2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Commendable Vehicle
By steve on 03/01/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Jetta TDI is very fun and predictable to drive. All of its systems function fine. Its gas mileage was fairly close to 50 mpg on my first trip from St. Louis MO to Las Vegas NV.

Unreliable Lemon! VW won't replace!
By Alisha on 02/27/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

For some buying a VW is great but it has been the worst experience ever for me. This is my first new car and it has broken down four times in six months. The worst part is that VW doesn't know what is wrong. The last time it was in, they just kept replacing things until the code went away. The problem is that the car will work fine, then when you stop and try to go, it won't go anywhere. You give it gas but it acts like it is in neutral. This has happened in the middle of intersections almost causing us to wreck. I told VW and the dealer this, they said they won't replace my car. The VW Customer Care line lacks care and contradicts itself. VW doesn't know how to repair their cars. Note to consumers, read the lemon law carefully!

Great Car
By Doug on 02/27/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.

The Swiss Army Knife / Machintosh of Cars
By Nelson on 01/29/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My New 2005 Jetta is great. It has every gadget I could want, except GPS. It is definitely a car made to bond with the driver. This car hugs the road on curves. It never feels unstable. It's as spacious as a midsize sedan. I bought the Pkg. 2 and have everything I ever thought I'd need in a car and more. It has too many clever standard options to mention. I'm 35 years old, and the new body style suits my taste just fine. It's sporty without appearing that I'm trying to hold on too tightly to age 19. I'm so glad I got out of my gas-guzzling SUV for something smarter. Some say it's pricey, but you really get what you pay for. After all, it's a German VW!

My Jetta
By sad to say on 01/26/06 10:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 new in September. Since then, it has been in the shop for 37 days for cooling problems. I am getting rid of it, it can't be fixed. I really do love the car it's a shame.

Nothin' Betta than a Jetta
By Darryl on 01/15/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. It handles great and has outstanding acceleration when you need it. It has a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive.

Stay Away
By John on 01/12/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

Terrible Car - Will Never Buy One Again
By Della on 01/10/06 15:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 the first day it was available in Texas - Huge mistake! My car has been in the shop 5 times in 9 months, and the worst thing about it is that I am still having problems. The sunroof has broken twice. The speakers rattle terribly! They have already been fixed once, but I still have the problem. There is a clicking in the dashboard that they supposively fixed (still there). It is an automatic, but I can feel my transmission stick as it goes from gear to gear. The clock doesn't keep accurate time. They were unable to fix either of these problems. When I start the car, it is extremely loud! I am a first time VW buyer, and I can guarantee that I will never buy another!

2005 VW Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
By joshdkatz on 01/09/06 16:52 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First of all, my fuel economy is awesome. I have been getting upwards of 40 mpg in combined highway / city driving. It is generally very fun to drive. It has a very smooth and forgiving clutch and shifter. It has good pickup and can go pretty fast. I've had a few problems though. My window on my driver's side fell off the track and needed to be put back on. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Now, I am developing some trouble with my speakers. But generally, this car is pretty nice.

I Love It!
By tfs on 12/23/05 14:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the seventh VW I have owned in my life and it has been the best handling, and most fun to drive of the lot of them. The seat, 6 speed gear box and 18" tires make it a blast to drive in the tight twisty country roads here in Wisconsin. I did get a second set of tires for the long winter months here and it still handles the road fine.