Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

minor changes
By peter

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car, only issues, car is not level, higher in rear. Driver seat feels like you are tilted forward (falling forward), not sitting level. Also front windshield is smaller than previous Jetta's and window pillars are obstructing driver's view, saftey issues. Car has great mileage.

Favorite Features

I love the torque and gas milage.

Suggested Improvements

Level chassis or tilt driver's seat back and increase front windshield. Maybe use old chassis, which sat level and stretch body to allow room for back seat passengers and enlarged trunk.

I love this car!
By Elizabeth

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love driving this car. It handles well, gets great gas mileage, and is incredibly comfortable. Some say the visibility is limited, but it doesn't bother me a bit. But you should test drive one to make sure you like it. I have had a blast with it so far though!

Favorite Features

Everything! All the dash information, from miles until you are empty, average miles per gallon, temp, compass... And the 6-disk CD changer was a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Some kind of seat coolers! In the summer those leather seats get hot! Other than that leave it alone, its fantastic!

Love my Jetta TDI
By AUJettaTDI

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Car likes to drive the interstates, and I love driving it. Runs easily at 85 and still wants to go faster. Very perky car too. Handles very well.

Favorite Features

dual climate control, sporty shifting of gears. High speed indicator that I set off often.

Suggested Improvements

You can only buy oil at a dealer. At $8 per quart, it's very expensive to do an oil change.

Finest Car, near luxury, Fuel Economy
By Dieselguy1

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The Jetta TDI 2005.5 is an exceptionally well built car and is a top performer. The diesel engine is quiet and smooth. Acceleration is crisp and road handling excellent. I do quite a bit of back road, very windy driving and it handles the road wonderfully. Fuel economy so far on a brand new 1 week old engine is 45 mpg! in mixed city driving. Top speed going to work is maybe 50 mph. Avergae speed is 40 mph.

Favorite Features

Engine performance and fuel economy is tops. Classy car, climatic control, Tiptronic transmission, seating, sunroof, alloy wheels, etc. Love it all.

Suggested Improvements

Remove the satillite radio from Pack #2 and make it a stand alone option. Not evreyone wants it or may want to add it to Pack #1.

Nice Car - Poor Build Quality
By damien

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Buy another car. Within the first 11 days of owning my New Jetta: 1. The driverís side light cover fell off. 2. The outside temperature sensor failed. 3. The driverís side door rattles 4. The center console cover rattles. A month later I am happy to report that my car has been back to the dealer twice and nothing is fixed. In fact the service manager called me to let me know that the temperature sensor has arrived; but Volkswagen has instructed the dealer that they can not install this part and that they must return the part and wait for another one. Nobody can tell me when my car will be fixed.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, when car parts are not falling off, rattling, and working properly.

Suggested Improvements

For Volkswagen - Build a quality product. For Consumers - Purchase another car.