Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love Hate Relationship
By marson

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have loved my Jetta since I bought it but it seems like too much is going wrong to make it worth keeping. I have had to replace almost 10 sensors on it, adjusters are breaking, and check engine codes are flying out of it like crazy. In the last month I have had to put close to 2,000 into the motor because of problems and there is only 90,000 miles on it. I take very good care of my cars and I have never had to go through this much of a headache with a car. I would never buy a VW again and if I could go back I would buy anything else.

Jetta GLI 2005 1.8 Turbo 20 Valves engine
By ismael_1966

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car from new. Have some problems thats was cover by warranty and others that not since the car does not have warranty any more. The car has around 90,000 kms. Since new the car gave me a lot of problems with the windows falling inside the doors. Plagued with Door Locks problems. Radiator fans damage, the fuse box on top of the battery got damage. Brake light switch has damage two times. The engines has some problem to start in the morning, coolant temperature sensor has been replaced 3 times. Rear brakes make awfull noise 1n reverse. The car spend more time in the mechanic than with me. If you get a VW, sell it as soon as the warranty is finish or you will go broke!

Favorite Features

I like the perfomance, strong engine and super fast aceleration. Is very fun to drive this car. I love the exterior design

Suggested Improvements

The huge problem of this car is that they make almost all the electric parts with cheap plastic that brake very easy. The plastic fuse box on top of the car batery got melted because of a short circuit from one of the radiator fans. Plastic parts that support the windows brake very easy and the window fall inside the door. Plastic brake switch melted 2 times! If you get on a VW forum like vwvortex.com, you will see a lot of people experience the same problems. Why VW does not monitor does forums in order to hear what people are complaning and this way make does plastic parts better. Belive me, VW nows about all this problems since many customers are complaning about the same problems.

nice car but probably not again
By bnienhau

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought the new 2005 Jetta with the 2006 body style. I bought it new with about 32000 miles and within about 20000 miles I had to to take in for a tranny problem. good thing it was under warranty. I havent had any more problems except for the interior. Raido is peeling and the handles black paint is peeling. The cosmetic issues inside are garbage but all in all a good car if that is not a conern. I have 2 years left on my loan so I hope it lasts cince it now has 100000 miles on it. Will the car last. Any suggestions on making it last are welcome.

Expensive Fix
By SD

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The first 5 years I had the Jetta I absolutely loved it. Performed all routine maintenance as recommended and had no issues other than normal wear & tear (tires & brakes). Hit 90,000 miles and problems have not stopped. Exhaust check engine light came on, $1000 to fix vent fans for engine. Didn't do service and two weeks later check engine light went off and problem ceased. 1 month later airbag fault light came on, trunk won't lock and opens when I am driving! Passanger side window will not roll up, stuck about 6 inches down. Appear to be all electrical issues but fix is very expensive.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, sound system, drives well, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Problems are too common and expensive. After reading other reviews I realized how common the problems I have had are (trunk latch not locking, electrical, window/door issues. Great car in the beginning so purchase extended warranty or lease only.

Love this car! Will not be my last VW!!
By Laurie

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bout this car from a private party, July 2010. It is NOT the tdi, the 1.8l. I am 20 years old, so you can imagine how I drive my car. Fiance and I are both active firefighters, this car goes through it all. I drive it to work and college every day, also on shopping trips over 100 miles away. Car runs wonderfully, you can't even hear it running. I did hit a deer, was very impressed with the durability of the car. The driver door held up beautifully, and the window shattered just like it was supposed to. There are no problems with anything on this car, must say it is the best investment I have made. I will be buying another VW, just not the turbo diesel! Too many problems with those.

Suggested Improvements

None!