Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Solid car, MSRP pricey
By mike ogle

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is third Jetta we have owned, Bought new body style, $28K MSRP 5spd chosen to try and improve power of 2.5 and package 2 which puts it near to entry level luxury vehicles but so does the price. Interior design is superb, tops in class I would say, high quality plastics for most part, with a few cost cutting exceptions. Black exterior with beige interior and real wood accents, very impressive. Leather seats have held up well, no wear apparent after 64K miles. Reliability problems have been minimal with exception of stereo system which has been disappointing. Overall a nice vehicle, plan on moving to a used Audi A4 in next few months to upgrade handling and power

3 spoke steering wheel, interior elegance and looks, great gas mileage, regularly get 30+ mpg, overall drive ability excellent for class, nice size trunk, comfortable ride, real wood trim, real full leather, heated seats, computer display for statistics (mpg, etc)is great

2.5 engine is coarse sounding, not befitting a $28K car, stero controls have blistered, sound quality poor, cheap plastics used on door handles, exterior looks are on bland side

The 4 Cylinder Jetta Sucks!
By Jewel2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had this car for a year yet and I'm already having problems. Like other owners, I have electrical problems with check engine lights coming on, coolant lights and all seem to be "fine" when checked by mechanics. Also the transmission sticks when driving. It sometimes jerks when trying to accelerate going uphill. My driver's side door squeaks when I open it. I've lost a hubcap and on a rainy day the tires slip. Also the fuel economy sucks on the highway as well so I'm left wondering, why did I buy this car?

I do like the compact size and find it easy to fit into most parking spaces. I also like the design of the dash. It gets good gas mileage for staying in town and not driving much.

I suggest the New Jetta. I hope its better than the old one.

Decent Value, Not So Decent Quality
By mjohn129

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2005.5 New Jetta 2.5 in June with 27k miles on it, like new condition. More features than everything else I looked at within this price range - loaded with leather heated seats, auto windows, wipers, and headlights, moonroof, etc. 13k miles later... (I drive a lot, especially visiting home every few weekends from college) This car is very fun to drive. It can be a little hesitant when accelerating, but does better on the Sport mode, though that quickly drains fuel. Runs smoother on mid-grade than regular. Mechanically reliable, but has minor other problems... trunk suddenly stopped locking the first time, window buttons peeling, wipers suddenly wipe for no reason, etc.

Great value - heated leather seats, moonroof, auto everything, exterior, decent handling.

Better quality. Car runs fine, but small things started going wrong as soon as the factory warranty was up (35k miles). Not really worth fixing out of pocket, but still annoying.

TDI Horror
By John

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI was great until I hit 60000 miles then a check engine light came on. Replaced sensors, cooling kit, thermostat and the intake flap motor 3 times. Check engine light still on and VW won't take any responsibility for faulty design on flap motors. I've spent over $2,000 already. Owners of TDIs beware!!!! Sell your car before it goes out of warranty because VW will not stand behind thier product.

Fun to drive and great mileage when no check engine lights are on.

Fix faulty intake flap motors and stand behind products.

Wouldn't buy it again
By ssettl2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After owning the car for 3 years, I can safely say I won't buy another VW. Ever since it was new, it sounds like a diesel for about 30 seconds when it starts. Very loud, dealer said it's normal. Now with only 30k on it, I am replacing the rear PADS AND ROTORS ($400+) for the second time! My Toyota has over 65K and haven't touched the brakes on it!! The Jetta also has a lot of road noise. While it does drive and handle well and is comfortable, overall I would say I am disappointed in the quality and don't expect it to hold up as long as it should for what I paid.

Interior comfort and features are nice.

Fix the cold start noise and definitely fix the brake problem!