2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
So Far So Good
By Si on 09/22/06 20:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

We bought one of the first New Jettas in 2005 after considering Toyota and Honda, but the interior of the Jetta was far superior. So far the only trouble we've had was a cooling fan that would not stop running and was replaced by the dealer under warranty. There was one surprise: the rear brake pads needed to be replaced at 18,000 miles while the front brake pads looked like new. Beware of the state troopers - the car really comes alive once you pass 80 mph!

VW has hit a homerun with the new Jetta
By RDW South Carolina on 09/11/06 06:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have driven Mercedes diesel autos for fifteen years. my wife got us interested in the Jetta diesel and we made a good decision to buy the VW. it is a pleasure to drive.

Vats da big Idea? German Engineering?
By Theresar on 07/07/06 12:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta has A/C vents located to blow in every direction but the direction you need them to blow. Its directional lights stay on when you shut the vehicle off, if you don't realize this it will run your battery down. My car's alarm system flew the coop after four months. The A/C is barely A/C, don't buy this car if you live in a hot area, my daughter's Saturn ION cools 10x better. Its seat covers ball up like a cheap sweater in a dryer. This car's overall shape makes it difficult to back up as visibility even for a tall person is limited

For the Value Edition you get a lot
By davbev on 05/13/06 12:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had this car for almost a year and I still love to drive it. It has a lot of get up and go and I love burning through the gears. The stereo is pretty good considering it is the Value Edition and I love the front end styling. For around $18,000 you aren't going to find a much better car. I leased mine for $158 a month. I have had no problems at all. I just got back from North Carolina, a 10 and a half hour drive for me and it was comfortable enough for just two short gas stops. I would like to get a GLI next with even more power with exterior styling.

I love my Jetta
By VW Mamma on 04/21/06 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have always loved VW's. So when I was in the market for another car and this slightly used one came up for sale, I jumped at the chance to own another VW! My first car was a 1980 VW Rabbit. My mother owed a 1984 GTI Wolfsburg, I learned how to drive a stick on that one. We ran these cars until they just gave out. I've owned other cars but NOTHING compares to a VW! I have the 2005 1/2 Jetta and I love the way it handles, all the features and I love the looks I get when I'm driving it. My daughter's friends call it the "Sexy Mobile." My only wish is that it got better gas mileage (I knew I should have bought the diesel). I am a faithful VWer for LIFE!

Fun & Fast
By Inspector Jay on 03/07/06 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 6th VW, my first was a '69 Bug. It is my third Jetta in a row and all the Jettas have been red. My brother is still driving my 96 Jetta! The power and shift points on the 05 GLI have been matched perfectly! This is a turbo hot rod. It's street appeal and overall handling combined with the turbo power make it a great car to drive! I too miss the heated seats, but have grown very comfortable in the Ricarro's - it's a true sports car - some luxury has to be lost when driving a car like this. I bought it late in the production because I love the styling and my '02 only had 23,000 miles on it. I use the cruise control and get no less than 25 mpg and even 30 on the hyway!

The Swiss Army Knife / Machintosh of Cars
By Nelson on 01/29/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My New 2005 Jetta is great. It has every gadget I could want, except GPS. It is definitely a car made to bond with the driver. This car hugs the road on curves. It never feels unstable. It's as spacious as a midsize sedan. I bought the Pkg. 2 and have everything I ever thought I'd need in a car and more. It has too many clever standard options to mention. I'm 35 years old, and the new body style suits my taste just fine. It's sporty without appearing that I'm trying to hold on too tightly to age 19. I'm so glad I got out of my gas-guzzling SUV for something smarter. Some say it's pricey, but you really get what you pay for. After all, it's a German VW!

My Jetta
By sad to say on 01/26/06 10:39 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 new in September. Since then, it has been in the shop for 37 days for cooling problems. I am getting rid of it, it can't be fixed. I really do love the car it's a shame.

Nothin' Betta than a Jetta
By Darryl on 01/15/06 18:02 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. It handles great and has outstanding acceleration when you need it. It has a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive.

Stay Away
By John on 01/12/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.