2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
GLI
By summersbo on 01/22/10 18:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2005 VW GLI was an absolute blast to drive, when it drove. The clutch and flywheel exploded(yes exploded) at 30,000 miles leaving me stranded. A clutch and flywheel should last longer then that, 100k maybe. I ended up trading it in on a Toyota. VW are engineered with driving performance in mind but are poorly built. If your willing to deal with the expensive upkeep then this is an excellent car. But if you want reliability go with something from japan. The reliability track record of VW will prevent me from buying another.

Fun, but Unreliable
By Dan on 11/20/09 18:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle from a VW dealer a little over a year ago. Fun to drive, mileage is excellent. However, I've spent way too much time in the dealer's service waiting room. Broken trunk latch, peeling radio controls, two bad cooling fans, bad rear brake calipers, smearing and chattering windshield wipers. In a few days I'm having the windshield replaced because it is so scratched and full of tiny pitting that it is dangerous to drive at night. Dealership claims the windshield is due to "external factors", but based on the uniformity of the pitting I'm sure it is a materials defect. I've wasted too much time getting this car fixed!

Great car!
By Andrew S on 09/24/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My overall experience with my first VW is great. I travel for my job which means I'm in my car for 3-5 hours everyday. Being 6'2", the electric leather seats with memory is a wonderful feature and very comfortable. The pickup and fuel economy mix is perfect as I like to take the corners quick and use the cruise control for the highways. Good looks and solid VW engineering. Purchased in Dec 08 and this review written in Sept 09 it's been great.

Never again!
By Never Again! on 08/26/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

First and LAST VW
By Sara on 08/07/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car but mine was a lemon. Features are great, love the German design. Never own one without at bumper to bumper warranty

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn on 07/31/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan on 05/19/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

What now
By crr on 03/07/09 22:01 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue on 03/05/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan on 01/08/09 07:41 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !