Noises and Rattles
By Stan on
2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I have had my VW Jetta for three months. It makes a horrible noise when starting (after sitting several hours), dealer says its normal :(... (secondary air pump?). Have also had several dash rattles and speaker noise. Dealer ordered repair kit for speakers, but there is no fix possible for engine noise (sounds like a diesel when first starts). I am a first and probably a last timw VW owner.
Favorite Features
I love the looks of the car, and lots of cool features.
Suggested Improvements
Need to redesign the secondary air pump so it does not make loud noise at start up. repair squeaks/rattles in dash. Lastly, It would be nice to have some place to rest left arm during long drives, currently there is not one, uncomfortable on long rides.
By droppeddead
on 08/04/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

The noise is NOT the air pump. If anyone would take the time to read the manual for the 2005 jetta then they would realise why it makes noise when you start it from a cold start. The oil compression systems in the Jettas require oil pressure to build up to get the Hydraulic Valves to move. They will chatter and make some noise for a few brief seconds while the car is warming up. It is stated clearly in the book that comes with the car.