2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I love my Jetta
By VW Mamma on 04/21/06 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have always loved VW's. So when I was in the market for another car and this slightly used one came up for sale, I jumped at the chance to own another VW! My first car was a 1980 VW Rabbit. My mother owed a 1984 GTI Wolfsburg, I learned how to drive a stick on that one. We ran these cars until they just gave out. I've owned other cars but NOTHING compares to a VW! I have the 2005 1/2 Jetta and I love the way it handles, all the features and I love the looks I get when I'm driving it. My daughter's friends call it the "Sexy Mobile." My only wish is that it got better gas mileage (I knew I should have bought the diesel). I am a faithful VWer for LIFE!

Fun & Fast
By Inspector Jay on 03/07/06 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 6th VW, my first was a '69 Bug. It is my third Jetta in a row and all the Jettas have been red. My brother is still driving my 96 Jetta! The power and shift points on the 05 GLI have been matched perfectly! This is a turbo hot rod. It's street appeal and overall handling combined with the turbo power make it a great car to drive! I too miss the heated seats, but have grown very comfortable in the Ricarro's - it's a true sports car - some luxury has to be lost when driving a car like this. I bought it late in the production because I love the styling and my '02 only had 23,000 miles on it. I use the cruise control and get no less than 25 mpg and even 30 on the hyway!

Commendable Vehicle
By steve on 03/01/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Jetta TDI is very fun and predictable to drive. All of its systems function fine. Its gas mileage was fairly close to 50 mpg on my first trip from St. Louis MO to Las Vegas NV.

Unreliable Lemon! VW won't replace!
By Alisha on 02/27/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

For some buying a VW is great but it has been the worst experience ever for me. This is my first new car and it has broken down four times in six months. The worst part is that VW doesn't know what is wrong. The last time it was in, they just kept replacing things until the code went away. The problem is that the car will work fine, then when you stop and try to go, it won't go anywhere. You give it gas but it acts like it is in neutral. This has happened in the middle of intersections almost causing us to wreck. I told VW and the dealer this, they said they won't replace my car. The VW Customer Care line lacks care and contradicts itself. VW doesn't know how to repair their cars. Note to consumers, read the lemon law carefully!

Great Car
By Doug on 02/27/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.

The Swiss Army Knife / Machintosh of Cars
By Nelson on 01/29/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My New 2005 Jetta is great. It has every gadget I could want, except GPS. It is definitely a car made to bond with the driver. This car hugs the road on curves. It never feels unstable. It's as spacious as a midsize sedan. I bought the Pkg. 2 and have everything I ever thought I'd need in a car and more. It has too many clever standard options to mention. I'm 35 years old, and the new body style suits my taste just fine. It's sporty without appearing that I'm trying to hold on too tightly to age 19. I'm so glad I got out of my gas-guzzling SUV for something smarter. Some say it's pricey, but you really get what you pay for. After all, it's a German VW!

My Jetta
By sad to say on 01/26/06 10:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 new in September. Since then, it has been in the shop for 37 days for cooling problems. I am getting rid of it, it can't be fixed. I really do love the car it's a shame.

Nothin' Betta than a Jetta
By Darryl on 01/15/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. It handles great and has outstanding acceleration when you need it. It has a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive.

Stay Away
By John on 01/12/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

Terrible Car - Will Never Buy One Again
By Della on 01/10/06 15:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 the first day it was available in Texas - Huge mistake! My car has been in the shop 5 times in 9 months, and the worst thing about it is that I am still having problems. The sunroof has broken twice. The speakers rattle terribly! They have already been fixed once, but I still have the problem. There is a clicking in the dashboard that they supposively fixed (still there). It is an automatic, but I can feel my transmission stick as it goes from gear to gear. The clock doesn't keep accurate time. They were unable to fix either of these problems. When I start the car, it is extremely loud! I am a first time VW buyer, and I can guarantee that I will never buy another!