Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Decent Value, Not So Decent Quality
By mjohn129

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2005.5 New Jetta 2.5 in June with 27k miles on it, like new condition. More features than everything else I looked at within this price range - loaded with leather heated seats, auto windows, wipers, and headlights, moonroof, etc. 13k miles later... (I drive a lot, especially visiting home every few weekends from college) This car is very fun to drive. It can be a little hesitant when accelerating, but does better on the Sport mode, though that quickly drains fuel. Runs smoother on mid-grade than regular. Mechanically reliable, but has minor other problems... trunk suddenly stopped locking the first time, window buttons peeling, wipers suddenly wipe for no reason, etc.

Favorite Features

Great value - heated leather seats, moonroof, auto everything, exterior, decent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality. Car runs fine, but small things started going wrong as soon as the factory warranty was up (35k miles). Not really worth fixing out of pocket, but still annoying.

TDI Horror
By John

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI was great until I hit 60000 miles then a check engine light came on. Replaced sensors, cooling kit, thermostat and the intake flap motor 3 times. Check engine light still on and VW won't take any responsibility for faulty design on flap motors. I've spent over $2,000 already. Owners of TDIs beware!!!! Sell your car before it goes out of warranty because VW will not stand behind thier product.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and great mileage when no check engine lights are on.

Suggested Improvements

Fix faulty intake flap motors and stand behind products.

Wouldn't buy it again
By ssettl2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning the car for 3 years, I can safely say I won't buy another VW. Ever since it was new, it sounds like a diesel for about 30 seconds when it starts. Very loud, dealer said it's normal. Now with only 30k on it, I am replacing the rear PADS AND ROTORS ($400+) for the second time! My Toyota has over 65K and haven't touched the brakes on it!! The Jetta also has a lot of road noise. While it does drive and handle well and is comfortable, overall I would say I am disappointed in the quality and don't expect it to hold up as long as it should for what I paid.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort and features are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the cold start noise and definitely fix the brake problem!

Good basic car but
By Sam

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the sound system Monsoon. Good ride and mileage. Paint job is suspect. I have many chips on front of car and have never experienced this with any cars dating back many years. Especially concerning since previous cars were subjected to gravel roads and this has never been on gravel or dirt roads. Transmission problems necessitated valve replacement which was covered under warranty.

Favorite Features

Nice ride for small car and respectable mileage considering that it is quite peppy in its acceleration. Nice appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job. Rear seat is quite cramped for adults.

So far so good
By who needs a hybrid?

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased new in 9/05, paid full sticker, no dealer shopped would budge on price so it came down to color/options. First diesel car ever owned and would definitely buy another one. Car seems as quiet/powerful as the 1.8 gas, mileage averages over 40mpg, 80% highway driving with the automatic. Surprising reliability as an '86 GLI I owned fell apart around 75K miles of hard driving. Gripes, I once owned a '04 Passat and was much more comfortable behind the wheel, I'm only 6' tall, the center console protrudes too much into my right leg. Also, the cruise control controls belong on the steering wheel, like the Passat. Otherwise no other major complaints other than I wish diesel was cheaper!

Favorite Features

Engine, build quality, reliability, so far, big trunk, around 500 miles between fill ups!

Suggested Improvements

All models with cruise control should have controls on steering wheel.