2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Reminds me of my old GTI

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Review

Reminds me of my old GTI
By JDK Ents on

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

What a joy! After years of driving Taurus's (including a SHO), a Maxima, and an Altima, I'd forgotten about driving fun. I had a first year GTI (1983) which I loved - it was quick, a good highway cruiser, but not too reliable. After that I moved into a series of borrriiiing cars and forgot about fun. That has changed! I have about 4k miles on a brand spankin new 2005 Jetta GLS TDI. This beast is amazingly quick. The engine with the 5 speed manual is exceptionally well matched to the size of the car. It is perfect for the cut and thrust type driving required for stop and go traffic. The low end torque is great and is available RIGHT NOW when you stomp on the gas (diesel?) pedal.

Amazingly quick. Fantastic fuel economy, not impacted by agressive driving (I'm getting 43+ mpg regularly on primarily city driving). Nice seats, good driving position. Monsoon sound system rocks. Excellent cruising at 90mph+.

More telescoping on the steering wheel (nice to pull it a little closer). More rear legroom. Way to turn headlights off during the (extremely) short glow plug warm up period. Darn near perfect overall.