2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Excellent Car
By Andy on 03/27/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

After driving around a '98 Camry (smooth ride) it took a while for me to adjust to the 2005 Jetta which is stiffer - but more fun to drive. The car handles really well. You can feel the turbo kick in around 2,000 and the powerband keeps up until about 2,700. The interior quality is nicer then all the small cars I've been in (Civic, Corolla, Focus) and the layout is straightforward. I currently live in Germany (although the car is American spec, bought in the U.S.) and the car handles very well on the autobahn at speeds of 90 - 110 mph. 90 mph = 3,000rpm. Sharp looking car!

It is good for the money
By max becker on 03/22/05 09:59 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It always starts, the TDI is great for mileage. The handling is good for a car that is not a performance car.

TDI is a great engine
By DD on 03/13/05 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've now had the Jetta wagon with the diesel engine for about two months. Assuming it lasts (the engine assuredly will, time will tell about the rest of the car)it is a wonderful car. Comfortable, road-friendly, intelligently designed (they even have a sunglasses holder), this is a great car. And, I'm getting 40 mpg. It loves to cruise at 80 mph. Great car.

Ultimate in practicality and fun
By Rob from JAX on 03/04/05 12:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Jetta was everything promised. With 7,000 miles on it, I've averaged 43 mpg in the city. It's fuel efficient, yet it has get-up-and-go when it needs it. The fuel gauge is more conservative than published in the owners manual. I've been very satisfied.

A Pleasure
By jgw on 02/12/05 12:22 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We traded an 03 Passat for the Jetta TDI. No complaints. A pleasure to drive. As it is a small wagon you can't expect a lot of room. The biggest problem that I've had is the smell of diesel fuel on your hands after a fill up. (really, not much of a problem is it?). The biggest problem we have had was the rock that hit the roof. The good news, it missed the windshield but it did put a dent in the roof.

Bill's jetta
By Bill on 02/09/05 18:42 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my second TDI Jetta, I also had a 2001 and my wife purchased a 2003. We have been very satisfied with the car, its performance and reliability. I had 60,000 miles on my other car when I sold it to a friend. This is a great car. If I were to improve it I would make the rear seat leg space larger and I would quiet the interior so you would not get as much road noise.

Jetta TDI #2
By VW Owner on 01/22/05 22:20 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First Jetta TDI 2000 model was purchased used with about 40,000 Miles. Needed and automatic with good mileage for a daily 86 mile round-trip commute. Has excellent torque and good performance in traffic. After 3 years of ownership got an average of 40+ mpg. Became interested in the improved engine on the new models after 2004 which had additional torque and horsepower and also wanted an upgrade to the GLS with leather heated seats and moon roof so purchased a 2005. I have only 3,000 miles on the car but have averaged 42 MPG or better on each tank. The performance reflects the increased torque and horsepower. Am very pleased with the car.

Diesel Only
By EmmitW on 01/22/05 18:30 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Excellent driveability and road handling is nearly sports car like in its response. The diesel engine has started without any assistance at -5F and the fuel mileage has been consistently 46 mpg. The 2001 VW, with the same engine consistently ran 50 to 55 mpg. That vehicle had 160,000 in three years with minimal problems.

2005 Jetta TDI (Pumpe Duese)
By Brian on 12/30/04 16:35 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The new Pumpe Duese TDI offered in the 2005 Jetta is even better than the already proven diesel of the last generation. The new TDI features a direct injection, which as a by-product boosted engine performance and fuel economy. For those interested in speed - the New TDI Jetta will out perform the 2.0L gas 5 speed manual Jetta and get twice the gas mileage during the process! Overall, the new Jetta drives with outstanding peformance, efficency, balence and versatility.

2004 VW Jetta TDI
By John Ades on 12/15/04 17:23 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A fun car to drive.It has lots of acceleration for normal highway driving.The fuel economy is wonderful at todays prices.I have gotten as high as 49 mpg on a trip,and always get at least in the low 40's.Slightly pricey,but nothing except hybreds come close to the fuel economy.