Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

GLI
By summersbo

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2005 VW GLI was an absolute blast to drive, when it drove. The clutch and flywheel exploded(yes exploded) at 30,000 miles leaving me stranded. A clutch and flywheel should last longer then that, 100k maybe. I ended up trading it in on a Toyota. VW are engineered with driving performance in mind but are poorly built. If your willing to deal with the expensive upkeep then this is an excellent car. But if you want reliability go with something from japan. The reliability track record of VW will prevent me from buying another.

Interior fit and finish. Excellent handling. Good acceleration. Just felt like a drivers car.

VW build a car that is reliable.

Fun, but Unreliable
By Dan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle from a VW dealer a little over a year ago. Fun to drive, mileage is excellent. However, I've spent way too much time in the dealer's service waiting room. Broken trunk latch, peeling radio controls, two bad cooling fans, bad rear brake calipers, smearing and chattering windshield wipers. In a few days I'm having the windshield replaced because it is so scratched and full of tiny pitting that it is dangerous to drive at night. Dealership claims the windshield is due to "external factors", but based on the uniformity of the pitting I'm sure it is a materials defect. I've wasted too much time getting this car fixed!

Refined interior, sporty drive, gas mileage.

Build quality. VW is cutting corners where it can't be seen to create the appearance of a fine automobile, but they don't hold together for very long. It seems the same things fail consistently on these cars--it would be nice if VW fixed those things on certified cars before reselling.

Great car!
By Andrew S

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My overall experience with my first VW is great. I travel for my job which means I'm in my car for 3-5 hours everyday. Being 6'2", the electric leather seats with memory is a wonderful feature and very comfortable. The pickup and fuel economy mix is perfect as I like to take the corners quick and use the cruise control for the highways. Good looks and solid VW engineering. Purchased in Dec 08 and this review written in Sept 09 it's been great.

With the 'Special Package 2' it's rich with features. The 6 disc MP3 changer, sunroof, electric heated seats (great for the MN weather) are my favorite features.

There isn't really much I could suggest. If I have to say anything the truck release gets stuck open in the cold weather (it is MN, so). Luckily I purchased the extended warranty which fixed the cooling fan and ignition issues. Since these were know issues, look out for these before you purchase.

Never again!
By Never Again!

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Interior is nice, exterior design, lots of good features.

Get rid of the rattling sound with cold start. Needs to be of better quaility altogether. This will be my last VW. Looking to trade in and get something else!

Great Car, can't beat TDI-
By Geoff

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Nothing but good things to say about this one. I have had four other VWs, and I enjoy this the most in terms of reliability and looks. NO major problems after 150k miles, TDI still feels like new, fuel filter does need to be changed every 20k, otherwise will feel loss of power. No problems with knobs, wiring, other than rear latch can be difficult to use in really cold. I guess the worst thing was engine sway mount did break, causing engine to torque more under load. Have hit 65MPG on highway-only driving doing 60mph!

fuel economy, car radio

Seats can be a little firm after long driving. Timing chain instead of belt.