Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great car!
By Andrew S

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My overall experience with my first VW is great. I travel for my job which means I'm in my car for 3-5 hours everyday. Being 6'2", the electric leather seats with memory is a wonderful feature and very comfortable. The pickup and fuel economy mix is perfect as I like to take the corners quick and use the cruise control for the highways. Good looks and solid VW engineering. Purchased in Dec 08 and this review written in Sept 09 it's been great.

With the 'Special Package 2' it's rich with features. The 6 disc MP3 changer, sunroof, electric heated seats (great for the MN weather) are my favorite features.

There isn't really much I could suggest. If I have to say anything the truck release gets stuck open in the cold weather (it is MN, so). Luckily I purchased the extended warranty which fixed the cooling fan and ignition issues. Since these were know issues, look out for these before you purchase.

Never again!
By Never Again!

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Interior is nice, exterior design, lots of good features.

Get rid of the rattling sound with cold start. Needs to be of better quaility altogether. This will be my last VW. Looking to trade in and get something else!

Great Car, can't beat TDI-
By Geoff

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Nothing but good things to say about this one. I have had four other VWs, and I enjoy this the most in terms of reliability and looks. NO major problems after 150k miles, TDI still feels like new, fuel filter does need to be changed every 20k, otherwise will feel loss of power. No problems with knobs, wiring, other than rear latch can be difficult to use in really cold. I guess the worst thing was engine sway mount did break, causing engine to torque more under load. Have hit 65MPG on highway-only driving doing 60mph!

fuel economy, car radio

Seats can be a little firm after long driving. Timing chain instead of belt.

First and LAST VW
By Sara

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car but mine was a lemon. Features are great, love the German design. Never own one without at bumper to bumper warranty

So fun to drive, quick. Huge trunk

Make it reliable. VW doesn't stand behind its cars. Multiple parts (turbo, 4 entire electrical units replaced over 3 years, same part all 4 times)replace during warranty and they just continued after the warranty ended and VW said "sorry" but your problem now. Also rims dented easily, replaced 5

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

Excellent handling car, leather seats & heated, moon roof.

Give us a better warranty on the electrical/mechanical problems that VK is having with their cars.