2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good Car
By Tiffany on 06/24/08 05:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I actually bought this car because we were moving over to Europe and thought it would be easier to find parts for. WRONG! Because it was made American spec we have a really hard time getting parts. However, I have not needed to order to many things besides oil filters or air filter, thank goodness. It drives nice, but could be roomier. My husband is 5'10" and has a hard time fitting in it. The backseat is not as big as people say. I have a 10month and his rear facing car seat will only fit in the center of the back seat. And when my husband is driving his car seat gets pushed up into a vertical position. Not very safe. I would not recommend this car for people with young children.

Already Broken?
By mhibuy on 06/17/08 08:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought the first New Jetta 5 speed in my area. I have had it in the shop several times. The speakers rattle in the door, the gearshift knob top broke off, gasket replacement, etc. The newest one that truly upsets me is the "Airbag Fault" idiot light that is on now. WOW @ 55,000 miles should we have to replace an igniter for the passenger side airbag for more than 300.00 dollars?

Great Little Car
By JET-7 on 06/10/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Just purchased a dark blue 2006 Jetta 2.5 loaded with leather, sunroof, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, etc w/ 27k miles. Great little car, classy and clean looking with a lot of pickup and go. Very fun car to drive. Compared with used Camry, Fusion, and Malibu - definitely the nicest quality and drive of all, followed by the Fusion. Also looked at the new Passat, but found that the drive wasn't nearly as fun as the Passat and the dash layout was a little too complicated for my tastes. The Jetta is just right...

Best vehicle purchase EVER!!
By cdstraw on 06/04/08 04:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Absolutely fabulous vehicle. Purchased as New Jetta's were hitting showroom and dealer wanted to clear out old inventory. Within 3 months dealer wanted to purchase TDI back and give me and exceptional trade on New Jetta. No Way! Average city driving 46-48 mpg, Interstate at 65 mph cruise, 60 mpg!

Pocket Rocket
By Morianos on 05/08/08 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought this car for my wife brand new in 04 I guess. It's been great ever since and VW has stood behind it. My wife hit a curb, VW replaced the wheel and tire free of charge, a slight defect in the paint on the bumper was also fixed no problem. Fast with super gas mileage what more can you ask for.

Classy Small Car
By Mike on 04/24/08 09:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car has the 2.0L engine and the "Cold Weather" upgrade (seat warmers, leather seats, steering wheel controls). I like the look and size of this car over the new Jetta design. I get about 35 mpg with conservative highway driving(not hybrid numbers but at least it's a PZEV), and while it's not a race car, it moves with plenty of purpose. The proof of this is was driving with college students in all 5 seats, a full trunk of luggage and 3 bikes on a trunk rack, and still having power to pass on the highway(of course the mileage was not the best on this trip). I keep up with maintenance and care, the reliability on the early model years was not great but it seems problems were fixed on this year

I love it!
By BALesq on 04/18/08 11:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned the 2005.5 New Jetta since July of 2005, Option Package 1, and I love it. It's a lot of fun to drive, and the interior is so "fit and finished." If you're looking for a lot of options for a reasonable price, this car is worth looking into. I haven't had any maintenance issues. The one thing I notice (my wife has a 2006 New Jetta), is that the transmission on my car is a little "jerky" shifting between gears 1 and 2, and sometimes between 2 and 3, compared to the 2006 Jetta. But, my older model has more bells and whistles for the price. The bottom line is that I love driving this car.

WOW! Best New Vehicle I've Owned!
By Ron on 12/27/07 09:01 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My VW Jetta is everything I expected it to be. The fit and finish are first rate. No rattles or odd noises. The ride is right on target for a vehicle this size and the handling is great. The HUGE trunk is a very big plus. My fuel economy has been much better than stated on the sticker. Traveling through New England in October of 2007, and traveling on major roads along with the various State Police crusers at 80 mph, I got 34.5 mpg. The fuel milage was calculated from the last fill up and the amount of fuel needed to fill up again. I've owned Saabs etc., but for the money, you just can't go wrong with a VW Jetta. It feels like a very expensive car, but at a working mans price.

2005.5 Jetta VE
By Mikey on 12/13/07 13:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The least "VW like" VW I have owned. It has been near stone reliable for 38K miles. Interior finish weak. Soft touch finish blistering off leaving white plastic. Switches breaking or pushing through dash panel. It does not have the Euro aura of its predecessors and looks and feels more plastic. Excessive oil consumption, in my opinion. Changed every 5K with synthetic and have consumed 3-4 qts. between changes since new. Though not as much fun as previous models, the chassis is superb. Great handling combined with great ride and on 15" wheels. It is roomier for passengers and storage as well as quieter. Its just not as spirited or visually pleasing as past models have been.

Can be improved
By Walter on 11/19/07 15:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Have one ongoing problem, it's the road clearance under car, you will bottom out on road dips (not potholes) just thoses waves and dips that you cannot see. This has caused the dust panel behind front bumper to fall off. You will hit this panel entering and leaving driveways etc. There is just not enough clearance under car. I estimate the clearance under my Jetta to be approx. 2 to 3 inches at most. Is this legal? Local mecanic suggested that mybe Volkswagon might have stiffer front springs to lift car a little higher, will check soon. Good fuel economy but you lose a little of what you save from the pumps when you pay high, very high oil changes.