Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, power roof.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a block heater, maintenance is too high, expensive for a sub compact car, forever to heat up! They eat light bulbs, count how many you meet on the road with a light out. It is rather amusing!!!!!!!!!!

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !

Favorite Features

Dual Climate Zone, Leather trim, Heated Seat, Tiptronic, Sound

Suggested Improvements

Exterior more Corolla like Mileage

Great car... But BEWARE!!!!
By Luftlinea

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this certified pre-owned car with 25,000 miles. Although it was 3 yrs old... It seemed new. Friends and family love this little car. I have gotten many compliments at stop lights. Here are a few problems I have experienced. Some rattling sounds. Have taken it to dealer twice to fix, but panels keep coming loose. Cold start is very load and diesel like... They say its normal. Wiper come on for no reason. There was one occasion where trunk release did not work. Had to replace the gas tank release mechn. Word of advise... I have extended warranty until 74,000 mi. Do not be afraid to take it back to get fixed. Every is great at the dealership. They know me by name.

Favorite Features

Interior lights, heated seats, six disc CD changer and large trunk. Friendly staff at dealership. Great support even though some problems keep recurring.

Suggested Improvements

Crap Happens!!! what the hell is that noise during cold starts?

Solid car, MSRP pricey
By mike ogle

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is third Jetta we have owned, Bought new body style, $28K MSRP 5spd chosen to try and improve power of 2.5 and package 2 which puts it near to entry level luxury vehicles but so does the price. Interior design is superb, tops in class I would say, high quality plastics for most part, with a few cost cutting exceptions. Black exterior with beige interior and real wood accents, very impressive. Leather seats have held up well, no wear apparent after 64K miles. Reliability problems have been minimal with exception of stereo system which has been disappointing. Overall a nice vehicle, plan on moving to a used Audi A4 in next few months to upgrade handling and power

Favorite Features

3 spoke steering wheel, interior elegance and looks, great gas mileage, regularly get 30+ mpg, overall drive ability excellent for class, nice size trunk, comfortable ride, real wood trim, real full leather, heated seats, computer display for statistics (mpg, etc)is great

Suggested Improvements

2.5 engine is coarse sounding, not befitting a $28K car, stero controls have blistered, sound quality poor, cheap plastics used on door handles, exterior looks are on bland side

The 4 Cylinder Jetta Sucks!
By Jewel2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had this car for a year yet and I'm already having problems. Like other owners, I have electrical problems with check engine lights coming on, coolant lights and all seem to be "fine" when checked by mechanics. Also the transmission sticks when driving. It sometimes jerks when trying to accelerate going uphill. My driver's side door squeaks when I open it. I've lost a hubcap and on a rainy day the tires slip. Also the fuel economy sucks on the highway as well so I'm left wondering, why did I buy this car?

Favorite Features

I do like the compact size and find it easy to fit into most parking spaces. I also like the design of the dash. It gets good gas mileage for staying in town and not driving much.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest the New Jetta. I hope its better than the old one.