Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling car, leather seats & heated, moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

Give us a better warranty on the electrical/mechanical problems that VK is having with their cars.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

Favorite Features

Spunky, fair gas mileage, big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel covers are cheap. Better covering for knobs, not cheap plastic that melts away.

What now
By crr

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

Favorite Features

heated leather seats

Suggested Improvements

none

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, wipers, sunroof, leatherette interior, heated seats, large trunk with hooks for groceries...

Suggested Improvements

Improve on build quality!!! Also, car calls for regular fuel, but seems to run much smoother on mid-grade. Not much of a difference between mid-grade and premium.

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !

Favorite Features

Dual Climate Zone, Leather trim, Heated Seat, Tiptronic, Sound

Suggested Improvements

Exterior more Corolla like Mileage