17/13 22:41 PM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am staggered by the negative reviews, because that in no way been my experience. With 90,000 miles and counting, I have only had to replace two light bulbs and a brake master cylinder – that's everything since I bought the car in 2005.5. The highway MPGs are consistently above 35-36 without any effort. The car is incredibly comfortable and handles very well for a FWD car. I frequently take it up to the mountain for snow activities without traction tires or chains, and it takes is like a champ – trucks look stunned when I pass them effortlessly. Incredibly safe, reliable, and cheap to own and run – I'll certainly buy another one (I have my eye on a TDI SportWagen).

Very disappointed, last VW ever for this guy.
By norsechild76 on 12/21/12 01:42 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I like the style and performance of this vehicle when it's running. However over the past 12 months I've had to pay over $5,400 in repairs/maint. just to keep it running. On top of what was done under warranty before, the following has had to be replaced: flywheel, both front axles, another front axle (second time), camshaft, horn spring ($600), the timing belt and water pump also needed done at 100k miles to the tune of $1200. 117k total miles on car...I'm selling it before something else fails and will never own another VW. These cars are fine under warranty...not worth paying off, may as well sell and buy another under warranty.

just don't go to the "stealership"
By ghostwes on 11/08/12 10:04 AM (PST)

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've seen alot of reviews here knocking the mk5 jetta, this is the 4th VW I've had so far (I've had a 1987 jetta, a 1999.5 jetta, this vehicle, and I also have a 2008 GTI as well) I've never had major problems with any of these cars. compared to the mk2 and mk4 I've owned the mk5 is a deff step up from VW's previous powertrains and designs. when I do need service however, I know better than to go to the stealership when I have a phonebook with several german car speciality repair shops. Always go to them first. they can usually get any parts you need (besides keys, key fobs, and programming keys) and they can usually get parts that are better than stock.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.